• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

How to make the player fail?

N

NoFontNL

Hello, I'm working on a game, and now I want to make the player 'fail'.
Why?
Because I want to learn the player something. I tried making the one way passages clear to the player by creating a level, you have to 'guess' which path leads to the end. But if the player guesses the right path, then he doesn't learn how the one way passages work, because they see the finish and never tried accessing the one way paths from the 'wrong' side.

How can I make the player fail? The level musn't change after he failed, I just want to design it so, that he has to try it at least once. It's kinda hard.
So...
Any help would be appreciated.

Didjargo

The Dark Souls series and Super Meat Boy provides a good examples of games where constant failure teaches the player how to beat the game. Dark Souls is combat based and you have to die against an enemy several times to learn how to fight it. Super Meat Boy does it with one-hit deaths in brutal precision platforming, but respawns are super quick and the level remains marked with where you have been.

N

NoFontNL

My game is not so survival like, it's more puzzle sort of game.