• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Is exporting your game a good backup solution?

Gunner

Hello

I wanna know if exporting your game through file > export or something like that is actually reliable as a backup solution. Can it fail? Corrupted?

Or do I need to zip my project source folder manually?

Also since I'm kinda new, what do you think should be the better way to backup your game in case anything wrong happens.

Thank you.

Dog Slobber

Nothing wrong with exporting, just make sure you put your copies off site, consider some kind of cloud storage.

having said that, source control is ideal for offsite storage, project sharing, ability to track and rollback changes. Project/file copying simply can't compete with its features.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
An exported project isn't that different from zipping the project's source directory. Don't believe me? Try opening any .gmz or .yyz file with 7zip.

My preferred solution is source control with online remote repositories (e.g. GitHub or BitBucket). When I do want a local backup on a USB drive or flash card, I add a local remote repository and just push there instead of origin.

Ednei

Particularly I just do not recommend editing your project inside a cloud folder like onedrive or googledrive, see this topic:

https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.p...roject-source-on-cloud-services-folder.51007/
I usually work with an external hard drive attached to my laptop. I do not usually package the folder in my project when I back up. You can do it manually, or use a program like Iperius Backup to automate your backup. The interesting thing is that this program allows you to upload your project's backup directly to onedrive or google drive accounts.

Please please please try using Bitbucket and git. Trust me, I have had far less issues with saving copies of my projects to BitBucket. It's one of the best ways to save space and also one of the best ways to save your files online. There is an excelent tutorial on youtube that helps you out with setting up git for gamemaker

G

Guy_Typing

Echoing what others are saying about git and a repository hub such as github or bitbucket.
Do yourself a favor and take the time to study and practice these.
Not only is this the optimal method to work, it is the de-facto industry standard and the ideal way to work when working with more than one programmer on the project.