• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Discussion What's Your PC Rig and Why?

T

Thunder Lion

Hey guys what's your PC rig and why? Please include Motherboard, OS, Peripherals (keyboards, draw pads, etc.) and any other related softwares and accessories. Please also say why.

Coded Games

2013 Mac Pro, because I because prefer MacOS. Its specs are:

6-Core 3.5 GHz Xeon CPU, 64GB of ram, Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs along with a Radeon Vega 56 eGPU.

I got it nearly 5 years ago. I recently upgraded the ram and got the eGPU and it's still really fast. I hope to get at least 3 more years out of it, maybe Apple will finally release a good desktop by then that isn't an iMac.

For software I use GMS2, Affinity Photo/Designer for image editing and Audacity/Garageband for basic audio editing.

Now onto peripherals:

Logitech MX Master: It's a very ergonomic mouse with a ton of useful features like a horizontal scroll wheel, toggleable mouse wheel clickiness (I'd how to describe it), extra buttons and the ability to use gestures.

Pok3r Keyboard: I regularly switch between an Apple Magic Keyboard and this one. I don't really know which like better but I cannot use a keyboard with a number pad. I will never end up using it and I just love the ergonomics and desk space that 60% keyboards give you. The only real complaint I have about the Pok3r keyboard is that it takes quite a while to get used to not having dedicated arrow keys and media controls. Other than that it's a great keyboard.

Rockband 3 midi keyboard: I bought it for playing Rockband but now just use it to dink around in Garaband.

Blue Yeti Mic: It's a pretty decent USB microphone. Probably could have gotten something cheaper that sounds about the same but whatever.

Audiotechnica ATH m40x headphones: These are studio monitors so they have a pretty balanced sound. I've broken both hinges and they are currently held together with electrical tape. They have so far lived through my abuse so 10/5.

Seagate External Hard Drives: For automatic backups and extra storage. Not really much to explain here. These drives have really bad reviews and apparently die fast but mine have lasted around 4 years so I guess I'm lucky.

Some unknown brand USB SSD: This drive has Windows installed on it for when I actually have to boot into Windows. Mostly is just used to play games that don't have MacOS ports.

Cyberpower Uninterruptible Power Supply: It makes sure that I don't lose anything when someone in my house pops the circuit breaker.

Logitech C920 webcam: It's a webcam that's pretty good. They've gotten pretty cheap lately too.

Last edited:
Acer Aspire TC-710
Intel I5-6400 @ 2.71GHz
8GB RAM
eVGA 1050 SC 2GB GDDR5
CORSAIR CX650M PSU
Windows 10 Home 64-bit

BenQ ZOWIE RL2755 - Input lag is super important to me as someone who primarily games on a CRT. I initially had the 24" stated below, but this 27" is my current primary. I now want bigger, though. I love the builtin speakers for when I'm lazy, as well as the aspect-ratio adjustment so that I don't have to mess up my display just to run things in any other setting than the native 16:9 1080p resolution. I just wish it was black instead of a really dark gray.
BenQ RL2455HM - the monitor that made me accept HD gaming, even if the panels of today will never compare to a good ol' tube.

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum mouse - it was tinier than I expected when I bought it, but it is extremely comfortable whilst providing incredible gaming skill that unfortunately feels out of my hands - kind of like driving a modern supercar with all sorts of behind-the-scenes assists as opposed to cars of the 80's and such with no power steering and a beautiful gated shifter with a heavy clutch. Regardless, it's the best and most comfortable mouse I've ever used, and it looks fantastic. My old Logitech G5 feels like a bus by comparison.
Logitech G610 Orion keyboard - I've found that I love Cherry Reds the most, from typing to gaming, and while I enjoy RGB lighting, I'd probably be kicking myself for not having pure white since I'd never want to use any other colour in any realistic scenario. I can never go back to a membrane keyboard, even if I still find them to feel good.
Logitech G933 Artemis RGB headphones - I have a decade-old set of Logitech X540 surround-sound speakers that still function spectacularly, but I've mostly been using headphones for anything other than YouTube background noise over the last several years - when I'm not just using my monitors' builtin speakers, that is. I don't use the RGB lighting for immersion and battery preservation, but it's a nice feature to have just to show off.
Logitech G440 mouse pad - because why nawt when I have the rest of the collection. Ironically, it's smoother when brand new as opposed to being worn in where the pad is then actually smooth as opposed to its rough and gritty production. Quite the contrary to my 20-year-old corporate mouse pad with a builtin calculator which feels like rolling over butter after its decades of use. If that wasn't gray, small, and not a Logitech product to match my other peripherals, I'd still be using it.
Logitech G27 steering wheel set - an awesome entry point when you want a proper driving wheel with a clutch and gearshift for an authentic experience. Spend any more than what it's worth, and you might as well buy a real car with a real manual transmission and get way more enjoyment.

I also have three different external HDDs, to protect all my data from the last couple decades, but mostly to keep many copies of my FPS over its many stages of development. I lose my project, I lose my life's work.

