• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Steam Steam Direct

F

Freedom2Fight

I'm planning on releasing a game for free.

And while I know that I don't need to use Steam, I have my reasons on why I want to also upload the games to Steam myself.

However, Steam Direct needs a submission payment of $100 for a single game. The documentation said its recoupable after a certain point in sales. But the game I'm gonna upload is for free. So. That money is basically gone...? That's a hundred simoleons.

What? Do I add an optional DLC? Like that Doki Doki Literature thing? It's free but has a 15 Dollar DLC. The thing's famous though. And I'm not overly optimistic.

The-any-Key

I would not count on it. If your game got about >100 000 downloads you can try add some dlc and you may earn your money back.

S

seanm

It's paid back to you after your game generates $1000 in sales or in app purchases.

Warspite2

Why would you release it for free on Steam? If it's just a simple game at least charge .99 cents for it. If it's even a halfway decent game try 1.99 or more. You can always lower your price if you think it's too high. Steam users are not like mobile users, they actually dont mind spending money on a decent game. If you still want to go free I recommend itch.io or game jolt, no fee there. Whatever your decision good luck with your game :)