• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Why Cant Text be Handled Differently in the Editor

J

JasonDarby

Hello,

Perhaps I am saying something stupid....

When laying out my game in the editor, its really annoying that text is shown as a icon. Is it not possible for the editor to display basic text, to me this is a massive mistep when laying out a screen and wanting to see if the text is in the right place, as I have to run the game to see if I've selected the right size and placement.

Can this be changed, am I doing it wrong..

Cheers

PS While I'm at it, why cant you create an object at the same time as creating a sprite (using the same name and just putting obj at the start?) Again seems like another simple mistep.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Sadly, laying out text has to be done through code and there is no "live editor" for it build into GMS. There are workarounds though that help, for example: Make the text position and string variables and then add a breakpoint to the line where they are used, then run the game in debug mode. When the game pauses as the breakpoint is reached, you can then go into the instance and change the variable values and so change the text being drawn as well as it's position. You would then simply press play again in the debug and see the text updated. The other alternative is the excellent GMLive from @YellowAfterlife , which permits you to make changes in the game wile it is running.

J

JasonDarby

Thanks Nocturne.

Not great as it seems quite obvious these two things would make development a lot easier... looks like a couple of long days ahead getting that screen sorted.

TrunX

There are a lot of missing "comfort features" in GMS2 that other editors have implemented. Hope they are at least on the todo list :(