• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

August 2018. Still no borderless window GML toggle.

hdarren

And Death's Gambit's steam reviews are getting butchered for it. It's literally a toggle in the Windows Game Options how hard can it be just to add a GML toggle? :mad:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Ummm.... Okay, so I've been going through the Death's Gambit reviews and so far (from about 20 negative reviews) I've only seen borderless window mentioned ONCE and that was in relation to the issues they're having with game speed in fullscreen. So I wouldn't say they're being "butchered" - it's still "mostly positive" with 300+ reviews. As for your request for a toggle to do this, file a ticket with the helpdesk. The more tickets YYG get the more they are aware that devs want this and the more likely they are to add it in (if possible... it may not be or it may be a lot of work, I don't know as I'm not a dev and have no idea how these things are programmed).

EDIT: After a proper look, from 85 negative reviews, borderless is mentioned twice that I can see...

hdarren

A borderless window option would fix the full screen speed issue that is unlikely to be fixed by yoyo since it's a problem with gsync.

How do I file a ticket?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
A borderless window option would fix the full screen speed issue that is unlikely to be fixed by yoyo since it's a problem with gsync.
I don't see how... All it means is that those people that have the issue and are required to play in a window rather than fullscreen will be able to choose borderless or not, but it doesn't fix the issue. Anyway, file a bug! Like I say, the more that do the more likely are that YYG will look into the situation (if they aren't already, which they may be... I don't know).

Fern

In the meantime after filing your bug check out the marketplace, there are a few extensions which allow you to use borderless windows and they are also free.
They don't work how you'd expect. None of them do. I just ended up providing windowed or fullscreen and haven't had a single complaint. If people leave a negative review for purely that reason, then you should probably just ignore it.

rIKmAN

They don't work how you'd expect. None of them do. I just ended up providing windowed or fullscreen and haven't had a single complaint. If people leave a negative review for purely that reason, then you should probably just ignore it.
They don't work as expected in what way?

hdarren

I have a question related to the Death's Gambit's problems with 144hz monitors overwriting the game's speed when going fullscreen!

Is it possible to create a fake fullscreen effect, by keeping the game windowed but make the port size exactly the same size as the desktop resolution then move the window up and left to hide the window borders?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Is it possible to create a fake fullscreen effect, by keeping the game windowed but make the port size exactly the same size as the desktop resolution then move the window up and left to hide the window borders?
Yes, perfectly possible. My game Skein does this... It has Fullscreen/Fullscreen Windowed/Windowed scaling options in the game... I have this which does it perfectly:

Code:
window_set_size(display_get_width(), display_get_height());
window_set_position(0, 0);

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
It does not work reliably as Windows can arbitrarily decide that have the window effectively stuck (with no draggable areas within user's reach) is bad, and resize the window to fit screen with some padding instead.

The linked extension of mine has the game use the "borderless" option and then conditionally enables a window border for the game by sticking the game window inside a "helper" window using WinAPI's MDI functionality.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
It does not work reliably as Windows can arbitrarily decide that have the window effectively stuck (with no draggable areas within user's reach) is bad, and resize the window to fit screen with some padding instead.
Interesting... I've not ever seen that happen, nor have any users mentioned such an issue. Good to be aware of though...

JeffJ

While on the subject, I recently tested my game on a 144hz monitor, and the game ran at that speed (as in: waaay too fast) even though it's set to 60 FPS. Didn't matter whether VSYNC was on or off. I had to manually turn down the screen's refresh rate to 60hz to fix it.

How can we avoid this? I can already envision the Steam reviews of people with 144hz monitors - especially those where it can't be turned down.

rIKmAN

While on the subject, I recently tested my game on a 144hz monitor, and the game ran at that speed (as in: waaay too fast) even though it's set to 60 FPS. Didn't matter whether VSYNC was on or off. I had to manually turn down the screen's refresh rate to 60hz to fix it.

How can we avoid this? I can already envision the Steam reviews of people with 144hz monitors - especially those where it can't be turned down.
https://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=29146

Fix looks to be targeting v2.2.1.

hdarren

I can already envision the Steam reviews of people with 144hz monitors - especially those where it can't be turned down.
Death's Gambit is a big game recently released and Steam reviews are getting butchered because of this issue. This is the type of thing we need hotfixes for as it makes GameMaker and its developers look very bad. When will v2.2.1 come out? Nobody knows!

