• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

OFFICIAL GMS2 Version 2.1.5

Smiechu

And by allowing people to set it to single click, it will introduce the bug again. So, no-win situation for YYG.
Most of the professional software in the world gives the user 10,000 tons of options and preferences which can be changed, set and triggered (very often leading to strange behavior), but only the GM users would have problem with that. Yeah, that makes sense. Default - double click, option - single click with description/alert what problems may occur.

Just please... first a great debate how GM should be targeting more pro users, but then to assume that the users are morons which cannot handle a simple setting.

Mick

You're using the VS Studio for GML, nice. However, I was having the same problem and it turned out to be a problem with the VS skin. You're going to have to go back to the original GM skin and check the runtimes from there.
Aaah, ok, thanks! (I love the VS skin, will have to wait for an update for it).

D

Dawn

And by allowing people to set it to single click, it will introduce the bug again. So, no-win situation for YYG.
There is no bug. It was to improve some "workflow" problems which caused actual serious workflow problems instead. Also please stop with nonsense that it's not fixable which is clearly only from your imagination.

hth

I think that if in your thread about issues with a major runtime update, 75% of the talk is about one extra mouse click, it's safe to say the update went relatively smoothly.

T

ThePropagation

As soon as I updated to 2.1.5 the ide wont compile any images into the game. It wont let me save images as sprites, it says an error has occurred. If I try to compile and play an existing game, it replaces all of my sprites with blank 16x16 replacements, making any game unplayable. Help!

P

psyke

How about trying to fix the bug instead of changing something we were used to for more than a year?

• Object Editor: Changed opening events to require double-clicks - fixes issues with single-click to select the event changing focus to the script and causing event copy/paste/delete workflow problems
fix.jpg

Also please stop with nonsense that it's not fixable which is clearly only from your imagination.
Nowhere have I said that it isn't fixable. I have said that they implemented a fix. If you think it is a major issue, then raise a new bug about a double-click being a problem and see where in the releases it ends up (I suspect nowhere). Just stop telling me what to think, or that it is in my imagination.

Propose to YYG that you want the single-click back even if it causes problems for you, you will be happy with doing one less click than having stability for that part of the workflow. See if I care.

Last edited:

rIKmAN

Nowhere have I said that it isn't fixable. I have said that they implemented a fix. If you think it is a major issue, then raise a new bug about a double-click being a problem and see where in the releases it ends up (I suspect nowhere). Just stop telling me what to think, or that it is in my imagination.

Propose to YYG that you want the single-click back even if it causes problems for you, you will be happy with doing one less click than having stability for that part of the workflow. See if I care.
I'm not even sure what the actual issue is that they have fixed by making it double click only, but what's the problem with having it as an option in the preferences?

M

mrclips

I have this error. "Installing" top right corner keep going at least 1 hour. It's endless...

I run game maker studio 2 with Steam. What is the problem? Could you explain please?

Attachments

clee2005

sprite_add() seems to be broken in this new runtime (2.1.5.246) for iOS exports. It works as expected in 2.1.4.288, but now I cannot load a background dynamically using sprite_add. I am trying to with this line (again works in .288) :

bg = sprite_add("WorldBackgrounds/world1_background_small.png",1,false,false,0,0);

Broken in 2.1.5.246. I just tried it by referencing a .png in the root of Included Files and it works. So it seems to be because the .pngs are under "WorldBackgrounds" folder that it doesn't work on 2.1.5.246 in iOS.

I logged a ticket.

sprite_add() seems to be broken in this new runtime (2.1.5.246) for iOS exports. It works as expected in 2.1.4.288, but now I cannot load a background dynamically using sprite_add. I am trying to with this line (again works in .288) :

bg = sprite_add("WorldBackgrounds/world1_background_small.png",1,false,false,0,0);

Broken in 2.1.5.246. I just tried it by referencing a .png in the root of Included Files and it works. So it seems to be because the .pngs are under "WorldBackgrounds" folder that it doesn't work on 2.1.5.246 in iOS.

I logged a ticket.
I just encountered this myself.

I'm using the Mac IDE (on a Mac Mini), building for a Mac application using VM. IDE 2.1.5.322 / runtime 2.1.5.246

If I try to used sprite_add() on a file that was selected by the user using get_open_filename() function, the sprite_add() function returns a value of -1.

If I try to load a sprite that I added to the root of the Included Files, I get a proper sprite index returned from the sprite_add() functions.

