Discussion Information Currency

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Misty

The bronze age was the age of trade. Then came gold. Then came fiat. Now, we live in the age of Information Currency. Random strangers trying to compete for attention of your mind. The shouts of 1000 voices all trying to yell at you to buy something. Impersonal. Soul-sucking.

This epiphany came to me when a sales lady came to my door today, trying to sell me stuff. At first I felt sorry for her, and wanted to buy even though it was 80 dollars. But then I realized she wasn't even selling anything honestly, there was another hidden 60 dollar fee, she didn't even bother to warn me about. Then an hour later she comes knocking on my door again. It was like, being attacked by a zombie. She didn't care about me, the sale wasn't about helping me at all. She could care less about my thoughts and feelings, hope wants and needs.

I browse the internet. Apparently I have 13 notifications on Twitch. I didn't even know I had a Twitch. Then the darn thing freezes my whole browser and my 20 tabs. My notifications aren't probably even from a person, but a robot giving me generic messages. This is what life is becoming. Soulless, modernized, and scary, like those Black Mirror episodes. Where is the humanity?

I mean I go into my emails and have like 2000 messages from random strangers. Telling me how I can get rich quick or get laid easy. There is so much spam I don't even know what things will really make me rich or which are phony. There is literally no way I can even determine the credibility of some of this stuff.

Then I go on a page. On the page are ads to other ads! On blogs are 10 links to other links which then have ten links to other links! So many ads it freezes my machine! So many ads that they must advertise the ads! Ads that cover up other ads! More ads than webpage!

It feels like I am in a giant city of Neo Bowser. With ads screaming at me blasting in my ears. And the ads are pounding me Flowing into my eyes pulsating like in 2001 space odysseys but with clockwork orange and the ads are Streaming through space and 1000 voices all talking to me yelling at me trying to get me to do things. And not a single one of these people who cares about me as a person a soul.

And its like ENOUGH! Some people say I am guilty of this too. That I do the whole "information currency" as well. But what I do is genuine. Personal. Not sterilized and removed of soul, not watered down and made to an ad. I speak from the heart and tell it like it is. Talking to me is like talking to a sage around a hearty campfire. Not plastic. Not zombified and sterilized like a dystopian society of Black Mirror. I tell it like it is.

All of it just gets to be too much

Last edited:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Talking to me is like talking to a sage around a hearty campfire. Not plastic. Not zombified and sterilized like a dystopian society of Black Mirror. I tell it like it is.
Hmmm.... such humble words.

Maybe you wanna stop talking and actually listen a bit? Maybe, just maybe, you might learn something... although I suspect that you'd just ignore anyone whos opinion is contrary to your own narrow world view. Or maybe become a preacher? 'Cause most of your topics come across as preaching the gospel of Misty and don't really seem like you give much of a damn about the opinions of others, only your own...

As for "where is the humanity", if you'd actually care to look around this very forum, for example, you'll see LOADS of humanity. Every single reply to a problem in Programming or Tech support is a REAL and ALTRUISTIC slice of humanity by people who love what they do. Maybe if you interacted more and preached less, you'd see it... ;)

M

Misty

Hmmm.... such humble words.

Maybe you wanna stop talking and actually listen a bit?
Maybe that advice is better suited to others not me. After all they post things like "no further analysis required".
What profound insights should have I pondered on, from the post saying "Try killing these pesky undead rats... or try to invade someone else's world."?
I don't even know what that means.

Maybe, just maybe, you might learn something... although I suspect that you'd just ignore anyone whos opinion is contrary to your own narrow world view. Or maybe become a preacher? 'Cause most of your topics come across as preaching the gospel of Misty and don't really seem like you give much of a damn about the opinions of others, only your own...
Seems like everyone else has a narrow worldview and don't want to believe my opinions.

As for "where is the humanity", if you'd actually care to look around this very forum, for example, you'll see LOADS of humanity. Every single reply to a problem in Programming or Tech support is a REAL and ALTRUISTIC slice of humanity by people who love what they do. Maybe if you interacted more and preached less, you'd see it... ;)
I have paid my dues. I bought GM fair and square. I have helped noobs from time to time. First thing you are doing is using a technique to distract from the argument. You mention a small corner of the internet and then say "See, proves the world is good."
Then, lets get real. Begging for programming help. What it is the equivalent of homeless asking for spare change, and some people decide to give them change. When I see homeless people sitting on a box in the street, I don't say "Oh the humanity". Giving spare change is something that is expected, ordinary.

Now, what else is your example. Giving examples of the coding realm. 1's and 0's. Slaving away at a machine. Is that the future of humanity to you.

flerpyderp

Maybe that advice is better suited to others not me. After all they post things like "no further analysis required".
No further analysis required for the majority of others reading your post, however you would do well to stop vomitting cringe inducing nonsense for just a couple of minutes and actually read what you're posting and realize the extent of how ridiculous you sound.

Like this:
Seems like everyone else has a narrow worldview and don't want to believe my opinions.
Just sums it up really.

By the way, there's nothing remotely profound about realizing that everyone wants your money, and that nobody beyond those directly involved in your life really cares about you on any personal level. This isn't something people will argue with, it's the way the world works. All you've done here is whine about it, then declare yourself to be a "sage".

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
lol! There's a difference between not AGREEING with your opinions and not BELIEVING your opinions. I believe your opinions, because you state them. What's not to believe? If I don't believe your opinions, that would mean I believe you to be lying... which would make you a troll and so I'd have to ban you... ;)

I would also say that the use of the word "believe" here is interesting. To quote the dictionary:
"Belief: an acceptance that something exists or is true, especially one without proof."
So by your own admission you have no proof of what you say? You really are Preacher Misty!

Then, lets get real. Begging for programming help. What it is the equivalent of homeless asking for spare change, and some people decide to give them change. When I see homeless people sitting on a box in the street, I don't say "Oh the humanity". Giving spare change is something that is expected, ordinary.
There is a profound difference between begging and asking. And I find your analogy here distasteful... A homeless person asks out of necessity to LIVE. They NEED help. The people posting here don't. They're not going to die if they don't get it. This shows that it's maybe you that lacks humanity and not others.

As for the rest of your initial post, if you want to think negatively about these things and dwell on them, then fine. But don't expect anyone else to read what you post and think the world is terrible etc... Humanity is amazing and if you care to look for the signs they are everywhere... let's just look at some news from 2017:

