Old-school racing (WIP)

Smiechu

Hehe!

Yeah, I know it's nothing special, but I've wanted to prove myself a little bit, learn new things, get out of the box, have fun, take a break from my main project.

I've managed to establish an old-school style racing engine with random - procedural generated tracks :D

Car behavior needs still some tweaking (now it's a spaghetti code), proper arts are needed (I cooperate with one artist, maybe he'll take the challenge :D ), GUI, opponents, some track details, game menu and ready :D

Smiechu

Love it! Some more angles on the vehicle(s) would definitely improve the visuals.
Yeah, this is the best what I was able to find for free, quick on the internet.
Nice exercise/new experience for me would be to have the cars as 3D models.

CMAllen

Yeah, this is the best what I was able to find for free, quick on the internet.
Nice exercise/new experience for me would be to have the cars as 3D models.
You could go a completely different direction with it, too. Space races or more sci-fi vehicles (F-Zero?). You could even be snarky about the space races, adding 'named-like' versions of well-known ships: Fireflea, Millenial Hawk, Star Destructor, etc.

Smiechu

You could go a completely different direction with it, too. Space races or more sci-fi vehicles (F-Zero?). You could even be snarky about the space races, adding 'named-like' versions of well-known ships: Fireflea, Millenial Hawk, Star Destructor, etc.
Yeah, space racing is also a nice alternative, but this is only a side project for me. I'll be pushing the engine eventually on marketplace for free or some small price, meybe someone else could have a good use out of it.

R

Rizlad

looks very nice, in 1992 i would have spent my 5$ allowance on it

N

nicktheslayer95

I definitely want to see a Road Rash clone with something like this! I want guys on motorcycles hitting each other with bats. It looks great!

Orak

That's cool!

Since everybody tell what they want to see out of it, I like when it goes crazy. A good exemple is "Oh Deer!"
I had a good laugh with that game. Would be great to see other styles and more crazyness with simple old school racing gameplay.

T

tdg_

This looks awesome! Reminds me of my time spent playing Road Rash and Cruisin' The World. The different color road sections did strain on my eyes a little bit though.

Smiechu

Looks great! What technique did you use for rendering? Is it fully old-school pseudo 3D?
Yes. It utilizes the basic projection equation xp = x/z. The road's coordinates are generated "on the fly" using delta values stored in a pre-generated ds_list (this allows a seamless loop of the generated track). Road's curvature is an illusion. Rendering is based on drawing primitives.
The basic code to get the rendering done is maybe 10 lines of code.
There is only one object in the project.

S_Kleer

Is there any hope for a tutorial?
I really want to make pseudo 3d race, but I not have good tutorials. Especially for GMS.

Smiechu

Is there any hope for a tutorial?
I really want to make pseudo 3d race, but I not have good tutorials. Especially for GMS.
Like I said, please give me some time. I would like to realese it on markerplace for free or a small price.
But there are some things which need optimization and polishing.

After @Orak recommended "Oh Deer!" I'm curious myself what type of wackey alternatives are possible.

Andrey

I like that too!
Of course, I remember with nostalgia Road Rush.
I understand that this is only the beginning, so my opinion about the graphics, colors-it is superfluous now!
Good luck in the project! I hope it will be brought to the logical end.