• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Can i get a graphics card for my computer?

I

Ivan.

I have a HP Pavilion desktop with intel i7 and i am not sure if i can install a graphics card. There currently isnt one right now.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Is it possible? Technically yes. This doesn't mean that it's possible with every laptop, or with every graphics card.
Is it feasible? Sort of. Good luck finding one that fits, as laptops are generally not spaciously designed and therefore may not be suitable.
Is it worth it? Probably not, as the cramped design of laptops provides one of the worst environments one could imagine for high-end (and therefore highly heat-producing) hardware (at least I assume that's what this is about).

Misread the first reply, thought it was about laptops. It's not. My bad, sorry. :v

Is the GMC the right place to ask this kind of question? No, since we make games, not computers. Well, mostly.

Last edited:
K

Kurtis

Is it possible? Technically yes. This doesn't mean that it's possible with every laptop, or with every graphics card.
Is it feasible? Sort of. Good luck finding one that fits, as laptops are generally not spaciously designed and therefore may not be suitable.
Is it worth it? Probably not, as the cramped design of laptops provides one of the worst environments one could imagine for high-end (and therefore highly heat-producing) hardware (at least I assume that's what this is about).

Is the GMC the right place to ask this kind of question? No, since we make games, not computers. Well, mostly.
Not sure how you interpreted laptop from 'desktop'.

@Ivan. The answer is most likely yes. You'd have to check if there is a PCIE x16 slot. Which I would be extremely surprised if there isn't, seeing as it will have a standard (albeit cheap) main board.

Then it is a matter of just choosing what card you want to install.

Coded Games

You would also need to make sure your power supply is powerful enough to run whatever GPU you want to get and has the right plugs.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Not sure how you interpreted laptop from 'desktop'.

I'm not sure either. o_O Well, call me stupid.

@Ivan.
In that case, yes for possible in general, most likely yes for possible and feasible with your system, not so sure about whether it's worth it as we have virtually no information about your system. PCs are generally limited by the weakest component (benchmarking of specific components and tasks which heavily rely on one component and not so much on others excluded), so I'm rather careful about advising people to upgrade one of their components without knowing what the others are, to avoid situations where a huge performance boost is expected but only a marginal gain is achieved due to the new component being limited by another.

To add a bit... the space concern remains as valid as every other (applicable - so not mine :p) point that has been made. My personal experience with pre-built PCs is that they tend to be as compressed as possible. A situation like this - tried to get a better graphics card but it ended up being just a bit too big - was why I switched over to building my PCs manually in the first place.
Regarding power supplies: Ensure that it is sufficient to power your new graphics card as well as all other components at peak usage. Having a PC that works fine most of the time but randomly shuts down when under heavy load due to a lack of supplied power is just about the worst thing.

D

Deleted member 13992

Got an exact model? HP Pavilions have existed for quite a while (I had one in 2000-2004), and there are many different models.

Having the exact model will help us track down exactly what motherboard is used, power supply, case space, etc. If it's an i7 then there's a good chance it's geared towards performance, and thus upgrades.

I

Ivan.

I figured it out. I was watching videos on how to install one and on the back of my tower there are slots that seem for GPUs

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Definitely not on the back (if we're thinking of the same part as "back"). PCIe slots are located on the motherboard, which, unless your PC uses a non-standard case structure, is located inside the PC.

I highly recommend having someone help you with implementing any such hardware unless you are experienced with it, as handling them wrongly or carelessly can easily result in damage to the component, the rest of the PC and/or people.

I

Ivan.

Definitely not on the back (if we're thinking of the same part as "back"). PCIe slots are located on the motherboard, which, unless your PC uses a non-standard case structure, is located inside the PC.

I highly recommend having someone help you with implementing any such hardware unless you are experienced with it, as handling them wrongly or carelessly can easily result in damage to the component, the rest of the PC and/or people.
The back I am talking about is where a lot of cables go in, including the power cord.

M

MishMash

One of the guys I used to work with on my student job had the same mid-tier laptop as me (a £400 i5 samsung laptop) and managed to create a little attachment which gave him access to a full PCI-E x16, allowing him to hook up a 970 xD! Though it was a bit dodge.
I've also seen those external GPU boxes you can get, which work over USB, but you tend to get bandwidth issues, as you might expect. Also lots of unreliability, crashes etc;

I

Ivan.

One of the guys I used to work with on my student job had the same mid-tier laptop as me (a £400 i5 samsung laptop) and managed to create a little attachment which gave him access to a full PCI-E x16, allowing him to hook up a 970 xD! Though it was a bit dodge.
I've also seen those external GPU boxes you can get, which work over USB, but you tend to get bandwidth issues, as you might expect. Also lots of unreliability, crashes etc;
I've seen those too but i know someone who does a lot of computer work so im just gonna ask him to take a look at it

T

Thunder Lion

I have a HP Pavilion desktop with intel i7 and i am not sure if i can install a graphics card. There currently isnt one right now.
Yes absolutely, prebuilds are upgradeable. However you will have to upgrade your power supply which is inside the case its what you plug the power cable into. If you are willing you can provide the exact model of it and perhaps a few pictures of the outside and inside of the case. I personally upgraded an Inspiron 3650 to run a gtx 1080 and added a 650watt PSU to power it.

Its a desktop so he could just get a new PSU to power the card.

D

Deleted member 13992

Just make sure you do some research with the exact model of your computer.

Graphics cards, especially beefy ones, tend to be quite large. Occasionally larger than some proprietary cases can handle. Since a few years ago, there are also two different "fittings" of PSUs. They are not interchangeable. Impossible to tell which one you need if you haven't supplied the exact model of your desktop.