• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Game Executable Requires "Run as Administator"

O

Otyugra

Imagine this: I make a demo of a game (I create an application in GameMaker Studio 1.4), then I send that executable file to my friend so that he can test it. We both have Windows 10. My friend tells me the only way to run the game is to "run as administrator." This is far from ideal given that I don't want for him to have to "run [it] as [an] administrator" every time he play-tests the game. More importantly, I have never sold a completed computer game before (but expect to sell a game for the first time soon) and as such, I don't know if this minor barrier to entry will have a negative domino effect (such as people not being able to play the game they purchased).

How can this problem be fixed between my friend and I (on whose end is causing the problem), and second, will this have a negative impact when I go to sell the game? Is this a GameMaker quirk? Does this even have anything to do with GameMaker? Help would be appreciated; I would be willing to send a .exe file of my game to someone so that they can test if they need to run it as an admin to prove or disprove my friend's claim.

I

icuurd12b42

the only thing he should see running the program is a warning that the game is not signed (unknown publisher) and be presented with the option of "run anyway"
in the case of the warning happening on a setup program it would show "continue anyway"

maybe your friend misread the warning

One reason he may be seeing a require admin warning may be that he has very little rights on his computer account...

now if he sees no warning and the game simply won't run unless he runs as administrator. it may be for the reason just mentioned... Or are you are trying to open a folder using a dll in the game?

O

Otyugra

I can now confirm that this problem is being caused on my friend's end. It seems most people don't have this problem when I have them run one of my games. Nonetheless, it is kinda weird that he has full admin control over his account but still can't run the game at all without the R.A.A. command.

N

NeonBits

GM default save location is in the admin session on my side. If I save in a different user folder and then load the game from that user folder, GM won't compile the game. Any idea why? Also the GM icon on GM files doesn't appear in the user session. Does it mean that those "backups" cannot be used?

O

Otyugra

GM default save location is in the admin session on my side. If I save in a different user folder and then load the game from that user folder, GM won't compile the game. Any idea why? Also the GM icon on GM files doesn't appear in the user session. Does it mean that those "backups" cannot be used?
Please make your own ask topic. There's no reason to highjack mind because I can't help you.

N

NeonBits

"highjack" is not the way I've seen it; your thread is "run as admin"; because the files didn't wanted to load from a "user location", I thought it could be a similar case once the exe is made and wanted to share and read others opinions; it's a forum after all and it's cleaner than making multiple posts of a same subject.