I don't know why I gravitate towards pre-built PCs when I always love custom rigs with awesome cases, windows and RGB LEDs and tons of power and such, but it always seems to be the case that I buy a pre-built, swap in both a GPU and PSU, and call it a day. My PSU is overkill for my hardware; my GPU doesn't even need its own power cable as it runs directly off of the power provided by the motherboard. Considering my PSU is modular, my case is devoid of cables as a result, making for a really clean setup. I haven't really been a PC gamer for the last 8 years or so, though. As long as I can run Half-Life 2 and Need for Speed Shift maxed out at a blistering frame rate, I'm happy.

M

Misty

Mine was the second the cheapest laptop in the pawn shop. Cheapest laptop, you may ask why? That way I can buy more Gold. To save up for retirement. And also Xbox Live Gold, so I can have some sort of social life.

Also, my laptop does the job. The laggier the laptop the better, because this way you can ensure your game does not lag ever. However, my laptop is from 2014. And yet, it is 10 times faster than my old 500 dollar laptop from 2010. And yet, it is 100 times faster than the Windows XP computer of an old grandma. And yet, it was less than half the price of both of those machines. So even if a game runs on my laptop, that is no gaurantee it will run on laggier computers. Because my laptop is still faster than many other computers.

And then there is a thing of where, some computers are very fast at running games. But when you try to do word documents, or browse the internet, it constantly freezes and hangs for minutes. So it is a good idea to have 2 laptops. A laggy laptop, to test all games you made. And a fast laptop, in order so that GM2, and your video editor, does not lag.

D

Deleted member 13992

cpu: i7-8700 (+ evo 212 fan)
graphics: GTX 1070 8GB
motherboard: asus B360
32GB DDR4 2666 MHz
drives: 1TB SSD + 2TB HDD
monitor 1: asus VA32AQ
monitor 2: huion GT-185 pen display (on a movable arm)
case: antec P100

It's a productivity/gaming computer. I do a lot of 2D/3D art, zbrush, substance designer/painter, 3ds max, blender, photoshop, etc, and a lot of it is CPU-bound, hence the i7. I do a lot of heavy audio/music work on it too. The computer is VERY quiet, which is nice.

The 1070 isn't the greatest card on the market, but it's amazing bang-for-buck! Runs nearly everything on ultra.

The main monitor isn't amazing, The resolution is nice at 2560x1440, but the brightness isn't crazy and refresh only 60Hz. Viewing angles are bad too. I'll probably get a better one that hits all the checkboxes I need. Accurate colors (so no VA panel), >=100 refresh rate, better than 300 cd/m2 brightness, and at least the same resolution/size as current. It's tricky picking a monitor at the moment, you either get accurate colors and nice brightness but low refresh. Or you get high refresh but boosted (bad) colors and crushed blacks. Or you get something that has good specs but looks like an abomination, like the asus rog rocket ship displays that use up way more desk space than they actually need.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Thunder Lion

Appreciate all the detailed responses, you guys definitely seem to have set goals for your devices. I should share my rig then, in many respect very similair to a lot of things you guys have. I will reformat it when I get home on my rig.

I have a Dell Inspiron 3650, it is a mid-tower sized desktop, I brought it at a time when my then dell laptop was proving to be insufficient for my needs including basic HD streaming. I had issues with freezing and distorted audio amd high cpu usage. I would work with GM8 and GMS1.4 and the games would take forever to load at times and basic applications had a lot of stuttering. It had a Pentium I believe 5th GEN, 8gb of RAM, a 1TB HDD , touchscreen. It coukd do super light gaming it was just a matter of optimising settings and taking turns with things I wanted to do. In other words a complete waste of $400USD. So I decide "I wanna good pc" so I go to Dell because I wasn't really looking to build a pc and never did. So I buy it for $450 on sale and new starting setup:
6th gen i5, a 8gb 1333mhz ddr3l RAM stick, it had a small NVIDIA GPU (looked like a PCIEx4 card with a cute little fan. It had 1TB of HDD space with 7.2Krpm (a Seagate), and a DVD writable optic drive. So this rig was completely fine say for the boot-up (which was fast until I discovered something fancy) and the loading of applications at times where slow. I am the type to delete bloatware, change my visual settings to bare minimum (keep imagine icons, show window while scrolling and have a custom background lol and then have a page file set to 2x my RAM its a habit really), it also had a nice keyboard and mouse just some generics from Dell and my screen was a 1080p 25inch display from Dell (got it for free) and i bought its specialized speaker used for some change (before I got the laptop, I was using my mom's inspiron 530), I had then decided for no good reason because of some guy on YouTube to go and say "it would be fun to upgrade even though my pc is perfectly fine" and I don't regret it, I'm happy with my purchases.

So bere goes I had to cut some internal metal to add a new GPU but after that I was good.