The previous runtime I have listed as available in the master feed list is 2.1.4.218, and if I try to roll back to it, the IDE restarts but my runtime remains at 2.1.5.246.

Seems like any file outside of the root folder of the Included Files is not able to be added via sprite_add().

clee2005

I just found out that on iOS you can specify the filename without the folder and it actually does find it. So I modified my code with a check for iOS and then remove the folder prefix and that seems to be a workaround for now.

EDIT : Just got this from support : Thanks for reporting this, however this is not a bug and an intended change to how files are handled on iOS. For an iOS package you now just simply need to pass in the file name as you've already noticed and the package will simply just find the file for you. Whilst this creates some extra code for iOS file handling this is how file handling should have always been on iOS.

Due to this I've added in a bug for the manual to be updated which you can find it our bug database here: https://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=29870

Last edited:
I just found out that on iOS you can specify the filename without the folder and it actually does find it. So I modified my code with a check for iOS and then remove the folder prefix and that seems to be a workaround for now.
That's great you have a workaround.

I did some more testing and I found that I CAN use sprite_add() to load files from Included Files, as well as any sub-folders in included files, so maybe our issues are different.

Still doing some testing, but it now seems that perhaps for me using get_open_filename() is not able to break through the sandbox limitations, even though it is supposed to.

clee2005

That's great you have a workaround.

I did some more testing and I found that I CAN use sprite_add() to load files from Included Files, as well as any sub-folders in included files, so maybe our issues are different.

Still doing some testing, but it now seems that perhaps for me using get_open_filename() is not able to break through the sandbox limitations, even though it is supposed to.
For iOS though? sprite_add() works as expected for folders and subfolders on all other exports just NOT iOS for me.

For iOS though? sprite_add() works as expected for folders and subfolders on all other exports just NOT iOS for me.
I don't have the Mobile Export, and I haven't tested for iOS.

What OS are you using?

I'm using the Mac IDE on a Mac, building for a Mac application. I'm testing from within the IDE. Maybe I need to build the standalone app and test if it works.

clee2005

I don't have the Mobile Export, and I haven't tested for iOS.

What OS are you using?

I'm using the Mac IDE on a Mac, building for a Mac application. I'm testing from within the IDE. Maybe I need to build the standalone app and test if it works.
I'm using the PC IDE, but this issue is in the runtime... and only in the iOS export that I've seen so far anyway... Android and Windows seem ok, and you are saying that MacOS is ok too.

I'm using the PC IDE, but this issue is in the runtime... and only in the iOS export that I've seen so far anyway... Android and Windows seem ok, and you are saying that MacOS is ok too.
Yeah, I was saying that I may have a different issue.

MacOS is ok when trying to load sprites from Included Files folders and sub-folders.

My issue is that when I try to load a file that is outside of the Included Files, using the function get_open_filename() to prompt the user for a location, I am not able to load a image file using sprite_add(). sprite_add() just returns -1 in this case.

So my issue is with get_open_filename() on Mac (haven't tested on Windows yet) - I haven't been able to use this function to access files outside of the sandbox.

C

Cowlord

Can't use source control. Error comes up that says GameMaker has become unstable and tells me to quit.

Edit: fixed

Last edited by a moderator:

jonjons

hello
Ive deleted 2 sprites i was not using, now i get the error: An entry with the same key already exists
the log window doesnt show me any error only: C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe exited with non-zero status (-532462766)
All my sprites are set to the default group
Is there a way to solve this ?

M

MarceloP

hello
Ive deleted 2 sprites i was not using, now i get the error: An entry with the same key already exists
the log window doesnt show me any error only: C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe exited with non-zero status (-532462766)
All my sprites are set to the default group
Is there a way to solve this ?
This IDE update has added some project problems with keys and assets inside the project file. I can't specify which, but I've also faced some that were solved after editing the project file. Try closing GMS2, and opening it again. It should tell you about the duplicated keys, or the missing ones (if it doesn't you'll have an extra step ahead). Make a backup of your project, open your project.yyp and try editing it with any text editor (Sublime or Notepad++ recommended). Try finding an entry that may have the name of your deleted files (or any duplicated keys and, if you don't know the key, try selecting one by one and finding more occurrences on the "document"). If you find this key that shouldn't be there, or is duplicated, delete it/both. Close the editor and reopen your project on GMS2. This should solve your problem...

NOTE: Check carefully for the name of the asset/view that is being deleted, since you'll be deleting something from the project. But you can manually add it later with the "Add existing" option on the project tree. In any case, take notes of what you're deleting there, so you're fine later. Also, ALWAYS keep a backup/versioning of your code/project.