1. February 6: The age of the bionic body – from robot hands, controlled by your mind, to electronic eyeballs, experts reveal 6 medical marvels introduced by new technology.
  2. February 6: Biologists help deaf mice hear again by inserting healthy genes into their ears – the work shows an ‘unprecedented recovery of inner ear function’ and could be used in humans.
  3. February 10: Computers turn medical sleuths and identify skin cancer – algorithm works as reliably as board-certified dermatologists, study shows.
  4. February 15: For the blind, an actual-reality headset – not just Star Trek fiction, a new visor from eSight is a lightweight, high-contrast vision system for legally blind people.
  5. February 17: Wyoming man receives ‘miracle’ face transplant 10 years after suicide attempt.
  6. February 18: Smartphones to become pocket doctors after scientists discover camera flash and microphone can be used to diagnose illness.
  7. February 20: Hope for millions as scientists discover multiple sclerosis treatment that can slow its progression.
  8. February 22: Life expectancy to break 90 barrier by 2030.
  9. March 2: Teenager’s sickle cell reversed with world-first therapy.
  10. March 3: Terminal cancer patients go into complete remission after groundbreaking gene therapy.
  11. March 3: UTA professor invents breath monitor to detect flu.
  12. March 6: Google’s artificial intelligence can diagnose cancer faster than human doctors – the system is able to scan samples to determine whether or not tissues are cancerous.
  13. March 8: The robot will see you now! Chat-bots that monitor symptoms will become more accurate and quicker at spotting illness than doctors.
  14. March 8: Scientists discover new state of matter called ‘Time Crystals’ – time crystals seemingly break the rules of normal time-keeping and potentially pave the way for quantum computers and quantum sensors.
  15. March 10: Scientists make progress toward engineering synthetic yeast – the work brings to six the number of yeast chromosomes that now can be synthesized, according to new research.
  16. March 13: More people could benefit from BRCA breast cancer drugs.
  17. March 14: Swedish men on target to be first to completely stub out smoking.
  18. March 15: Startup serves up chicken produced from cells in lab – ‘clean meat’ developers say it avoids towering costs of feeding, caring for livestock.
  19. March 15: The next innovation in shipping – Wind Power; Maersk launches trial run of tanker using rotating cylinders that can function as high-tech sails.
  20. March 18: An insect’s eye inspires a new camera for smartphones – a series of eyelets can make cameras much smaller.
  21. March 23: New rotavirus vaccine could prevent thousands of childhood deaths.
  22. March 24: Machines which detect cancer symptoms could be out in a year.
  23. March 27: Can tech speed up emergency room care? A New York hospital system tests a new way to use telemedicine, where E.R. doctors examine patients without being in the same room.
  24. April 2: Plastic-eating fungus may solve garbage problem.
  25. April 6: To handle electronic waste, freeze it and pulverize it – scientists say a new technique can make it more profitable to harvest metals and other materials from circuit boards in old TVs, computers and more.
  26. April 26: Artificial ‘brain in a dish’ is created in a world first: Breakthrough could shed light on conditions such as Alzheimer’s.
  27. May 2: CRISPR eliminates HIV in live animals.
  28. May 4: Scientists engineer baker’s yeast to produce penicillin molecules.
  29. May 5: Iceland drills 4.7 km down into volcano to tap clean energy.
  30. May 11: Scientists have created an exoskeleton to stop elderly people from falling.
  31. May 11: HIV life expectancy ‘near normal’ thanks to new drugs.
  32. May 17: Lab-grown blood stem cells produced at last – two research teams cook up recipe to make long-sought cells in mice and people.
  33. May 18: Antibodies from a human survivor define sites of vulnerability for broad protection against ebola viruses.
  34. May 18: Scientists look to skies to improve tsunami detection.
  35. May 22: World’s largest aircraft completes successful test flight.
  36. May 23: MIT researchers develop a moisture-responsive workout suit with live cells.
  37. June 1: ‘Instantly rechargeable’ battery could change the future of electric and hybrid automobiles.
  38. June 1: Extinct species of Galapagos giant tortoise may be resurrected.
  39. June 3: SpaceX successfully launches reused Dragon spacecraft for ISS resupply.
  40. June 3: ‘Liquid Biopsy’ passes early test in quest to find cancer in blood .
  41. June 13: Live antibiotics use bacteria to kill bacteria.
  42. July 3: This Silicon Valley company wants to ‘make better humans’ through biohacking.
  43. July 6: DNA from sharks that can live up to 400 years could hold the secret to a longer life.
  44. July 6: Robot wars – knee surgery marks new battleground for companies.
  45. July 9: Banks deploy AI to cut off terrorists’ funding.
  46. July 11: Scientists design a solar cell that captures nearly all energy of solar spectrum.
  47. July 17: Bananas – scientists create vitamin A-rich fruit that could save hundreds of thousands of children’s lives.
  48. July 22: This new material could let phones and electric cars charge in seconds.
  49. July 26: New artificial spider silk: stronger than steel and 98 percent water.
  50. July 28: Melanoma: – new, more effective drug steps closer.
  51. July 28: Could stem cells reverse the aging process)?
  52. July 28: Juvenescence AI to develop first compounds generated by Insilico’s deep-learned drug discovery engines.
  53. August 4: IBM storage breakthrough paves way for 330TB tape cartridges.
  54. August 28: Anti-inflammatory drug ‘cuts heart attack risk’.
  55. August 30: Trial raises Parkinson’s therapy hope.
  56. August 30: FDA clears first gene-altering therapy — ‘a living drug’ — for childhood leukemia.
  57. September 7: Shropshire farm completes harvest with nothing but robots; a world-first in automation.
  58. September 12: U.S. middle-class incomes reached highest-ever level in 2016, Census Bureau says.
  59. September 23: Newly engineered antibody could kill off 99 per cent of HIV strains.
  60. September 28: DNA surgery on embryos removes disease.
  61. October 9: Google is going to use experimental high-altitude balloons to provide internet in Puerto Rico.
  62. October 18: Dyslexia link to eye spots confusing brain, say scientists.
  63. October 29: Saudi Arabia to allow women into sports stadiums.
  64. November 13: Brain implant boosts human memory by mimicking how we learn.
  65. November 14: ‘Better than Concorde’ supersonic 1,687mph airliner to ‘revolutionize’ air travel by 2025 (link).
  66. November 15: The firm that can 3D print human body parts.
  67. November 15: US scientists try 1st gene editing in the body.
  68. November 15: US biotech unicorn steps up competition for BioNTech’s mRNA personalized cancer vaccine.
  69. November 24: Cancer breakthrough: Potential cure could be ready as early as next year.
  70. November 26: Diabetes drug ‘could be used to end agony of transplant rejection’.
  71. November 29: Expanding DNA’s alphabet lets cells produce novel proteins.
  72. November 30: Designer proteins—the new generation of HIV vaccines being put to the test
  73. November 30: Trees are covering more of the land in rich countries – the spread of forests is not always popular. But it is sure to continue.
  74. December 1: HIV breakthrough as cancer drug could hold secret to curing the virus.
  75. December 1: In Rwanda, drones deliver medical supplies to remote areas – such services help people in isolated regions – and could yield lessons for making shipments elsewhere.
  76. December 4: China rules aquaculture as fish output triples in decade.
  77. December 7: Bumper crops boost global cereal supplies in 2017/18.
  78. December 10: Democracy is far from dead – in 12 years, the share of the world’s people who live in ‘free’ countries has risen.
  79. December 11: Huntington’s breakthrough may stop disease.
  80. December 11: Tasmanian tigers aren’t extinct (or at least they won’t be for long!) – Scientists unlock mysterious creature’s DNA – and plan to clone it bring the beast back to Australia.
  81. December 13: Streetlights could be replaced by glowing trees, after scientists make plants shine in the dark.
  82. December 14: Haemophilia A trial results ‘mind-blowing’.
  83. December 18: New York Times posts list of heroic and courageous people (this one is supplied for extra reading)
And that's just a TINY selection of the marvelous things that people are doing to improve humanity. So, yeah, spam and sales and faceless internet can be depressing and sometimes make it feel like there is no humanity in the world, but if you pull your head out your a** and look outside, you'll see that the human race is marvellous and there are far more fascinating and exciting things we are doing for GOOD than for bad. ;)

Last edited:

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
I browse the internet.
That's your problem.

