• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Legacy GM Why does gm 1.4's IDE suck so much?

M

Misty

Whenever I use the IDE, I put five 512x512 objects, and it crawls to 1 fps. The IDE cannot handle more than 5 objects, its pathetic.

Please don't tell me its my computer. My computer was made in 2014. It can run CS:GO at 20 fps.
There should be no reason it can render a 30,000 polygon CSGO map, but not be able to render 5 objects in a 2d editor...this is making me bubbling with rage...

My question is, does updating to 1.49999 help?

When I use it, this song plays in my head:

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
but not be able to render 5 objects in a 2d editor
As GMS1.4 is all Delphi GDI32, everything is software-rendered - that is, on your CPU.

InkBridge may perform ever so slightly better but I'd suggest to move to GMS2 if situation permits.

M

Misty

Like, it shouldn't perform like my computer is from 1995.

My graphics card is a AMD E2-3800 APU 1.3 ghz with Radeon HD graphics.
And I have 4 GB RAM.

GMS2 has a laggy IDE too.

Smiechu

You CPU runs at 1.3GHz and has 4 cores/threads. No turbo. It's AMD.

This is your bottleneck.

As stated GMS1.4 uses CPU for rendering, and it's very probable that it's not utilizing multithreading. So all the logic + graphic hangs on ONE 1,3GHz core.
This is an equivalent of cpu from year 2000. Sorry we are 20 years later.

Single core of my handy from 2015 has more power.

You need a new computer!

You can buy a used desktop with hi-end parts for couple of $, if your short on money.

M

Misty

You CPU runs at 1.3GHz and has 4 cores/threads. No turbo. It's AMD.

This is your bottleneck.

As stated GMS1.4 uses CPU for rendering, and it's very probable that it's not utilizing multithreading. So all the logic + graphic hangs on ONE 1,3GHz core.
This is an equivalent of cpu from year 2000. Sorry we are 20 years later.

Single core of my handy from 2015 has more power.

You need a new computer!

You can buy a used desktop with hi-end parts for couple of $, if your short on money.
No, it seems like GM's IDE is from the 2000's because it can't handle multithreading.

My current processor rates as 6/10 on CPUboss.com. Hardly something of the 2000s. If GM can't run on a 6/10 processor thats unreasonable. http://cpuboss.com/cpu/AMD-E2-3800
In contrast, an i3 rates only a 6.1. An i7, rates 8.1.

And you have to remember, more optimized technologies and better factory methods means a processor with the same stats as something from the 2000's, will run faster than it.
For instance, a 1 ghz single core processor from the 2000's will run much slower than a 1 ghz single core processor from 2010.

I used to have a 2 ghz processor, and it lagged even worse on it.

What computer do you recommend I buy right now?

Last edited:

Smiechu

....just get on with it... stop dreaming. GMS 1.4 is dead in couple of weeks. No super updates, no magic more, if you want to use it you need a new computer.

Just buy something modern with minimum i5 3.9GHz cpu and nice budged graphic like GT1030, 8-12GB ram, and SSD HD...
I don't know what you need? desktop? Laptop? 2in1? Surface? SSD?... launch e-bay. If your short on money look for used desktops.

Your CPU was low-end on the day of production already. I have an old desktop with i7 2600 CPU... design from 2011! and it's still considered as hi-end. I use it for music production (where everything is processed by CPU), and it's still more then I really need.
My father always said "Poor peaple can't afford buying cheap things".
Buy once somethimg worth it's price insted of buying hundreds of worthless thigs.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I always fall back to the GM8 theme whenever I notice a frame rate problem with the GMS 1.4 IDE. On several systems, I noticed a significant increase in performance when GDI32 isn't being glitzy.

Toque

(Based on your link) Unfortunately your cpu did ok for multicore scores. 2200. But single core 500. Makes sense /4.

So the CPU rating doesn’t really apply to running 1.4.

I did not realize 1.4 only ran on single core.
When I was looking for a new Macbook and checking benchmarks. Better CPU stand up much better over time.

A used better cpu might make more budget sense than a new computer.

Last edited:
M

Misty

(Based on your link) Unfortunately your cpu did ok for multicore scores. 2200. But single core 500. Makes sense /4.

So the CPI rating doesn’t really matter.

I did not realize 1.4 only ran on single core.
When I was looking for a new Macbook and checking benchmarks. Better CPU stand up much better over time.

A used better cpu might make more budget sense than a new computer.
Can't, I have a laptop.

I always fall back to the GM8 theme whenever I notice a frame rate problem with the GMS 1.4 IDE. On several systems, I noticed a significant increase in performance when GDI32 isn't being glitzy.
I use the GM 8 theme already, the inverted colors hurt my eyes.

Last edited:

Toque

Can't, I have a laptop.

That’s too bad. Good cpu laptops can be costly. I just bought one.

But my 2012 MacBook i5 Air 1.8 4 megs handled GM2 quite nicely. With other stuff running at the same time.

But I’m sure there are some deals around for something that would work.

1.4 won’t change. So I guess you will have to focus on things you can change.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Do you mean the code windows that are still dark after switching the theme? There's a way to fix that.

Copy the following into a file called gm8.col:
Code:
<!--This Document is generated by GameMaker, if you edit it by hand then you do so at your own risk!-->
<Colours>
  <Color0>0</Color0>
  <Color1>8388608</Color1>
  <Color2>16711680</Color2>
  <Color3>32768</Color3>
  <Color4>128</Color4>
  <Color5>128</Color5>
  <Color6>128</Color6>
  <Color7>8388736</Color7>
  <Color8>32896</Color8>
  <Color9>16777215</Color9>
  <Color10>14744314</Color10>
  <Color11>10512464</Color11>
  <Color12>0</Color12>
  <Color13>16777215</Color13>
  <Color14>255</Color14>
  <Color15>0</Color15>
  <Color16>0</Color16>
</Colours>
Then go into File > Preferences > Scripts and Code, click Import (under Colors) and select the gm8.col file. Restart to complete.

M

Misty

Do you mean the code windows that are still dark after switching the theme? There's a way to fix that.

Copy the following into a file called gm8.col:
Code:
<!--This Document is generated by GameMaker, if you edit it by hand then you do so at your own risk!-->
<Colours>
  <Color0>0</Color0>
  <Color1>8388608</Color1>
  <Color2>16711680</Color2>
  <Color3>32768</Color3>
  <Color4>128</Color4>
  <Color5>128</Color5>
  <Color6>128</Color6>
  <Color7>8388736</Color7>
  <Color8>32896</Color8>
  <Color9>16777215</Color9>
  <Color10>14744314</Color10>
  <Color11>10512464</Color11>
  <Color12>0</Color12>
  <Color13>16777215</Color13>
  <Color14>255</Color14>
  <Color15>0</Color15>
  <Color16>0</Color16>
</Colours>
Then go into File > Preferences > Scripts and Code, click Import (under Colors) and select the gm8.col file. Restart to complete.
No, I was saying I already have the GM8 colors, the old colors were hard to read.

I

icuurd12b42

Close chrome (and slack since it uses chrome), I heard that may help

Mick

What computer do you recommend I buy right now?
I was using GMS1.4 on a now twelve year old laptop for years without any major issues. It had a Core Duo processor running at 2.33GHz, so I guess you don't necessarily need a new computer, just one with a good CPU. I usually buy used quality laptops, I got the one I'm using now for 1/5 of the original price.