There's also a similar (not the same) problem that was solved by deleting entries on the project.yyp. Try checking it out if you have doubts.

clee2005

Here's another issue : I cannot open options with any other configuration. I have an AMAZON and UNDERGROUND configs that I use with the Android export, and I cannot open either of those configs. Worse than this, I cannot build with these configs. The IDE crashes immediately. I'll log this.

EDIT : I just created a blank test project with 2 configs and it will build the 2nd config, so it's something in my projects that is crashing under the new GMS2 release.

Last edited:

jonjons

This IDE update has added some project problems with keys and assets inside the project file. I can't specify which, but I've also faced some that were solved after editing the project file. Try closing GMS2, and opening it again. It should tell you about the duplicated keys, or the missing ones (if it doesn't you'll have an extra step ahead). Make a backup of your project, open your project.yyp and try editing it with any text editor (Sublime or Notepad++ recommended). Try finding an entry that may have the name of your deleted files (or any duplicated keys and, if you don't know the key, try selecting one by one and finding more occurrences on the "document"). If you find this key that shouldn't be there, or is duplicated, delete it/both. Close the editor and reopen your project on GMS2. This should solve your problem...

NOTE: Check carefully for the name of the asset/view that is being deleted, since you'll be deleting something from the project. But you can manually add it later with the "Add existing" option on the project tree. In any case, take notes of what you're deleting there, so you're fine later. Also, ALWAYS keep a backup/versioning of your code/project.

There's also a similar (not the same) problem that was solved by deleting entries on the project.yyp. Try checking it out if you have doubts.
thanks for the tips
unfortunately ive already deleted the files that were giving me the error "An entry with the same key already exists"...
It were all my sound files.
but another problem ive notice is that gm2 fails to play the sound files that have a lenght of minus 0.09s...
weird because it plays fine the 1st time i import into the project, after i close the sound window the sound just disapears...

We're getting a lot of crashes without error logs in our game with this update. Unfortunately, the game is massive and the crashes are seemingly-random, so it's going to be nearly impossible to figure out why this is happening.

This is happening with VM, but previously, it was only happening with YYC which prevented us from ever using YYC. It seems like the issue(s) have bled into VM now as well.

Last edited:
G

I've also gotten the Android "cannot build with this architecture bug" trying to build with only armv7 on a phone that worked before. The error wanted arm64; I added that to the build, and it will build now, but I'd like to know what's going on.

Edit: just a note that when you try to build without an Android device attached, it now also gives a "your device requires a different architecture" message.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrey

We're getting a lot of crashes without error logs in our game with this update. Unfortunately, the game is massive and the crashes are seemingly-random, so it's going to be nearly impossible to figure out why this is happening.
This is happening with VM, but previously, it was only happening with YYC which prevented us from ever using YYC. It seems like the issue(s) have bled into VM now as well.
Well, if this is true (I haven't installed 2.1.5 due to problems with audio_falloff), it is necessary to look for the causes, otherwise the problem will be dragged for months from upgrade to upgrade. Can you create a separate topic in the forum thread?

D

Dawn

Unsurprisingly the random high CPU usage bug on laptop is still not fixed. Is it ever gonna fixed?

Smiechu

In general YYC is more sensitive to code errors, faults and gives less feedback than VM as it's "purer" als VM, so if you had problems earlier with YYC that means it's plausible there is something wrong in your code in the first place.
Can be that acceptance of the errors by VM was a bug i.e. leading to memory leaks. Now it's repaired and both VM and YYC doesn't accept it. The problem is that there is no error info, in this case you should intensivelu inspect yor code with Debugger.

True Valhalla

Full-Time Developer
GMC Elder
I'm another +1 for a setting to disable double-clicking on events. It's pretty damn tedious and noticeably slows my workflow.

Woah! I'm noticing a major improvement in speed and responsiveness when using the IDE. In fact, it is quite substantial so much so that it gave me a little shock. lol. I'm going to continue my project now and put the new IDE and runtimes through some testing but overall I am very happy with the IDE responsiveness and Loading times.
Do you happen to use the Mac IDE?

In general YYC is more sensitive to code errors, faults and gives less feedback than VM as it's "purer" als VM, so if you had problems earlier with YYC that means it's plausible there is something wrong in your code in the first place.
Can be that acceptance of the errors by VM was a bug i.e. leading to memory leaks. Now it's repaired and both VM and YYC doesn't accept it. The problem is that there is no error info, in this case you should intensivelu inspect yor code with Debugger.
Right - I've searched everywhere for people with a similar issue and haven't found it yet, so there must be some weird, little thing that I do when I code that most other people don't.