As Nocturne suggested above, Internet ads and spam are not "humanity". Like crime, the majority of spam is created by a minority of users. The rest of us walk in the sun, visit the park, and treat others with respect. Most of us really do care about each other.

Your lament about faceless spam reminds me of the tragedy of the commons, where a public resource is overused by a minority of the population. Internet spam is a modern example of that effect.

M

Misty

No further analysis required for the majority of others reading your post, however you would do well to stop vomitting cringe inducing nonsense for just a couple of minutes and actually read what you're posting and realize the extent of how ridiculous you sound.

Like this:

Just sums it up really.

By the way, there's nothing remotely profound about realizing that everyone wants your money, and that nobody beyond those directly involved in your life really cares about you on any personal level. This isn't something people will argue with, it's the way the world works. All you've done here is whine about it, then declare yourself to be a "sage".
Total oversimplification from a total naysayer who has nothing to contribute to advancing the conversation.

Here's what you do. You get in a bad mood. You log on into the internet, find someone who is trying to make the world a better place, and then bad-mouth them and accuse them of talking drivel.

It's people like me who prevent people like you from having a blade runner, 1984 future. Its people like me who fight for rights and liberties. And here you are whining and bad mouthing us like complete lack of gratitude. Then you get a couple lackeys and pat yourselves on the back, like you want a congratulations for bullying someone who wants a better world.

lol! There's a difference between not AGREEING with your opinions and not BELIEVING your opinions. I believe your opinions, because you state them. What's not to believe? If I don't believe your opinions, that would mean I believe you to be lying... which would make you a troll and so I'd have to ban you... ;)

I would also say that the use of the word "believe" here is interesting. To quote the dictionary:

So by your own admission you have no proof of what you say? You really are Preacher Misty!

There is a profound difference between begging and asking. And I find your analogy here distasteful... A homeless person asks out of necessity to LIVE. They NEED help. The people posting here don't. They're not going to die if they don't get it. This shows that it's maybe you that lacks humanity and not others.
Better to be a preacher than an oversensitive Mr. Literal who bad mouths good people and tries to make themselves look good. It's the same technique used by fake-news and so-called progressives, they get in this little sensitive bubble and then twist what you say around and act hyper-sensitive about it. It feels like a repeat of going to some bible belt school where everything was against the rules.

You are very gullible if you actually believe homeless will die without the spare change they get. Many of them are hustlers and just pretending to be homeless. Some of them are homeless but just waste their money on booze and drugs. And keep going with your fake-news stretch of hitting me with vicious character attacks because you happen to be in a position of authority which makes you immune to character attacks of your own, while I pretend to be civil and "haha" while you continue to throw balloons at the clown. So no more "hahaha" and you have really hit a nerve, if you think you can continue to use me as your personal punching bag, just because you run the GMC, then you have another thing coming.

As for the rest of your initial post, if you want to think negatively about these things and dwell on them, then fine. But don't expect anyone else to read what you post and think the world is terrible etc... Humanity is amazing and if you care to look for the signs they are everywhere... let's just look at some news from 2017:

