How Do You Develop a Game Without Actual Sprites?

It's been a while since I developed a game using GameMaker. The reason why I haven't been using GameMaker to develop a game because I didn't have any actual sprites I was gonna used for developing a game using GameMaker. I'd used sprites created from Paint, but only temporary sprites for my game that looks terrible. How can I continue to develop a game using better temporary sprites for Game Maker?

This is a particular problem I have always struggled with. There are a few options:

- Make better sprites. If you don't know how, you have to learn. I have not figured this out yet.
- You can make a game which does not require complicated sprites, for example, Thomas was Alone is made entirely of rectangles, spruced up with graphics effects, shaders, lighting, particles, etctera. But it's important to note, the rectangular nature was critical to the design of Thomas was Alone, you can't make a game like that without a good reason without it being really obvious that you didn't put effort into the art.
- Don't worry about it. Just use terrible placeholder sprites. The optimist argues that it doesn't matter, a good game doesn't need good sprites to be good. The cynic says you need good art to get anybody to be interested in your project. But what I'm doing now is using placeholder sprites, and if I end up with a good game, then I'll deal with making the art nice, one way or another. (Making it myself, hiring someone, purchasing assets, for example. Most of that costs money though, money not worth spending until everything else is done).

Mana

1- I'm learning pixel art with internet tutorials so I can have my sprites XD
(but I did a pixel art begginer course at udemy so I could get a grasp of the basics. It's a good help but not necessary)

2- You could find someone who draws to be your partner.
A simply forum post is a good start to find someone

3- Just go with the sprites you can make.
A good art is nice, but a game is more than that.
Undertale doesn't have the best art but it was a huge success since the game "nail it" in other areas.

1- I'm learning pixel art with internet tutorials so I can have my sprites XD
(but I did a pixel art begginer course at udemy so I could get a grasp of the basics. It's a good help but not necessary)

2- You could find someone who draws to be your partner.
A simply forum post is a good start to find someone

3- Just go with the sprites you can make.
A good art is nice, but a game is more than that.
Undertale doesn't have the best art but it was a huge success since the game "nail it" in other areas.
Hmm... Sounds cool. I was thinking about doing #1 and #3 instead because I working on practicing drawing art on a Sketchpad. I had gotten a little better at it and once I done with that, I'd start using my art for my game.

Smiechu

There are literally tons of free game asstes on the internet. In most cases the creators of the assets don't mind how you use them, so you are free to modify them to your needs.

Stop using paint!
There are great freeware programs out there - try:
- paint.net - raster graphics,
- inkscape - vector graphics.

Niels

Just like coding, drawing/painting is a learned skill.. Practice, practice, and practice some more..

HighlandCoo

I second the vote for paint.net. Once you start adding plugins its great, its free, and there are loads of tutorials online to help.

Anyway, you will have to accept that your game WILL LOOK TERRIBLE at the start. Its just how it is. Concentrate on fun gameplay, bug fixing, performance and features before you worry about your art.

D

Dragon Studios

I use rectangles (or any shape that fits the object) with the size I want the finished sprite's mask to have when making the game.

You can also use Krita for finished game art, don't use Paint.

Toque

I will make my own art or use stock art when making a game. Sometimes I get an artist to make initial art at the start.

Then start making the game. When it starts to work like I want to I make a video of it.

Send requirements and video back to the artist to get finalized art done.

He likes the video to give some perspective of what he needs to do.

Electros

It's been a while since I developed a game using GameMaker. The reason why I haven't been using GameMaker to develop a game because I didn't have any actual sprites I was gonna used for developing a game using GameMaker. I'd used sprites created from Paint, but only temporary sprites for my game that looks terrible. How can I continue to develop a game using better temporary sprites for Game Maker?
If you are wanting to do some learning, I think Chris's large collection of tutorials here are brilliant:

http://www.2dgameartguru.com/

Think there is probably a forum sticky somewhere with a load of these kind of resources listed.

There are literally tons of free game asstes on the internet. In most cases the creators of the assets don't mind how you use them, so you are free to modify them to your needs.

Stop using paint!
There are great freeware programs out there - try:
- paint.net - raster graphics,
- inkscape - vector graphics.
Ty, I looking forward to using these programs for drawing art.

I second the vote for paint.net. Once you start adding plugins its great, its free, and there are loads of tutorials online to help.

Anyway, you will have to accept that your game WILL LOOK TERRIBLE at the start. Its just how it is. Concentrate on fun gameplay, bug fixing, performance and features before you worry about your art.
Wow. Well, I never actually thought of continuing to develop a game first than focus on creating art first, then develop a game. Back then, I was worry about looking for someone to draw art for my game. Now, I know that I need to learn how to draw and stop looking for someone to draw art for my game.

I will make my own art or use stock art when making a game. Sometimes I get an artist to make initial art at the start.

Then start making the game. When it starts to work like I want to I make a video of it.

Send requirements and video back to the artist to get finalized art done.

He likes the video to give some perspective of what he needs to do.
That sounds pretty cool. I'd like to develop a game now using placeholder sprites now. Well, I guess I have to create videos using art that I need; whether placeholder sprites or not.

Firstly I just have to say, MSpaint isn't terrible, it's my primary quick editor. And if you're comfortable with it, you can still do some good stuff with it.
Secondly, Most of my games are a bunch of coloured rectangles until I get the gameplay and stuff sorted out, with actual proper art often being one of the last things I do and add.

E

ethanscott

This is a particular problem I have always struggled with. There are a few options:

- Make better sprites. If you don't know how, you have to learn. I have not figured this out yet.
- You can make a game which does not require complicated sprites, for example, Thomas was Alone is made entirely of rectangles, spruced up with graphics effects, shaders, lighting, particles, etctera. But it's important to note, the rectangular nature was critical to the design of Thomas was Alone, you can't make a game like that without a good reason without it being really obvious that you didn't put effort into the art.
- Don't worry about it. Just use terrible placeholder sprites. The optimist argues that it doesn't matter, a good game doesn't need good sprites to be good. The cynic says you need good art to get anybody to be interested in your project. But what I'm doing now is using placeholder sprites, and if I end up with a good game, then I'll deal with making the art nice, one way or another. (Making it myself, hiring someone, purchasing assets, for example. Most of that costs money though, money not worth spending until everything else is done).
Hey!
Thanks a tonne! This actually helps me a lot

YanBG

With placeholders, just make sure that there is no hardcoding using their dimensions etc. So the new/different sprites would work too.