Either that, or my other guess was that maybe my code was too large - I know YYC had a really hard time handling scripts that were several-thousand lines long before, and I've noticed that the crashing occurs when my code is very deep in a stack of massive scripts.

Smiechu

Right - I've searched everywhere for people with a similar issue and haven't found it yet, so there must be some weird, little thing that I do when I code that most other people don't.

Either that, or my other guess was that maybe my code was too large - I know YYC had a really hard time handling scripts that were several-thousand lines long before, and I've noticed that the crashing occurs when my code is very deep in a stack of massive scripts.
I had to rewrite my whole game to make it work with YYC - system by system. Now it works perfectly, and when I add anything new I check it on both VM and YYC. As a first step I would check 2 things - syntax errors (i.e. = instead of == in condition checks), variable name collisions - it could be the case when you use a lot of deep scripting.

P

Pano

Here's another issue : I cannot open options with any other configuration. I have an AMAZON and UNDERGROUND configs that I use with the Android export, and I cannot open either of those configs. Worse than this, I cannot build with these configs. The IDE crashes immediately. I'll log this.

EDIT : I just created a blank test project with 2 configs and it will build the 2nd config, so it's something in my projects that is crashing under the new GMS2 release.
the same..... the window of a configuration doens't appear, I double click but it doens't appear.
Exactly the same with Android and Amazon Fire's Option windows. I get the window about Main, macOS and iOS but not for Android and Amazon Fire

sman

Here's another issue : I cannot open options with any other configuration. I have an AMAZON and UNDERGROUND configs that I use with the Android export, and I cannot open either of those configs. Worse than this, I cannot build with these configs. The IDE crashes immediately.
The same for me with Android :(

F

forsamori

@Pano @sman We've got a bug in about this here: https://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=29875 and @clee2005 managed to find a workaround for this. If you open your options_android.yy file ([project] > options > android), and remove the following line;

"option_android_minimum_sdk": 9,

when you next open Android Game Options, this line will be regenerated with the new way we store sdk versions. You should now be able to open Android Game Options without a problem :)

Thanks again to @clee2005 for helping us with this!

S

Shin Kitsune

I'm having problems with my copy of GMS2.
When I try running it, it gets stuck in a loop while installing the runtime, and I get the following error message:
upload_2018-8-11_22-20-32.png

I've tried running as admin, deletting the AppData and LocalAppData folders, reinstalling, and nothing solves the issue.
I'm using the Steam version.

It won't let me attach or link the file, so I cannot provide it.

I logged a ticket.
i have the same problem

clee2005

There is an issue with 2.1.5 on iOS and iPhoneX devices. The Home Indicator Bar at the bottom of the screen seems to be activating on room changes. This would not be terrible, as it does fade away after a few seconds, but it seems to always be active... In our game you drag stuff from the bottom of the screen, and now dragging from the bottom switches the app! I'll log a ticket.

strings are not working correctly for android on this new update. I made a keyboard myself in gamemaker before the virtual keyboards were introduced. My keyboard no longer types in letters, leaving it empty and blank. Also, I can't delete my cache history unless i use the newest runtime. What's up with this Yoyo Games?

Ladi_Pix3l

If you refer to
ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/
then yes, I've tried deleting that. I'm still experiencing sprite errors.
I'm also seeing similar issues reported on the GMS subreddit, under the new version post.

Edit: Reinstalling fixed the issue. I started to get "Access to path denied" errors but that's because I had to re-enable running as Admin after reinstalling.
Can you DM me exactly what you did please?

X

Xaby

I know, it's Beta. There are funny translations over and over in this version. I am looking at the German version. "XBox One" gets to "XBox Eins" e.g. and also some of the commands are translated like the "image_" commands now are in the help "Bild_"
Bild_Skalierung

But my question is more about the "Nintendo Switch". Can I use the joycons and use there gyroscope? Can I get the IR-image from the right joycon? Will I be able to adress 10 joycons or 5 pairs of joycons and get 2 IR-images out of them?

device_get_tilt_x okay, but also Gamepad_get_device_count has to gave us a number higher 4.
Will we get gamepad_get_colour to get the color of the joycon?

Will gamepad_axis_value(device, axisIndex); work for the gyroscope and accelerometer?