1. February 6: The age of the bionic body – from robot hands, controlled by your mind, to electronic eyeballs, experts reveal 6 medical marvels introduced by new technology.
  2. February 6: Biologists help deaf mice hear again by inserting healthy genes into their ears – the work shows an ‘unprecedented recovery of inner ear function’ and could be used in humans.
  3. February 10: Computers turn medical sleuths and identify skin cancer – algorithm works as reliably as board-certified dermatologists, study shows.
  4. February 15: For the blind, an actual-reality headset – not just Star Trek fiction, a new visor from eSight is a lightweight, high-contrast vision system for legally blind people.
  5. February 17: Wyoming man receives ‘miracle’ face transplant 10 years after suicide attempt.
  6. February 18: Smartphones to become pocket doctors after scientists discover camera flash and microphone can be used to diagnose illness.
  7. February 20: Hope for millions as scientists discover multiple sclerosis treatment that can slow its progression.
  8. February 22: Life expectancy to break 90 barrier by 2030.
  9. March 2: Teenager’s sickle cell reversed with world-first therapy.
  10. March 3: Terminal cancer patients go into complete remission after groundbreaking gene therapy.
  11. March 3: UTA professor invents breath monitor to detect flu.
  12. March 6: Google’s artificial intelligence can diagnose cancer faster than human doctors – the system is able to scan samples to determine whether or not tissues are cancerous.
  13. March 8: The robot will see you now! Chat-bots that monitor symptoms will become more accurate and quicker at spotting illness than doctors.
  14. March 8: Scientists discover new state of matter called ‘Time Crystals’ – time crystals seemingly break the rules of normal time-keeping and potentially pave the way for quantum computers and quantum sensors.
  15. March 10: Scientists make progress toward engineering synthetic yeast – the work brings to six the number of yeast chromosomes that now can be synthesized, according to new research.
  16. March 13: More people could benefit from BRCA breast cancer drugs.
  17. March 14: Swedish men on target to be first to completely stub out smoking.
  18. March 15: Startup serves up chicken produced from cells in lab – ‘clean meat’ developers say it avoids towering costs of feeding, caring for livestock.
  19. March 15: The next innovation in shipping – Wind Power; Maersk launches trial run of tanker using rotating cylinders that can function as high-tech sails.
  20. March 18: An insect’s eye inspires a new camera for smartphones – a series of eyelets can make cameras much smaller.
  21. March 23: New rotavirus vaccine could prevent thousands of childhood deaths.
  22. March 24: Machines which detect cancer symptoms could be out in a year.
  23. March 27: Can tech speed up emergency room care? A New York hospital system tests a new way to use telemedicine, where E.R. doctors examine patients without being in the same room.
  24. April 2: Plastic-eating fungus may solve garbage problem.
  25. April 6: To handle electronic waste, freeze it and pulverize it – scientists say a new technique can make it more profitable to harvest metals and other materials from circuit boards in old TVs, computers and more.
  26. April 26: Artificial ‘brain in a dish’ is created in a world first: Breakthrough could shed light on conditions such as Alzheimer’s.
  27. May 2: CRISPR eliminates HIV in live animals.
  28. May 4: Scientists engineer baker’s yeast to produce penicillin molecules.
  29. May 5: Iceland drills 4.7 km down into volcano to tap clean energy.
  30. May 11: Scientists have created an exoskeleton to stop elderly people from falling.
  31. May 11: HIV life expectancy ‘near normal’ thanks to new drugs.
  32. May 17: Lab-grown blood stem cells produced at last – two research teams cook up recipe to make long-sought cells in mice and people.
  33. May 18: Antibodies from a human survivor define sites of vulnerability for broad protection against ebola viruses.
  34. May 18: Scientists look to skies to improve tsunami detection.
  35. May 22: World’s largest aircraft completes successful test flight.
  36. May 23: MIT researchers develop a moisture-responsive workout suit with live cells.
  37. June 1: ‘Instantly rechargeable’ battery could change the future of electric and hybrid automobiles.
  38. June 1: Extinct species of Galapagos giant tortoise may be resurrected.
  39. June 3: SpaceX successfully launches reused Dragon spacecraft for ISS resupply.
  40. June 3: ‘Liquid Biopsy’ passes early test in quest to find cancer in blood .
  41. June 13: Live antibiotics use bacteria to kill bacteria.
  42. July 3: This Silicon Valley company wants to ‘make better humans’ through biohacking.
  43. July 6: DNA from sharks that can live up to 400 years could hold the secret to a longer life.
  44. July 6: Robot wars – knee surgery marks new battleground for companies.
  45. July 9: Banks deploy AI to cut off terrorists’ funding.
  46. July 11: Scientists design a solar cell that captures nearly all energy of solar spectrum.
  47. July 17: Bananas – scientists create vitamin A-rich fruit that could save hundreds of thousands of children’s lives.
  48. July 22: This new material could let phones and electric cars charge in seconds.
  49. July 26: New artificial spider silk: stronger than steel and 98 percent water.
  50. July 28: Melanoma: – new, more effective drug steps closer.
  51. July 28: Could stem cells reverse the aging process)?
  52. July 28: Juvenescence AI to develop first compounds generated by Insilico’s deep-learned drug discovery engines.
  53. August 4: IBM storage breakthrough paves way for 330TB tape cartridges.
  54. August 28: Anti-inflammatory drug ‘cuts heart attack risk’.
  55. August 30: Trial raises Parkinson’s therapy hope.
  56. August 30: FDA clears first gene-altering therapy — ‘a living drug’ — for childhood leukemia.
  57. September 7: Shropshire farm completes harvest with nothing but robots; a world-first in automation.
  58. September 12: U.S. middle-class incomes reached highest-ever level in 2016, Census Bureau says.
  59. September 23: Newly engineered antibody could kill off 99 per cent of HIV strains.
  60. September 28: DNA surgery on embryos removes disease.
  61. October 9: Google is going to use experimental high-altitude balloons to provide internet in Puerto Rico.
  62. October 18: Dyslexia link to eye spots confusing brain, say scientists.
  63. October 29: Saudi Arabia to allow women into sports stadiums.
  64. November 13: Brain implant boosts human memory by mimicking how we learn.
  65. November 14: ‘Better than Concorde’ supersonic 1,687mph airliner to ‘revolutionize’ air travel by 2025 (link).
  66. November 15: The firm that can 3D print human body parts.
  67. November 15: US scientists try 1st gene editing in the body.
  68. November 15: US biotech unicorn steps up competition for BioNTech’s mRNA personalized cancer vaccine.
  69. November 24: Cancer breakthrough: Potential cure could be ready as early as next year.
  70. November 26: Diabetes drug ‘could be used to end agony of transplant rejection’.
  71. November 29: Expanding DNA’s alphabet lets cells produce novel proteins.
  72. November 30: Designer proteins—the new generation of HIV vaccines being put to the test
  73. November 30: Trees are covering more of the land in rich countries – the spread of forests is not always popular. But it is sure to continue.
  74. December 1: HIV breakthrough as cancer drug could hold secret to curing the virus.
  75. December 1: In Rwanda, drones deliver medical supplies to remote areas – such services help people in isolated regions – and could yield lessons for making shipments elsewhere.
  76. December 4: China rules aquaculture as fish output triples in decade.
  77. December 7: Bumper crops boost global cereal supplies in 2017/18.
  78. December 10: Democracy is far from dead – in 12 years, the share of the world’s people who live in ‘free’ countries has risen.
  79. December 11: Huntington’s breakthrough may stop disease.
  80. December 11: Tasmanian tigers aren’t extinct (or at least they won’t be for long!) – Scientists unlock mysterious creature’s DNA – and plan to clone it bring the beast back to Australia.
  81. December 13: Streetlights could be replaced by glowing trees, after scientists make plants shine in the dark.
  82. December 14: Haemophilia A trial results ‘mind-blowing’.
  83. December 18: New York Times posts list of heroic and courageous people (this one is supplied for extra reading)
And that's just a TINY selection of the marvelous things that people are doing to improve humanity. So, yeah, spam and sales and faceless internet can be depressing and sometimes make it feel like there is no humanity in the world, but if you pull your head out your a** and look outside, you'll see that the human race is marvellous and there are far more fascinating and exciting things we are doing for GOOD than for bad. ;)
Yeah post a long list of stuff humankind has done which has nothing to do with the topic at hand, which was the decay of the Internet and inter-human relations itself.
You mostly post a list of for-profit scientific advancements and breakthroughs, has nothing to do with the decline of inter-human relations itself and instigated conflicts of which you are a prime example.

Smiechu

@Misty...
We live in the best times humanity ever had...
It's not perfect, but you realy wouldn't like to live any other time than now...
If you live in USA, it's most probable that you have no bloody idea what was really happening i.e. in Europe not so long ago... only 73 years back. Just take a look in history books... read about the horrors of WWII and shut up.

Oh... and if you have problems whit ads in internet, just install AdBlocker or similar.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Better to be a preacher than an oversensitive Mr. Literal who bad mouths good people and tries to make themselves look good. It's the same technique used by fake-news and so-called progressives, they get in this little sensitive bubble and then twist what you say around and act hyper-sensitive about it. It feels like a repeat of going to some bible belt school where everything was against the rules.
Wait, so because I don't agree with your opinion and have the temerity to say it clearly and without hiding behind euphemisms I'm fake news and you can attack me? And you call ME over-sensitive?

You are very gullible if you actually believe homeless will die without the spare change they get. Many of them are hustlers and just pretending to be homeless. Some of them are homeless but just waste their money on booze and drugs..
I'm sorry if using the phrase "needs something to live" confused you into thinking I meant literally to live (although in some cases it is no doubt true). In this context I just wanted to get across the concept of "living at a basic human standard like a normal human being, ie: have food, water, and shelter". And yes, some are indeed people with terrible problems who will "waste" the money (based on your subjective judgement), but that doesn't mean they are any less worthy of your respect or - dare I say it - your help. ;)

And keep going with your fake-news stretch of hitting me with vicious character attacks because you happen to be in a position of authority which makes you immune to character attacks of your own, while I pretend to be civil and "haha" while you continue to throw balloons at the clown. So no more "hahaha" and you have really hit a nerve, if you think you can continue to use me as your personal punching bag, just because you run the GMC, then you have another thing coming.
Ummm.... okay. If you think I have some vested emotional interest in this or you then I'm sorry... I am not "attacking" your character, I am simply pointing out that your topics on the GMC are generally very narrow minded in scope and that you come across as "preachy" - with no concern for actual discussion or willingness to change your ideas - and this is based on the contents and substance of your posts. If I may take a moment to quote something you posted in the first post:

But what I do is genuine. Personal. Not sterilized and removed of soul, not watered down and made to an ad. I speak from the heart and tell it like it is. Talking to me is like talking to a sage around a hearty campfire. Not plastic. Not zombified and sterilized like a dystopian society of Black Mirror. I tell it like it is.
Don't tell me it's only you that can be like this? Don't you want people to reply with the same personality and passion? Speaking from the heart? Not watered down? Isn't this the very kind of interaction that you say you crave? Or is it that secretly you LIKE the faceless and impersonal internet because it gives you an outlet where you can speak unfettered or questioned in an echo chamber where everyone says "wow Misty, you are so right" instead of questioning what you say or your motives? I'm not saying this in any way as an "attack", btw... I'm just incredibly curious as to how you can justify complaining about the lack of personality on the internet and then when someone responds to you with personality you still complain and even accuse them of using their position against you or having some vendetta or something... I am writing as ME, not as a forum admin, but if you'd prefer me to be a faceless and impersonal part of your internet experience than please just say so and you will never hear from me again except in an official capacity and even then only with standard macros rather than any personal comment.

Yeah post a long list of stuff humankind has done which has nothing to do with the topic at hand, which was the decay of the Internet and inter-human relations itself.
You mostly post a list of for-profit scientific advancements and breakthroughs, has nothing to do with the decline of inter-human relations itself and instigated conflicts of which you are a prime example
Okay, true, I was expanding the topic... but that's because I felt that the very narrow viewpoint expressed was missing the bigger picture and wanted to share with you some of the marvellous things that have been happening that don't actually get into the mainstream news. I wanted to share with you a part of what makes me personally love humanity and have a very positive outlook for our future as a race. I wanted you to lift your head from whatever dark place you are in on the web, and see that there are other horizons out there other than the ones you have confined this topic to.

That said, I do understand your issues, but I just can't agree that things are so hopeless! Spam? That's what content filters are for and don't sign up for anything or accept the checkbox for anything that you aren't really interested in. Twitch? If you didn't even know you had an account then why does it matter? And if you do use Twitch regularly you'll see that you only get a few notifications as publicity and generally the rest are all related to content you follow. Ads on web pages? USE AN AD BLOCKER. Or pay the subscription that a lot of pages have to remove them... Seriously, if this is what is making you despair for humanity then you should maybe just stop using internet! Or go join places where people are more genuine (like the GMC! oh, wait... :( ). Or become a web developer and fight to change things. Or become a politician and fight to change things. Or anything except dwell on probably the least significant part of internet culture...

:D

Last edited:
A

Alessio

act hyper-sensitive about it.
While i truly dislike how overly sensitive certainely circles of our current societies have become (seriously, women getting offended for a non-vulgar compliment or breast feeding deemed as a retrograde concept is something, thankfully, just unthinkable in my country), i fail to get your overall point, @Misty. Your posts are too long and it's hard to get the heart of the matter. Also the fact that you write "everyone is wrong, i'm the only one right" doesn't help much. All i can write is "what is this thread i don't even". (the only thing i get is that life is too virtual nowadays, but it's up to the individual to decide that)

Wish some people replying were nicer, though. Posts like "lel shut up WWII if ur murican so u ca'nt nderstand" aren't real deep.

M

Misty

While i truly dislike how overly sensitive certainely circles of our current societies have become (seriously, women getting offended for a non-vulgar compliment or breast feeding deemed as a retrograde concept is something, thankfully, just unthinkable in my country), i fail to get your overall point, @Misty. Your posts are too long and it's hard to get the heart of the matter. Also the fact that you write "everyone is wrong, i'm the only one right" doesn't help much. All i can write is "what is this thread i don't even".

Wish some people replying were nicer, though. Posts like "lel shut up WWII if ur murican so u ca'nt nderstand" aren't real deep.
True.

However, many of my posts are shorter than most blogs.

M

Misty

Wait, so because I don't agree with your opinion and have the temerity to say it clearly and without hiding behind euphemisms I'm fake news and you can attack me? And you call ME over-sensitive?
Because you make accusations that "maybe its me who lacks humanity not others". Accusations based on hysterical convolutions and twisted interpretations of the original material.
For example, you go Mr. Literal on the word "believe" posting the dictionary definition instead of just going with the flow of what it meant in the conversation.
Then you go Mr. Literal again on the homeless thing, which is why I bring up fake-news. I make a loose general comparison to people asking for code help to beggars on the street. And then you go full fake-news on me saying what I say is just in such bad taste, and how it makes me a bad person, and this is what I mean by over-sensitive and hysterical fake news.

I'm sorry if using the phrase "needs something to live" confused you into thinking I meant literally to live. Normally when used in this context it is understood that it means "to live at a basic human standard like a normal human being, ie: have food, water, and shelter". And yes, some are indeed people with terrible problems who will "waste" the money (based on your subjective judgement), but that doesn't mean they are any less worthy of your respect or - dare I say it - your help. ;)
I've had to endure substandard living conditions for much of my life, and yet I'm supposed to give spare change to homeless who will spend it on booze and drugs when I didn't even have enough money to spend it for drugs on myself. And some of these "homeless" are not even homeless and have better homes than I do!
Second, since when is everyone inherently worthy of respect? There are some homeless who I respect and others who are just not worthy of my respect. For instance, a man who got unfairly divorced by his wife, has to pay alimony, became homeless. I respect that man. But the local crackhead who spends the money you give him on crack...I am supposed to respect this person why exactly? Do you know some homeless go around shooting and stabbing other homeless people, in order to eliminate the competition, and will even physically attack you at times?

Ummm.... okay. If you think I have some vested emotional interest in this or you then I'm sorry... I am not "attacking" your character, I am simply pointing out that your topics on the GMC are generally very narrow minded in scope and that you come across as "preachy" - with no concern for actual discussion or willingness to change your ideas - and this is based on the contents and substance of your posts. If I may take a moment to quote something you posted in the first post:
If someone posts a valid discussion I will address it, the majority of people just skip around and read bits and pieces here and there.

Don't tell me it's only you that can be like this? Don't you want people to reply with the same personality and passion? Speaking from the heart? Not watered down? Isn't this the very kind of interaction that you say you crave?
Speak the heart means, do it with love.
Or is it that secretly you LIKE the faceless and impersonal internet because it gives you an outlet where you can speak unfettered or questioned in an echo chamber where everyone says "wow Misty, you are so right" instead of questioning what you say or your motives?
If I had it my way I'd be on the stage and loudspeaker preaching the misty gospel to millions, however it is just not so easy to get a crowd.

I'm not saying this in any way as an "attack", btw... I'm just incredibly curious as to how you can justify complaining about the lack of personality on the internet and then when someone responds to you with personality you still complain and even accuse them of using their position against you or having some vendetta or something... I am writing as ME, not as a forum admin, but if you'd prefer me to be a faceless and impersonal part of your internet experience than please just say so and you will never hear from me again except in an official capacity and even then only with standard macros rather than any personal comment.
When I say personality I refer to speaking from love, not the usual negative and off-the-wall naysaying that has come to be expected from standard internet interactions.

Okay, true, I was expanding the topic... but that's because I felt that the very narrow viewpoint expressed was missing the bigger picture and wanted to share with you some of the marvellous things that have been happening that don't actually get into the mainstream news. I wanted to share with you a part of what makes me personally love humanity and have a very positive outlook for our future as a race. I wanted you to lift your head from whatever dark place you are in on the web, and see that there are other horizons out there other than the ones you have confined this topic to.
Well then lets talk about how similar medical advancements and cures have been made, but have been suppressed by special interest groups in order to continue to get funding. Maybe humanity looks not so bright then. Maybe some of these cures have already been made, but were suppressed. And maybe many more could have lived.

