• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

When will we see a Linux runtime?

C

Chungsie

I mean you can export to HTML, but you can't develop in Linux. WineHQ reports the latest version of GMS2 runs like garbage, failing for some reason with no known workaround yet.

If I recall you can even develop for Linux distros.

Anyways, whats up

C

Chungsie

oof. ya I really don't like Mac as much that I don't like MS. thanks though.

C

Chungsie

I would have to buy Windows OS. 10 was breaking on my my machine that has an i5, the gaming one. Ubuntu hasn't been breaking. For the most part there is wine and lutris and ways to run exe and windows software. just the gms variants don't have an installer or workaround for the issues. I have been able to get an RPG Maker engine to work. Honestly was just thinking of writing my own graphics library in OpenGL. but I'm still learning algorithms and OOD in ruby.

rIKmAN

I would have to buy Windows OS. 10 was breaking on my my machine that has an i5, the gaming one. Ubuntu hasn't been breaking. For the most part there is wine and lutris and ways to run exe and windows software. just the gms variants don't have an installer or workaround for the issues. I have been able to get an RPG Maker engine to work. Honestly was just thinking of writing my own graphics library in OpenGL. but I'm still learning algorithms and OOD in ruby.
What do you mean by "breaking" - driver issues, software issues, hardware issues?
An i5 is more than enough to run Windows 10 as long as you also have the RAM etc to go with it.

Ricardo

Honestly was just thinking of writing my own graphics library in OpenGL. but I'm still learning algorithms and OOD in ruby.
Maybe is just me, but If you're still learning algorithms and OOD it sounds very weird to say you want to write your own OpenGL library. Anyway, back to the Linux thing: do not raise any kind of expectation on that. YoYo is very unlikely to spend money on that (as TsukaYuriko pointed already). I used a lot (and still use) Linux myself, but I had to fall into Windows to follow my game-dev dream. Game development is hard enough by itself, and do it in Linux adds a lot of complexity and limitations into the equation due to the lack of compatible software.
If you really want to develop games in Linux, I'd suggest a HTML5 library like Phaser or something similar that is based in JavaScript and WebGL.