I am now running:
An i7-6700K (stock clock) with a Noctua heatsink that is as large as I could fit without removing my optical disk drive (which I use pretty normally for my dvds and for backups lol I'm one of those), i added a second 8gb RAM stick identical to the stock one for a total of 16gb 2x8 1333mhz ddr3l RAM, I added a PCIEx1 USB 3.0 card for extra USB slots (these work faster and recharge faster than my 2 motherboard based 3.0 usb ports) for my usb 3.0 based external drive and my random peripherals to come, a Samsung Evo 350? 250gb SATA SSD for OS and applications (almost full will upgrade to 1TB when needed), I kept the 1tb HDD for storing photos, documents and my project resources. I got another 120gb SSD which I had issues using for my mom's 530 so I turned 60gb of it into a page file...(don't judge me), then I added a Zotac GTX 1080 mini suited with a 90 dedree 6 pin adapter to fit the gpu cables in the case), I have a 650watt psu (switched from tge stock 250) from Enermax called Revolution SFX its fully modular whiched help keep the small case pretty tidey. I brought an oem sata power cable to use the stock motherboard's second sata power port to avoid using another PSU cord. I also now have a old Samsung 32 inch 1440p 60hz wide screen and a cheapo gaming headset to listen to music, audio etc.
My SSD makes the bokts super fast and I'm at times using 40% of my RAM 35% cpu. I also got two Noctua fans for exhaust and intake.

Last edited by a moderator:

K12gamer

I have 3 PCs...Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 10
When I make games...I test them on all 3 systems to see if they're compatible with those operating systems.

I mainly use my Gateway Windows 10 PC (Upgraded from Windows 7)
It's nothing special...but gets the job done...

Dual Core, 6GB Ram, 1TB HD

Been using it for around 10 years now.

S

SoraNgin

I use the Microsoft Surface Book 2 15 inch Laptop. Love the portability and drawing capabilities! Perfect for drawing outdoors or anywhere :D

woodsmoke

What stands out with my Desktop PC is the 15" 1366x768 OLED screen (was the biggest consumer OLED at the time of purchase years ago). And the Nubert nuPro A-20 speakers because sound is important and an excellent investment.

Sk8dududu

I got rid of my old 💩💩💩💩 laptop for a new 12" windows 10 tablet. It's the best decision ever. It has 2gb of ram and can literally only hold GMs and a few other programs, but it's super portable so I take it out all the time and I can make game wherever. ❤ I don't give a 💩💩💩💩 about pc gaming, only console and mobile so I don't really need it to be able to do anything other than code and make/edit art.

Maximiliano

I got rid of my old **** laptop for a new 12" windows 10 tablet. It's the best decision ever. It has 2gb of ram and can literally only hold GMs and a few other programs, but it's super portable so I take it out all the time and I can make game wherever. ❤ I don't give a **** about pc gaming, only console and mobile so I don't really need it to be able to do anything other than code and make/edit art.
I was thinking of doing the same thing. I used my laptop for university but ever since I finished I haven't used it pretty much at all. I was thinking of selling it and buying a small 10" or 11" windows tablet/laptop for developing on the go. Since I do all of my gaming on my desktop pc I don't really need a powerful laptop.

Laptop:
Acer Aspire V3-571G
Intel Core i3-3110M 2.4 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M 1GB
15.6" HD screen
6GB DDR3 RAM
500GB HDD

Desktop:
Intel Core i5 6500 3.2GHz
Radeon R7 250 1GB gddr5
8GB DDR4 RAM
1TB HDD

Sk8dududu

I was thinking of doing the same thing. I used my laptop for university but ever since I finished I haven't used it pretty much at all. I was thinking of selling it and buying a small 10" or 11" windows tablet/laptop for developing on the go. Since I do all of my gaming on my desktop pc I don't really need a powerful laptop.
You totally should, especially since you have a desktop for testing and storing 💩💩💩💩. It's super convenient being able to create games or edit photos basically anywhere in a laptop. I got a really thin wireless mouse as well so I can just either put it in my pocket or slide it in the thin case that I have for the tablet.

Roa

I5-4690k @ 4.5ghz cooled by an Evo212
Asrock H81m-HDS
Crucial ballistix low profile DDR3 16(8x2)Gb ram at 1600+67mhz clock with an 8.8.8.23 CAS timing
2x Seagate Baracuda 7200rmp 1Tb drives
128gb Kingston SSD
(Zotac AMP extreme) Nvidia GTX1070 with 8GB of 320b GDDR5
Corsair CX750m 80+ bronze

Peripherals include:
CM storm mouse/key
Xbone Controller

HP Pavillion 22cw 1080p IPS 23" display
LG 4k HDR IPS 55" display

Logiteck C922 1080p webcam
Mugig condenser studio microphone (stereo capture and active noise cancellation) powered by InnoGear 1229
Zylux a425 30 watt Speaker with 4" sub (real wood box)

I do it all, deving, rendering, gaming, streaming, and light audio/video media production.

Last edited:
T

Tyler Logsdon

Dell Optiplex 7010
i5 3550
8gb ddr3 1600
gtx 950 2gb
240gb ssd
500gb hdd
cm devistator 2 kb+m
1080p 60hz dell monitor

N

nlolotte

Intel I5 7400 @ 3.5ghz
8gb RAM
1060 6gb
ASUS motherboard
Cooler master case
Corsair 550 txm power supply
2tb hdd
256gb ssd

For hardware, I use some cheap Logitech mouse as I always break them. An ASUs cerebus keyboard and my monitor is a curved 28” Samsung.