That said, I do understand your issues, but I just can't agree that things are so hopeless! Spam? That's what content filters are for and don't sign up for anything or accept the checkbox for anything that you aren't really interested in. Twitch? If you didn't even know you had an account then why does it matter? And if you do use Twitch regularly you'll see that you only get a few notifications as publicity and generally the rest are all related to content you follow. Ads on web pages? USE AN AD BLOCKER. Or pay the subscription that a lot of pages have to remove them... Seriously, if this is what is making you despair for humanity then you should maybe just stop using internet! Or go join places where people are more genuine (like the GMC! oh, wait... :( ). Or become a web developer and fight to change things. Or become a politician and fight to change things. Or anything except dwell on probably the least significant part of internet culture...

:D
Can't become a politician if you don't have millions of campaign donations.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Speak the heart means, do it with love.
And I do. Always. Which is why when I speak about things I speak passionately. I PASSIONATELY disagree with your post. I LOVE HUMANITY. Still seems like you are trying to get a monopoly on being passionate here...

And then you go full fake-news on me saying what I say is just in such bad taste, and how it makes me a bad person, and this is what I mean by over-sensitive and hysterical fake news.
I have NEVER ONCE said you are a bad person. Not ever. And I don't think saying that comparing a first world internet problem with the potentially life threatening (and certainly life changing) state of being homeless is a tasteless comparison is exactly character assassination... I disagree with your choice of analogy and if you want to take it as me saying you are a bad person then that's fine, but I think that you may be projecting here.

Second, since when is everyone inherently worthy of respect?
Oh dear... Okay, my world view on this (very briefly) is that everyone starts with my respect, and can then only lose it. I meet you and I will respect you until you do something that (based on my own moral compass) I think is wrong and so I lose respect for you. You don't think that everyone is worthy of respect? Fair enough, but I can't agree and will say so, regardless of whether you like it or not.

Well then lets talk about how similar medical advancements and cures have been made, but have been suppressed by special interest groups in order to continue to get funding.
Some do, some don't. I will continue to support those that don't and shun those that do.

All this banter is very interesting but you didn't actually address my point which is that what you have posted is a very narrow world view and that the examples you give can all be easily resolved or avoided altogether.On the other hand, there is a massive amount of humanity all around you that you could rejoice in and participate in yet you choose to focus on the most minor and negative aspects. Even your replies to my posts have focused on the most negative aspects and ignored completly my positive message... I have been constantly trying to get you to lighten up and see the positive things in internet culture, but it seems that this does not interest you.

Last edited:
M

Misty

And I do. Always. Which is why when I speak about things I speak passionately. I PASSIONATELY disagree with your post. I LOVE HUMANITY. Still seems like you are trying to get a monopoly on being passionate here...
Define humanity. What do you think about when you see documentaries of how mankind and their factories stomp the native habitat to extinction? Factory farms, slaughterhouses, fossil fuels, destroying the trees, these are the fuels that keeps humanity alive. And it is also humanity who obeys and votes in corrupt politicians into office, and rarely does ever rebel against fascism.

I have NEVER ONCE said you are a bad person. Not ever. And I don't think saying that comparing a first world internet problem with the potentially life threatening (and certainly life changing) state of being homeless is a tasteless comparison is exactly character assassination... I disagree with your choice of analogy and if you want to take it as me saying you are a bad person then that's fine, but I think that you may be projecting here.
Your exact words were "They're not going to die if they don't get it. This shows that it's maybe you that lacks humanity and not others." So you are literally talking about death here, and then saying I lack humanity. It's such a drastic attempt at pulling at straws that it's absurd. And if I want to delve into the absurd, I can argue that starving artists are on the "verge of death" too, and they need coding help to pay the bills.

Here's another way to make another metaphor that it will make more sense. When I go to the zoos, and I see animals in captivity, I don't say "Oh the humanity" when a zoo keeper throws them a bite of steak. I view it as a bare minimum effort to keep lifeforms just barely living, in a perpetual state of decay and captivity.

Oh dear... Okay, my world view on this (very briefly) is that everyone starts with my respect, and can then only lose it. I meet you and I will respect you until you do something that (based on my own moral compass) I think is wrong and so I lose respect for you. You don't think that everyone is worthy of respect? Fair enough, but I can't agree and will say so, regardless of whether you like it or not.
I tend to inherently respect animals, but when I see humans I just see a potential lifeform that will bring ruination, give no love, obey brainwashed viewpoints, bully and naysay me, enforce rules on me that I never wanted to agree to, and vote for corrupt politicians.

Some do, some don't. I will continue to support those that don't and shun those that do.

All this banter is very interesting but you didn't actually address my point which is that what you have posted is a very narrow world view and that the examples you give can all be easily resolved or avoided altogether.On the other hand, there is a massive amount of humanity all around you that you could rejoice in and participate in yet you choose to focus on the most minor and negative aspects. Even your replies to my posts have focused on the most negative aspects and ignored completly my positive message... I have been constantly trying to get you to lighten up and see the positive things in internet culture, but it seems that this does not interest you.
Rejoice in what? I have a couple of close friends that all. The large majority are indifferent to me and don't care if I live or die, if I am happy or if I am sad. And yet I am supposed to rejoice to the biased globalist media and the fake-news (both liberals and republicans are fake political parties).
The one thing that is noble, which is doctors and medicine, I cannot even say is noble because all they do is charge half a million dollars for cancer treatment and leave people broke. The rest are just religious or macho nutjobs that have no real problem with war, or peace-and-unity-nutjobs who want to hand everyone in obedience to the all powerful state.

And the internet. Let's talk about the internet. Let's talk about making friends with people most of us will probably never have the money lor courage to afford to see in real life, and how great it is to celebrate living in a virtual world where nothing is real and the police-state cracks down on street racers who just want to have a good time. And how everyone is staring at their ipods all day as part of some dopamine addiction, the ipods are more important to them than their friends and family (and its not even a positive dopamine high like THC, it is a negative stressful dopamine) and how the internet is used as a tool to invade your privacy and monitor your every move, in order to sell you crap you don't need in order to pollute the planet even further. Lets talk about that and how great it is, and how truth-sayers get naysayed by negative people who just go around bashing people who try to make a better world. And how devs want everything to be online instead of split-screen, in order to dehumanize us and turn us into segmented solipistic blade runner machine culture, watching let's plays of simulated street racing instead of going out and doing anything actually racing on the streets ourselves.

You know what? You know how those games like Forza put in stickers saying "Racing is dangerous. Do not do this at home." You know what, if I make a street racing game, what I will put in my street racing game? I will put "Racing is dangerous. Do it at home. Freaking have a good time. Dont just play games all day. Play it half of the day, then the other half of the day, race for real. But remember, YOLO."

Last edited:

flerpyderp

Total oversimplification from a total naysayer who has nothing to contribute to advancing the conversation.
oversimplifaction
It really wasn't. You made a verbose post about how a saleswoman wanted to profit from you, and how she didn't care about you, and how the best medium for profiting from advertisements is rife with advertisements. This is not a profound revelation that elevates you above all the soulless zombies you think you're surrounded by.

What is it that I'm allegedly saying nay to? That talking to you is "like talking to a sage", yes you can consider me a naysayer on that one.

Here's what you do. You get in a bad mood. You log on into the internet, find someone who is trying to make the world a better place, and then bad-mouth them and accuse them of talking drivel.
It seems that one of us making observations based on evidence presented in the other's post, and the other is just smugly asserting presumptious nonsense.

And here you are whining and bad mouthing us like complete lack of gratitude. Then you get a couple lackeys and pat yourselves on the back, like you want a congratulations for bullying someone who wants a better world.
Nobody is whining except for you. Nobody is bullying you. Almost everyone replying to your posts has been excercising a bizarrely high level of patience with you. If anyone is displaying a lack of gratitude, it is you.

M

Misty

It really wasn't. You made a verbose post about how a saleswoman wanted to profit from you, and how she didn't care about you, and how the best medium for profiting from advertisements is rife with advertisements. This is not a profound revelation that elevates you above all the soulless zombies you think you're surrounded by.

What is it that I'm allegedly saying nay to? That talking to you is "like talking to a sage", yes you can consider me a naysayer on that one.

It seems that one of us making observations based on evidence presented in the other's post, and the other is just smugly asserting presumptious nonsense.

Nobody is whining except for you. Nobody is bullying you. Almost everyone replying to your posts has been excercising a bizarrely high level of patience with you. If anyone is displaying a lack of gratitude, it is you.
You just don't get it. You continue to oversimplify, and then post a typo as if it matters?
My thread wasn't just about sales, it was about other stuff. But you don't get it. Too wrapped up in the Matrix. Still within the Matrix.

And let's ascertain whether or not you are qualified to debate this subject at hand. Have you even watched the show Black Mirror? Even heard of it? Do you research dystopias and how they form? What do books like 1984 and Fareighenheit 451 mean to you. What do movies like 2001 space odyssey and ClockWork Orange mean to you. How familiar are you with those and movies and literature similar to it. Or are you more of a jolly guy who the latest phone craze is the next greatest thing.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I'm not going to quote anything here, but will simply say that it's obvious to me that you are only looking at the negative sides of things... While all that you say is true and I am painfully aware of the inhumanity that occurs all around me, instead of shaking my head and bitching about it here, I get out and fight for what I believe in... specifically that humanity is basically good. Now, while you actually seem to be similar to me in that you passionately believe you are right, I would say that I know am right! How can I be so "arrogant"? The facts back me up:

These charts show the world is better than ever - even if things seem apocalyptic - https://www.businessinsider.com/charts-global-progress-humanity-getting-better-2017-9?IR=T
Why The World Is Getting Better And Why Hardly Anyone Knows It - https://www.forbes.com/sites/steved...tter-why-hardly-anyone-knows-it/#2f31d2d47826
The World Is Better Than Ever. Why Are We Miserable? - http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...re-better-than-ever-why-are-we-miserable.html
Why the World Is Better Than Ever... and Will Get Better Still - https://singularityhub.com/2016/11/...etter-still/#sm.0012qguhf12dpdv8qyv1lsxpj2ayx
The world is now safer and better than ever and here's the evidence - https://sploid.gizmodo.com/the-world-is-now-safer-and-better-than-ever-and-heres-t-1651264457
The World Is Better Than Ever And Continues To Improve. Why Do People Consistently Believe Otherwise? - https://www.science20.com/news_staf..._people_consistently_believe_otherwise-233140

And I could go on and on and on with specific studies about crime, politics, hunger... but I'll just leave with this video, which is a fantastic illustration of just how one aspect of our world has improved thanks to an increased humanity:

M

Misty

He who choses safety instead of security deserves neither. Sure the world is more safe in some aspects, like having to put on your seatbelt at all times, so cops can make draconian laws that allow them to snoop into your car at all times and bust you for doing some harmless THC. So the world may be statistically safer, but it does not feel safer, kids are now more afraid than ever, afraid to even chew a poptart in the shape of a gun. The nuns omnipotent eye watches over us all, demanding comformity, demanding obedience. Non-comformers are punished and sent to the gulag. The world of Blade Runner probably had low-fatalities, statistically speaking. But that doesn't necessarily indicate a healthy quality of living. Neither does a Matrix of society, bodies stuck in floating goo vats in indefinitely suspended animation until they eventually expire, like rotting cabbages.
The World Is Better Than Ever. Why Are We Miserable?
Again, another article that seems to miss the point, still trapped within the box of the Matrix.
What his comments about jews and circumcision had anything to do with it, I have no idea. I suppose that circumcision is loosely related because it is a barbaric process that is against progress. However, his bit on circumcision is wholly tangental and seems to countereffect the claims he made earlier about how not enough ascetism is a problem. In essence, the bloke doesn't know what he is going on about.

It is not that materialism is inherently wrong, but that it is no substitute for love. America seems to believe that just piling piles and piles of endless material to people, will try to distract them from what a loveless and utterly dysfunctional society it is. But it does not work because, giving copious amounts of chocolate cake to the broken hearted does not suddenly make them happy, it just makes them obese.

Last edited:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
He who choses safety instead of security deserves neither.
Oh dear... https://www.npr.org/2015/03/02/3902...t-its-context-in-21st-century?t=1534794390061 Please don't misquote with the intention of moving the goalposts (and if you do, try to at least make sure that the quote is appropriate and correct)...

So the world may be statistically safer, but it does not feel safer,
The articles I posted deal with that and explain why it is. With this knowledge you could fight it instead of walling in your self-created despair.

The nuns omnipotent eye watches over us all, demanding comformity, demanding obedience. Non-comformers are punished and sent to the gulag. The world of Blade Runner probably had low-fatalities, statistically speaking. But that doesn't necessarily indicate a healthy quality of living.
Oh please Misty. We were doing so well and now you have to go all rhetorical without actually countering any of the things I say. Sure you can find specific examples of these things (even though you don't even do that), but one example does not make a trend... and trends show that for decades now things are improving. Are there setbacks? Are there counterpoints to all the good things that happen? Yes, absolutely, but in general the trend is that things are constantly improving.

I would also say that such negativity can do nothing but make the situation worse and harm the advances we (the human race) have made. This kind of attitude generally leads to apathy, and apathy is probably the greatest threat to humanity there is! However, I suspect from your comments that you are simply acting as a nihilist who enjoys being the doomsayer preacher (you may even believe it, who knows?), and as such I think I can say no more. You don't want to be convinced, so I'll bow out of this topic and leave you alone in your pulpit...

Last edited:
M

Misty

Oh dear... https://www.npr.org/2015/03/02/3902...t-its-context-in-21st-century?t=1534794390061 Please don't misquote with the intention of moving the goalposts...
The quote has grander scope and application today than before. Please don't try to miminize it by limiting it to its original mundane meaning, the quote has since evolved.

The articles I posted deal with that and explain why it is. With this knowledge you could fight it instead of walling in your self-created despair.
I explained how one of the articles was already boxed within the walls of the Matrix, written by persons stuck in in-the-box, in-the-matrix thinking. (In addition to all over the place and just contradictory.)

Oh please Misty. We were doing so well and now you have to go all rhetorical without actually countering any of the things I say. Sure you can find specific examples of these things (even though you don't even do that), but one example does not make a trend... and trends show that for decades now things are improving. Are there setbacks? Are there counterpoints to all the good things that happen? Yes, absolutely, but in general the trend is that things are constantly improving.
Why would I counter obvious facts? If the human mortality rate is stastically decreasing, I am not going to argue that its fake news. What I am going to argue that mere mortality rate is not a reliable indicator of actual quality of life.
If science gets so good that it puts comatose vegetables on indefinite life support, it will up that stat as well too. If it finds a way to make morbidly obese live to 150, same deal here.

