• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Android [SOLVED] Adaptive Icons

Here I quote what Dan mentioned in the "GMS Version 2.2.0" topic in this section:

The IDE release notes have now been changed to say NDK 17c, not b.

The runtime release notes are not being rebuilt for this hotfix, but I have fixed the link anyway for when we do update the runtime next - the FAQ in question is https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012115932
I'm confused with the content of the FAQ. Please explain to me about these;
  1. Do I have to rename the folders to match my target API? Say my target API is 28; Do I need to rename the folder as drawable-hdpi-v28 instead of what the FAQ mentioned (drawable-hdpi-v26)? Or is it alright to follow what the FAQ mentioned even if my target API is 28?
  2. The FAQ mentioned we must make drawable folders for all the icon sizes supported by GMS2. The Dev Documentation stated this "Each drawable must be 108dp x 108dp in size; background drawables must be opaque whilst foregrounds can contain transparency." The icon sizes in GMS2 are 36x36, 48x48, 72x72, 96x96, 144x144, and 192x192. For these 2 sizes; 144 and 192, they're over that 108 limit. Do we still have to make it have a foreground and background images? If yes, what's the dimension for those to be made adaptive? If not, do we still need to place the icon.xml in xxhdpi and xxxhdpi folders despite not having a foreground.png in each of those 2 folders? Or do we make a transparent .png that matches the background.png size just so these folders have 2 .png files in it like the others?
Thank you.

First of all, thank you for responding. I really appreciate the assistance. :)

So;
  1. Even if my target is 28, or in your case 27, retaining the "-v26" as the folder name is alright. - Good to know, then I won't have to rename it to match all the time.
  2. Ok, so I'll have to adjust the icon px size for background and foreground to the sizes shown in post by HW.
One last question, if we do all these through the "%ProgramData%" directory, will we still need to provide icon images in GMS's options -> android -> icons ?

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
H

HW.

One last question, if we do all these through the "%ProgramData%" directory, will we still need to provide icon images in GMS's options -> android -> icons ?
Yes, you should. It will be used by devices using API 25- and below if you support it btw as your minimum API device. But the size is different, it is 48dp or in pixels (up to 192px) as required on IDE. While the adaptive icons uses 108dp (up to 432px) for both back/foreground icons.

Ah yes, you're right, since the min API I set was 19, completely slipped from my mind. LOL.
Thank you very much for making this issue clear. :D

It's back to the drawing board then.

Edit:

Just a quick update.
Thanks to the both of you, I've managed to make and implement this requirement into my app, and tested it working as intended using API 28 emulator. That said, the updated APK is now live on GPS.:D:cool:

Last edited: