• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows GMS2 crashing on start up?

CMAllen

This seems to happen occasionally when I open the program (on average, once a day). It'll crash before anything shows up at all. It'll crash when the splash screen shows up. It'll crash when selecting a project to load. Sometimes it'll load but parts of the dev environment don't seem to have loaded properly, so things like complile/test/clean immediately abort with a generic "Error" message with no information of any kind. Killing GMS2 and loading again will fix the partial-load problem.

I've done multiple integrity tests of the files (running through Steam), and they all come back fine. Am I alone in this experience with GMS2, or is this...common? Because while GMS1.4 wasn't exactly the picture of stability, I don't ever recall having it crash and burn this often or in this many different ways.

(it should be noted that part of this is only more apparent to me because I've noticed that adding sprite resources has some serious memory leaking issues, where GMS2's memory footprint can bloat several megs with each sprite created -- the only fix to which is to kill GMS2 and start it again)

codemouse

I was having this problem randomly on OSX with 136. I don't have a repro and honestly I don't even have a project yet beyond a first-save with no contents. Now that GMS2 has updated to a new core version will have to wait and see?