• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows AssetCompiler error; could not find part of Z Path (Normal solutions don't work!)

M

Mister B

Okay so when trying to run ANY project from GMS2 I get the following error
'GameMaker Studio AssetCompiler has encountered a problem : Could not find a part of the path Z:\Project...'

I searched around and many people blame this on either
a) A lack of subst.exe in the system32 folder for substituting the Z into drives or
b) Not having C:\Windows\System32 in the environment variables 'Path' directory

( My Windows install is Windows 7 64b)

However I've checked multiple times and both of these are present on my machine! I've tried running as Admin also, as well as re-installing GMS2. I just can't get rid of this error!

Side note; I cannot prove it is connected, however my machine also will not allow for the cmd window to appear for more than an instant before closing. This has been a problem for years I have not been able to solve with registry fixes, but outside of that I can't find any other related problems.

C

circaen00

I'm having this same problem and I have tried that fix. Anyone have a clue on this?

J

Javed Ansari

I solved this same problem by using the second method you described. I'm using Windows 8.1 64bit. Maybe you made some mistakes in adding the environmental directory? I also had to restart GameMaker once to apply the changes.

F

Falconsoft-Industries

Did you make sure ransomware protection was turned off while building and creating and compiling your game?

Dog Slobber

To test if subst is in the correct directory and PATHed correct open a CMD box and type:

subst

if:
  • it displays nothing and returns you to the CMD prompt
  • or it displays a list of substituted drives,
things are OK and subst is working OK, it's something else.

if an error message appears, than you have a problem with subst not being installed or your PATH not set properly. You need to fix it.

To fix your CMD prompt and other issues open powershelgl in admin mode and type:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

There is a very good chance that if you can't execute CMD commands, than neither can Studio.

Last edited: