• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Graphics Ori and Hollow Knight: Possible on GameMaker 2?

G

GameMakerNewb87

Hello, new indie game dev here. Looking to build a Metroidvania and I notice Ori and the Blind Forest and Hollow Knight are the two that seems to come out of most mouths recently (as well as others). The reason I mention those two specifically is because of the beauty of hand-drawn artwork and both games utilize that art style. That's the art style I want for my game. I plan on using an iPad Pro and an app called Procreate to do it. I also want to use Adobe Animate.

Could games very similar to those be built in Game Maker Studio 2? The mechanics of both seems very straightforward and standard...I'd imagine it's the art design I'd have to work out, but there's nothing stopping me from using this engine instead of Unity is there? I noticed both of those games are Unity games.

L

Lithalean

1.) Affinity Photo > Procreate.
2.) Spine > Adobe Animate.
The engine you use is irrelevant to the art work, as long as the end result is native.
(As opposed to something like javascript/html being wrapped in something like nw.js / electron / cordova)(RPG Maker)

Both engines are capable of doing what you want.
What you have to figure out, is what works for YOU!
All that matters is the finish line. Finishing the game. Use what let’s you accomplish that the most efficiently.

In my opinion (When the Development Team = 1 Person):
GMS2 = Musicians / Artists (1st) Coders (2nd)
Unity = Coders (1st) Musicians / Artists (2nd)

Last edited by a moderator:

Niels

I'm making a HD metrovania at the moment and I haven't encountered any problems with using HD graphics yet :)

So yeah I think it's quite possible to make a game that looks like hollow knight in GMS2, it's just that the game feel will be different because games like HK and Ori make heavy use of the physics system build into unity, and GMS box2d just isn't great for that purpose.

But beware that Ori and hollow knight are professional products made by experienced Devs, so aiming for that level will dissapoint frustrate you:)

Toque

It’s possible sure.
Look at the featured games to see what typical games are made with the engine.

Artwork of that quality will cost thousands regardless of the engine. Could take years pending the size of the game and size of the developement team.

Doing the artwork yourself......
I’m guessing from the question your problem will be about skills not the tools.

Do you ask what type of paint and Scaffolding do I need to paint a ceiling like the Sistine chapel?

You can try out a lot of those tools for free.
I would suggest a SMALL game with some influence of games you admire. Practice and learn skills.

Remember to have fun!

Last edited: