Why is GM2 recommended for 2D games?

• Thread starter Darth Binary 1010
  • Start date
D

Darth Binary 1010

Before I used GM2 or Unity, I kept hearing, if you want to make 2D games, use GM in 2017-18. I've made a handful of prototypes with GM2 and Unity, and besides the environments being quite different, I didn't feel like I couldn't do anything I wanted with both of them. I've heard Unity had lackluster 2D support in the past, and this advice people freely dish out might have been their previous experiences with it back in the day. Or maybe I've yet to encounter things since I'm just making prototypes?

I'd love to hear why people who have experience with both chose GM2 - if there was a reason besides personal preference of the environments.

MudbuG

This is not an in- depth answer, but I do have one concrete reason that I use GM for 2d. In Unity, I have problems with smooth sprite movement.. "jitter", even with simple forward constant movement. There are lots of posts about that issue in various places, but never a good solid solution.

With GM, that's one problem I don't really have to deal with at all.

Also working with pixels instead of units just feels way more intuitive for a 2d game.

RangerX

You can always use any of them. But GMS is a dedicated for 2D engine. Its thought for 2D and in some aspect (like the previous poster mentionned) it gives a little plus to your dev methods and general ease of use.
It would be the same if you reverse the question. People would prefer Unity for 3D games and here again, that's what Unity is made for so it makes sense.