• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Android Crash reporting/management in mobile platforms?

S

sodap

Hi, we are closing to releasing a game developed in GameMaker on Android and iOS.

My concern is, coming from mobile development, there are lots of solutions for logging and diagnosing crashes (Flurry, Crashlytics, etc) - however I haven't seen any indication on how to make them work with GameMaker.

This is critical for us as we have one or two very random bugs that make the runtime dialog box pop up with the call stack but we don't know any ways to transmit them to a logging infrastructure for us to diagnose when the app goes live.

S

sodap

I'm bumping this just in case anyone can help us with this issue

rIKmAN

I'm bumping this just in case anyone can help us with this issue
Would love to hear any solutions as well.
There is a Flurry Extension and Blog Article by YYG but it's for 1.4 and I'm not sure if it deals with crashes / logs.
It sounds like it's similar to GameAnalytics where you can track progress of players and get anaytics of what they are doing in-game rather than deal with crashes.

If you had an API in mind that you wanted to use you could look at wrapping it for use with GMS/GMS2, or paying someone else to do it for you.
There may also be something already available that I'm not aware of, but a quick Google didn't come up with anything obvious.

kroart

I'm also in need to have crash logs reporting system. And it seems that there is no solution yet. I've reported this as wish to YoYo support and hope it will be implemented.

clee2005

Yeah, I'm wondering if there is a way to get at the Logcat output (Android) as it has the exact error. So somewhere in the Gamemaker interpreter it's logging the error... at that point you should be able to intercept the output and send it somewhere... file, webservice etc. You'd have to do it for the other outputs too I suspect. I'm just guessing here.

rIKmAN

Yeah, I'm wondering if there is a way to get at the Logcat output (Android) as it has the exact error. So somewhere in the Gamemaker interpreter it's logging the error... at that point you should be able to intercept the output and send it somewhere... file, webservice etc. You'd have to do it for the other outputs too I suspect. I'm just guessing here.
Basic instructions for getting the logcat output are in this article: https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/216753388-ADB-Logging-Your-Android-Game
ADB is totally independent of GM so it should work no matter what version of GMS you use.

clee2005

No sorry, that's not what I meant. I meant if Gamemaker is outputting the error to the device log, then it would seem possible to get in there before it goes to the log and re-route it to someplace else, text file, web service or whatever.