M

MarceloP

I lied. @YellowAfterlife DM'd me almost instantly and linked me this: https://yellowafterlife.itch.io/window-freeze-fix
This is the only one that I've used that works.
I like people drawing workarounds with DLLs, but shouldn't this be something to toggle in the IDE? I mean, a feature from GMS2, not a user workaround? This and some other issues when talking about "The game should keep running", like is the HTML5 case, should be an developer's choice, not something imposed or "workarounded". The same goes for windows scales (like borderless, fullscreen and windowed).

Just my input on this kind of thing =X

Anyway, great fix.

hdarren

Yes, perfectly possible. My game Skein does this... It has Fullscreen/Fullscreen Windowed/Windowed scaling options in the game... I have this which does it perfectly:

Code:
window_set_size(display_get_width(), display_get_height());
window_set_position(0, 0);
There appears to be a problem with this. I have my taskbar at the bottom set to auto-hide and when I use the above script it appears to ignore this and so leaves a 18 pixel gap at the bottom of the screen. Even if I manually increase the display_get_height() variable it still leaves a gap. :(

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
"The game should keep running"
If you mean while the game tab has no focus, that is the browser vendor's choice (JS on inactive tabs is throttled to the rate of one update per a few seconds unless it's streaming audio/video) and you can thank constant abuse (ranging from autoplay videos and ads to cryptocurrency miners) for that becoming an enforced thing.

I really wouldn't use this as a workaround anyway. Press any of the window docking shortcuts (Win+Left/Win+Right) and the whole thing breaks. You really need to have a non-resizable borderless window if you want to do windowed fullscreen, so we just have to wait for them to add a toggle. That would also be a cross-platform, reliable solution as well.
My earlier linked extension has the game use borderless setting and embeds the game window inside a helper window if border is requested.

Cross-platform-ness is irrelevant for this specific feature because Windows is the only OS to effectively have >=3 ways of implementing fullscreen mode (DX exclusive, borderless, alt.sync - excluding any other configurations), 1 or more of which are always broken on select systems.

D

Dani

I really don't understand why there is no hot fix for this issue. Do we really need to wait until v2.2.1 is out, who knows when? This is a major bug. Nothing seems to work properly in full screen mode (frame rate issues, problems when you exit the game...), it's all problems. In windowed mode everything works fine, but we can't even toggle borderless window using GML to fake full screen mode (which is something we shouldn't be doing in the first place). Also, there is no borderless options for Mac and Linux, so this windowed workaround is actually unuseful.

There are plenty of devs trusting in GMS2, so...

Please, YoYo Games, if this full screen frame rate issue has been already fixed, release a hot fix.

Thanks.

Nodamex

I really don't understand why there is no hot fix for this issue. Do we really need to wait until v2.2.1 is out, who knows when? This is a major bug. Nothing seems to work properly in full screen mode (frame rate issues, problems when you exit the game...), it's all problems. In windowed mode everything works fine, but we can't even toggle borderless window using GML to fake full screen mode (which is something we shouldn't be doing in the first place). Also, there is no borderless options for Mac and Linux, so this windowed workaround is actually unuseful.

There are plenty of devs trusting in GMS2, so...

Please, YoYo Games, if this full screen frame rate issue has been already fixed, release a hot fix.

Thanks.
I have the same issue, I hope a hotfix will fix the problem.

DaveInDev

Sorry to unbury this thread, but is there any news since thten ?
Because despite my attempts, I stil cannot succeed in having a borderless windowed fullscreen.

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
Sorry to unbury this thread, but is there any news since thten ?
Because despite my attempts, I stil cannot succeed in having a borderless windowed fullscreen.
I also need this feature and I have already submitted it to YoYo Games via contact us. Just saying here.
All the other extensions I've tested don't work the way I hope they will (as they did in Game Maker 8).

Last edited:

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
This extension creates an extra executable (.exe), I already tested. I don't know how it was done, but basically it causes the application window to be drawn in another application (process). And that process is open in the background, which I don't like. Besides that sometimes there are some visual bugs and quickly an old windows vista window appears and disappears.

It was good the way the GM 8 worked, the border just disappeared and appeared quickly, without having to influence the current process and without causing visual glitches.

Last edited:

DaveInDev

Yes as @FoxyOfJungle said, this extension is a nice hack, but it still have problems when you switch from one window size to another. Somehow GMS does not always detect the correct size of the window when the border is switched on/off, even if you resize the appsurface and room correctly. And I do not like either the process opened in background, which could be strange for the final user.

It would be really nice if GMS2 includes this basic "borderless windowed fullscreen" functionnality that is proposed by most of actual games, and that can be generaly changed on the fly in the options menu.
I also sent a request to Yoyo, we'll see.
But if other users also need this functionnality, please send a request on your side, so that we'll have a chance to have a positive return. ;)

Last edited: