• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Team Request Looking for a pixel artist to collaborate with

J

jubjub

I have begun work on an action RPG and am looking for a pixel artist to co-op with in exchange for a share of the revenue. The plan is to create a vertical slice and then seek funding via kickstarter.

About Me
I finished my physics degree two years ago and decided I was going to spend my summer learning how to make games. I spent 3 months Frankenstein-ing a game together from tutorials and found myself totally hooked. I've carried on in a similar fashion ever since and am itching to start a more ambitious project.
Here is the only game I have made which has been released to the public:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/751950/TACTICAL/

My Part
I will be responsible for all of the programming. I have been using Gamemaker 1.4/2 for 2 years now and am more than comfortable enough to make this game; my main shortcoming in this regard is shaders (anything beyond the most basic of shaders is wizardry to me). I will also be designing just about everything in the game - you are encouraged to contribute as much (or as little) as you like to the non-visual aspects of the game.

About the Game
The setting I have at the moment is a town on an island at sea that has a portal to another world smack in the middle of its central plaza - this place will act as the central hub for shopping/crafting/getting quests etc. Adventurers come to the island from far and wide to enter the portal and plunder its riches - the player will be one such adventurer. I want the world beyond the portal to be both exciting and dangerous to explore; it dares you to tread further off the beaten path but punishes those who do so recklessly.

I have a rough premise in mind for the story but that is all so far - the player is searching for their father who's adventuring party went missing on the other side of the portal. I like the idea that the player's parent lead the finest group of adventurers through the portal on some noble undertaking of epic proportions... only to leave a trail of their corpses like milestones on a road to damnation.

So far I have implemented:
- Player movement and collisions
- A basic layout for the central hub
- A system for handling in-game items such as weapons/armour/tools/food etc
- Working inventory and equipment menu
- Working shops and bank
- Mixing and matching of player armour for all animations and directions
- Draw Ordering

Attached are a few screenshots of the game with my programmer art.
rpg_screenshot_garden.png rpg_screenshot_plaza.png rpg_screenshot_shop.png

Below is a list of mechanics/systems from other games that I enjoy and wish to include in this RPG:
- 8-Directional combat melee/ranged/magic (I want combat to feel like HLD but with more options)
- Gathering and crafting
- Carried items dropped on death with limited time for recovery (like Runescape)
- NPC followers (Bethesda RPGs)

Your Part
You will be responsible for producing all of the sprites/animations/tilesets/UI for the kickstarter build of the game. If you excel in a particular area of pixel art (and can do a passable job on other areas for the kickstarter) you are still encouraged to apply - we can, and most likely will, hire other artists to work on the other areas of the game assuming the kickstarter is successful. For this game it will be especially important that you have a decent knowledge of perspective. I will also be looking for your input on other aspects of the game - 2 heads are better than one :).

Requirements
- Must speak English to at least a conversational level
- Must be able to work on the game for at least 20 hours a week

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jubjub

Project Development Update

In the last month I have implemented the following systems:
- Coloured silhouettes for when the character/enemies are occluded.
silhouette.png
- Easy addition and management of quests along with a scroll-able quest log for the player's active quests.
quest log.png
- Dropping and picking up of items with dropped items persisting through room swaps.
- A crafting system that shows all items that can be crafted with the provided materials (and lets you make them). Below is the screen the player would see when using a forge.
crafting menu.png
- Cutscenes. They are now super easy to make and can be triggered in a number of ways.

I have also made progress on the structure and direction of the story but that's CLASSIFIED - you can get proper clearance if you apply and your application is successful :p

I am still in need of an artist so please reply here or message me if you are interested.

Last edited by a moderator:

hughrock18

Hello, my name is Brennan.

I'll happily apply.

While I have a lot of experience in all areas (programming, soundboarding, AND pixel art), pixel art is easily the most fun for me. I specialize in machines (anything mechanical really), but i can draw just about anything with great confidence (from animals to people to backgrounds! Of course, that includes being able to fully animate any of them with as high a frame rate as you'd like.

I'm here to both build a portfolio, and to get my name out there (they go hand-in-hand, obviously). It will take too long to finish building my own game.

Please let me know if you're interested. I look forward to a reply.

Thank you, Brennan