I would also say that such negativity can do nothing but make the situation worse and harm the advances we (the human race) have made. This kind of attitude generally leads to apathy, and apathy is probably the greatest threat to humanity there is! However, I suspect from your comments that you are simply acting as a nihilist who enjoys being the doomsayer preacher (you may even believe it, who knows?), and as such I think I can say no more. You don't want to be convinced, so I'll bow out of this topic and leave you alone in your pulpit...
I would say its nihilistic to put so much faith in the goodness of humanity and not want to put more extreme emphasis on careful and cautious examination of the actual road we are on as a species.

Once again our sage Misty speaks the truth, and once again, the unwashed masses can't handle it and lash out at him.

It breaks my heart. It really does.

I'm glad he's strong enough to keep fighting the good fight.

#FakeNews #TrilateralComission #Majestic 12

Wtf does 2001: A Space Odyssey have to do with sci-fi dystopias? X'D

Last edited:
M

Misty

Once again our sage Misty speaks the truth, and once again, the unwashed masses can't handle it and lash out at him.

It breaks my heart. It really does.

I'm glad he's strong enough to keep fighting the good fight.

#FakeNews #TrilateralComission #Majestic 12

Wtf does 2001: A Space Odyssey have to do with sci-fi dystopias? X'D
While not as obvious as Clockwork Orange, it does paint a picture of meaningless space, a man's life devoid of frontiers or meaning. Simply floating through empty space, reaching the edge of the universe, only to find himself as a baby, travelling backward through time in order to replay the game of life once again, implying that his last spiritual road was a dead end, and could not be further traveled.
It also refers to a controlling robot with no empathy, who is put in charge of mankind's fate. The humans in 2001 are almost as hollow and devoid of emotion as is Hal. When Hal dies he exhibits more emotion than many of the humans.

flerpyderp

You just don't get it. You continue to oversimplify, and then post a typo as if it matters?
My thread wasn't just about sales, it was about other stuff. But you don't get it. Too wrapped up in the Matrix. Still within the Matrix.

And let's ascertain whether or not you are qualified to debate this subject at hand. Have you even watched the show Black Mirror? Even heard of it? Do you research dystopias and how they form? What do books like 1984 and Fareighenheit 451 mean to you. What do movies like 2001 space odyssey and ClockWork Orange mean to you. How familiar are you with those and movies and literature similar to it. Or are you more of a jolly guy who the latest phone craze is the next greatest thing.
The cringe is strong with this one.

Even in my 16 year old edgelord days, where I took a class in moral philosophy (which by the way, covered the topic of dystopias quite extensively and taught us things far grander in scope than anything you've posted in this thread, despite being a class for teenage philosophy noobs), spent my free time reading further on the topics and spent yet more time droning on about them to the uninterested, I couldn't come close to this magnitude of self delusion, where you seriously suggest having watched Black Mirror as a requirement for being qualified to debate such topics.

You keep harping on about how you're just trying to "help the world" and how it's people like you that are making a difference. There are a lot of presumptions flying around in this thread, so I'd like to stop myself before I dismiss you entirely and allow you to give us the details on your alleged heroic deeds.

For the record, I've followed Black Mirror since the very first episode aired, my phone is the cheapest, yet reliable, Android I could find and is undeniably outdated and I don't pay much, if any, attention to what's trending in any subject, even ones I'm interested in. This is irrelevant information, but here you go since you requested it.

M

Misty

The cringe is strong with this one.

Even in my 16 year old edgelord days, where I took a class in moral philosophy (which by the way, covered the topic of dystopias quite extensively and taught us things far grander in scope than anything you've posted in this thread, despite being a class for teenage philosophy noobs), spent my free time reading further on the topics and spent yet more time droning on about them to the uninterested, I couldn't come close to this magnitude of self delusion, where you seriously suggest having watched Black Mirror as a requirement for being qualified to debate such topics.

You keep harping on about how you're just trying to "help the world" and how it's people like you that are making a difference. There are a lot of presumptions flying around in this thread, so I'd like to stop myself before I dismiss you entirely and allow you to give us the details on your alleged heroic deeds.

For the record, I've followed Black Mirror since the very first episode aired, my phone is the cheapest, yet reliable, Android I could find and is undeniably outdated and I don't pay much, if any, attention to what's trending in any subject, even ones I'm interested in. This is irrelevant information, but here you go since you requested it.
Well then perhaps you are an expert in the matter. But it is also known that experts make mistakes, and have flaws.

And let's, for the sake of argument, claim you are the expert and sage you claim to be. You put the bare minimum effort in your responses and post cheesy one-liners and don't offer anything to discuss.

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
Ok, I've read this through four or five times, and it took me that long to develop a ligitamate opinion. Lol. But here goes.

Misty, in the first post you posted a series of facts. ads are everywhere, salespeople don't give a flip about you,
Stuff is modernized and a bit faceless. Etc. I'm not going to argue about that, and I think you're right about these things.

People here like a good discussion though, and people know these things already, and, assuming that this is a discussion, will look for something to discuss. And the only debatable you said was "epiphany" and "like a sage." Wanting something to discuss, they chose that.

Now, an insult, whether it's true or not, is not an actual argument, and it's a shame that it's the first thing anyone said, or that it was said at all. But you have insulted the others as well. note that one can argue without insults.

So, the others decided that you are a bit over negative, and decided, after the insults fiasco (lol), that it was a better topic for discussion. Again, they didn't say you are wrong, but that 1: there are good things and humanity in the world, and 2: they are worth dwelling on.

So what do you think about that? You obviously believe there is good, otherwise you wouldn't bother talking about these things, and probably would kill yourself! (Don't.) You must think there are people worth talking to about these subjects. And is the good worth dwelling on? Ask yourself this.

So thats my analysis. But I said I constructed opinions, so here they are.

I think the good is worth dwelling on. I say to people to work for and dwell on the good, but acknowledge that there is evil, and don't steep yourself in it.

Personally, I have people I consider sage like, but not because they can say facts, but because I can have an honest to goodness discussion with them, it's like a breath of fresh air! I believe, though, that sagey-ness is in the eye of the beholder.

Ads suck, yes, but they are a minor disturbance. And sales people shouldn't have to care about your feelings and dreams, the relationship is strictly professional, though tricking you is wrong, yes, and some sales folk are better than others.

There is nothing wrong with doing something good for profit. If they are spending all time on doing something good for you, then their living has to come from somewhere. Again, this can be better or worse for many reasons and factors. But it doesn't make something inherently inhumane.

Being a naysayer is something youre doing too, you know. But I'm not judging you. Also, is denying all humanity kind of a matrix itself?

If you have 2000 scams in your inbox, then there are certain preventative measures you should have taken. While trying to scam someone is wrong, you can avoid being scammed. Note some of these opinions are assuming you are looking for helpful, if temporary, soloutions in the mean time.

What do you think? If you disagree with anything, let me know exactly why. I would like to come to as much of an agreement as possible. Thanks all!

M

Misty

I dont think there is much good now, but there may be in the future, that is why i dont suicide.

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
So, not much, but a little, then? And you believe there will be more in the future? That's hope! Dwell on these things and work for them! That's all the advice I have.

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
Lol. I thought for a sec you were telling me that I used belief wrong, and was like:
( />[]<)/ミ|___| "I don't care!"

Status
Not open for further replies.