Demo Godgen: Randomly Generated Terrains in under 4 hours

M

Misty

So I was told to make a randomly generated terrain. I made this software in about 4 hours or so. It creates randomly generated worlds. I call it Godgen because the stuff it makes looks like the Fertile Crescent, the middle east, and the Bible is in the Middle East. And it automatically generates the world in under 30 seconds, which is even faster than God.

music to celebrate:

This is the map you get from the default random seed:

The Lagoon:

I call this map Knight Glory:

Posh Indie

That Guy
It takes 30 seconds to generate (Obviously not using shaders to offload onto the GPU) and looks like someone used the smudge tool in Photoshop. Images do not prove implementation, sorry. This is the Work in Progress forum, not DeviantArt.

Posh Indie

That Guy
Seems extremely underdeveloped. Where's the story? Mechanics? Is there even a GUI? If I wanted to watch terrain being generated I'd go play Minecraft.

Generation could use some work though. Recommend using this tutorial, heard it's much faster.

Debatable.
I have to agree. That tutorial would make those lumpy "Nidhogg Dragons" look more cohesive, too, rather than looking like craters that mysteriously happened right next to eachother. Remember: You may have to adapt the algorithm to suit your needs first, though, as nothing is boilerplate/"designed for your use-case specifically and spoon fed to you" (And covering every use-case would be impossible).

From the looks of it, that tutorial might even help you speed up your admittedly slow algorithm!

Also, I think you should change the title to "Blurry Nidhogg Dragons and Mario Kart 8 Video".

Last edited:
M

Misty

Seems extremely underdeveloped. Where's the story? Mechanics? Is there even a GUI? If I wanted to watch terrain being generated I'd go play Minecraft.

Generation could use some work though. Recommend using this tutorial, heard it's much faster.

Debatable.
That tutorial can't produce terrains or realistic rivers.

The main slowness of my algorithm is scanning through my grid. If I used YYC compiler it would probably be faster, but YYC decided to crap out on me because of some visual studio crap.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

which is even faster than God.
If you want to be real technical, God made the entire universe in 6 days, crafted very specifically, on purpose, not random, to ensure everything would hold together to some extent or another, even after the fall of man. You just compared something as infinitely complex as universe, in six days, to a couple random pixels, using technology God gave you the ability to study, called science, in a few hours. Good job. For someone who isn't religious, you talk a lot of trash about God and Jesus. Funny, almost as if you believed in them....

Do you have a score to settle with them or something? lol

Micah_DS

ON TOPIC: Honestly, the maps generated look quite rough to me. It needs work to look more natural - e.g. some of those shapes look like some sort of 'cookie cutter' was used to make the water. It's a good start of something though.

If you want to be real technical, God made the entire universe in 6 days, crafted very specifically, on purpose, not random, to ensure everything would hold together to some extent or another, even after the fall of man. You just compared something as infinitely complex as universe, in six days, to a couple random pixels, using technology God gave you the ability to study, called science, in a few hours. Good job. For someone who isn't religious, you talk a lot of trash about God and Jesus. Funny, almost as if you believed in them....

Truthfully, I wanted to say similar things before, but I'm afraid religious topics will only end poorly and no one will benefit from the discussion at all.
Not to mention the community guidelines will surely go out the window. I mean, the guidelines have already been stomped on a number of times in recent sensitive highly-opinionated topics.
But I guess I will say that I do wonder why Misty thinks bashing religion is something necessary? I feel it's over the line. There's no reason to bring it up at all, so why not just leave it alone?

BACK ON TOPIC: Any plans to use the generated maps for anything? Are they just to look at?

chamaeleon

That tutorial can't produce terrains or realistic rivers.

The main slowness of my algorithm is scanning through my grid. If I used YYC compiler it would probably be faster, but YYC decided to crap out on me because of some visual studio crap.
I don't see how yours is terrain generation. And your pictures or text doesn't show how to tile the actual graphics of the terrain.

M

Misty

Why so much hate though? I think he tried and that's what matters and it's a pretty good start imo.
I did try. For 4 hours. This was the best I could do and then I gave up, realizing this project was a waste of my energy, and that it would have no practical purpose for gaming.

But I was challenged, to make a terrain generator and so I did. The people who criticize it, say they can make stuff better but I am waiting to see. I sit here patiently twiddling my thumbs to wait for better worlds.

I wasn't so much bashing God, just saying I could make a better world than God and also be a better God than god too. I mean, what? I would send everyone to heaven, like instantly.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Why so much hate though? I think he tried and that's what matters and it's a pretty good start imo.
I like the artwork, especially knowing it was randomly, programmatically generated. Sorry for being off topic.