Design Character design - feedback

Niels

Hi all,

I'm making a new project in gamemaker:studio 2, and I feel pretty inspired and excited about the concept.

Without giving away the whole plot I want to introduce you to the protagonist:

Being the last believer of a forgotten deity, in a world that's about to dissolve into nothingnes… what value does my name have?

promotional_elem.png
What do you think of the character design?
Does it look like a interesting characer to play?, are there things you think could improve the design?

thx for reading :)

B

Biddum

I like the design. There is a sense of mystery and the human player can imagine what the face looks like, they can imagine the character in any way they want (for example, I think it is a male while someone else thinks it is female, and depending on gameplay, that openess is something I would welcome) . It is simple and not complex, which I like. Adding more detail to the clothes may take away from the overall mystery.

JacobV

Not sure why but I find the black lines a bit off; maybe they need to be a bit wider. Otherwise very nice!

G

Guest User

Not sure why but I find the black lines a bit off; maybe they need to be a bit wider. Otherwise very nice!
yea, seconding this.
though i feel that the lines are the issue themselves and perhaps a line-less variant would feel less strange? idk

Niels

I like the design. There is a sense of mystery and the human player can imagine what the face looks like, they can imagine the character in any way they want (for example, I think it is a male while someone else thinks it is female, and depending on gameplay, that openess is something I would welcome) . It is simple and not complex, which I like. Adding more detail to the clothes may take away from the overall mystery.
Thanks was going for a bit of a mysterious character (for plot reasons) :)

Niels

Thx for the feedback, will test a version with wider outlines:)
Reason I choose the tin outlines was because I like how they did that in 90's cartoons

A

Alessio

Good and simple enough. I write this as an artist who studied this stuff. Just hope the plot doesn't become too edgy, though.

It reminds me of a White Mage from Final Fantasy though. Oh, with the face of a Black Mage heh.
Jawa...

I tend to think these kind of faces are quite common among hooded characters.

Good and simple enough. I write this as an artist who studied this stuff. Just hope the plot doesn't become too edgy, though.

Jawa...

I tend to think these kind of faces are quite common among hooded characters.
Oh yeah, for sure. I just thought it was amusing after noticing the resemblance to a white mage.

NeoShade

I'm just imagining a world where all the characters have their faces hidden like this, whether under hood, hats, behind masks, etc.
I think it could create a really cool atmosphere.

T

tjheldna

Really like the character the short snippet of story is very intreging. Makes you want to find out more.