Will we get a more detailed option for HD-rumble? gamepad_set_vibration(device, left_motor, right_motor);
Maybe with the frequency, and if the effect is more up or down in the joycon?

Can I test these things on the PC with the joycons or do I have to upload the game to the dev-kit first to try it out?

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
I know, it's Beta. There are funny translations over and over in this version. I am looking at the German version. "XBox One" gets to "XBox Eins" e.g. and also some of the commands are translated like the "image_" commands now are in the help "Bild_"
Bild_Skalierung

But my question is more about the "Nintendo Switch". Can I use the joycons and use there gyroscope? Can I get the IR-image from the right joycon? Will I be able to adress 10 joycons or 5 pairs of joycons and get 2 IR-images out of them?

device_get_tilt_x okay, but also Gamepad_get_device_count has to gave us a number higher 4.
Will we get gamepad_get_colour to get the color of the joycon?

Will gamepad_axis_value(device, axisIndex); work for the gyroscope and accelerometer?

Will we get a more detailed option for HD-rumble? gamepad_set_vibration(device, left_motor, right_motor);
Maybe with the frequency, and if the effect is more up or down in the joycon?

Can I test these things on the PC with the joycons or do I have to upload the game to the dev-kit first to try it out?
While we can't publicly discuss what we support with Nintendo Switch and joycon functionality etc. If you are a registered Nintendo developer you can put in a support ticket and you will get an answer to all these questions :) Thanks

A

arq

I bought GMS2 Creators license (Windows) from Humble Bundle. Using the latest version with Windows 10 (Educational), have both SSD + HDD, GMS2 installed on SSD.

The IDE usually crashes when doing something that opens a system file browser popup. Eg. if I click "Import" on start page or "Import sprite" in workspace, I almost always get unresponsive IDE and Windows 10 plays "Windows 10 background sound" if I click anywhere on the IDE. So I guess the IDE thinks filebrowser is open, but it never opens anywhere. The only way to get out is killing the process via task manager.

It also seems to be consistent: Either it crashes the first time I use some action that needs filebrowser, or it does not crash during the session at all.

Smiechu

I bought GMS2 Creators license (Windows) from Humble Bundle. Using the latest version with Windows 10 (Educational), have both SSD + HDD, GMS2 installed on SSD.

The IDE usually crashes when doing something that opens a system file browser popup. Eg. if I click "Import" on start page or "Import sprite" in workspace, I almost always get unresponsive IDE and Windows 10 plays "Windows 10 background sound" if I click anywhere on the IDE. So I guess the IDE thinks filebrowser is open, but it never opens anywhere. The only way to get out is killing the process via task manager.

It also seems to be consistent: Either it crashes the first time I use some action that needs filebrowser, or it does not crash during the session at all.
It's a known bug to Yoyo. I still have the same issues, though my bug ticket was "resolved". Yoyo states that the problem is on Microsoft's side and we need to wait for proper Windows updates.

Z

zachary luther

I am having an issue with the pixel editor, when I draw lines they have some sort of weird flare kind of thing and some of the time, not always when I make a shape with them it just creates a large square. finally the eraser leaves behind marks I can not get rid of unless I delete the sprite and start over as well as all of the shape tools leaving behind marks if I have a bigger one that I make smaller. I've tried: restarting game maker, making the texture page bigger, moving a sprite to a separate texture page, changing the size of the pen and sprite and even, restarting my computer but noting I have tried has solved this issue.The problem does not happen when I go to other projects I've been working on this game for almost 2 years and would really like to fix it!

Jack S

To all the people having issues with IDE crashes in windows 10 when trying to access files / file system hooks.

Edit your application launcher to run GMS as Admin user.
Edit your windows defender settings to not scan any GMS executables
Edit your windows defender settings to not scan any of your GMS Cache folders
Edit your windows defender settings to not scan any other related executables used in the build pipeline (depending on platform these may vary.)

I don't get crashes anymore and in my case YYC builds are 20% faster to complete than they were before the configs.

ALSO --- DO NOT place your project in dropbox, google cloud folder, Azure cloud, etc. Any of these can cause problems. Just use GIT (I honestly suggest using tortoise shell extensions and not the build in GIT.)

ALSO unless you set your permissions up - DO NOT --- place your project in my documents or any other protected folder on windows. Go make your own project folder - EX C:\GMS_Projects\ to host all your projects.

A

Andy

Does anyone else get a temporary freeze shortly after running a game?