• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

I'm going to be a COMPUTER teacher this year...

K12gamer

I'm a little nervous...even though I've been teaching 1st grade for the past 18 years....and a
few other subjects before that.

I'll be teaching Computers for Grades 1 to 6.

I plan to make it fun...and show them a lot of educational games...
Hopefully some of the ones I've seen that were made with GameMaker.

May even try to teach some of the older students how to use GameMaker.

slojanko

As much as I would like to be taught Game Maker in school or learning through games, I feel like the focus could be better prioritized. My primary school Computer class was about basics like what are programs, making a simple webpage with software called Kompozer and using Audacity to quickly edit music. Your education system might be different and by 1-6 grades you might not mean ages betwen 6 and 12.

K12gamer

As much as I would like to be taught Game Maker in school or learning through games, I feel like the focus could be better prioritized. My primary school Computer class was about basics like what are programs, making a simple webpage with software called Kompozer and using Audacity to quickly edit music. Your education system might be different and by 1-6 grades you might not mean ages betwen 6 and 12.
I figure I'll start with...
1) Taking care of the computer...Screen savers, changing backgrounds, what to use to clean the screens etc.
2) How to properly turn the PC off (in Windows) I still see people pushing in the power button to do this :eek:
3) Discuss the various operating systems and web browsers

What other topics do you think I should cover?

Note: Currently searching online for FREE educational websites, programs, online school stuff etc...
Will also be taking a few Computer cources soon (I currently have a Masters degree in Elem Ed.)

slojanko

You could try doing a global sum of using a computer, something you would expect any user to know:
- I/O devices: keyboard, mouse, microphone, gamepad, touchscreen, printer, speaker, monitor... (maybe just naming them so they're familiar with the working environment of a computer)
- searching the web for information (using google/bing by searching for keywords only, which best describe what you're looking for. do's and don'ts)
- staying safe on the internet (avoiding suspicious links, software to keep you safe - although this might be too advanced, just explaining what an AV/Firewall does)
- managing your computer (as you said, changing the background, updating the date&time, maybe show them how to disable all those privacy policies you accept when using Windows 10)
- a very basic introduction into Microsoft Word (I would have found this really useful since I apparently failed an exam regarding this...)

I would personally avoid internal hardware (even though I knew everything about my PC 12 years ago when I was still 9-ish). We did have a motherboard on display which I could never stop staring at, it might peak the interest of someone.

Coded Games

I remember hating every computer related thing throughout elementary school. Then again this was the early to mid 2000s and I think my teachers thought the sole purpose for computers was typing papers.

I found Runescape was a significantly better teacher at learning how to type and using computers.

K12gamer

I remember hating every computer related thing throughout elementary school. Then again this was the early to mid 2000s and I think my teachers thought the sole purpose for computers was typing papers.

I found Runescape was a significantly better teacher at learning how to type and using computers.
When I was in Elem / Mid School...our computers only had green words on them...No graphics at all.
I really hated computers back then...and avoided them when ever possible.
I found a portable Word Processor (from Panasonic) to be a far more useful tool.
Note: I still have that thing...and will probably try to sell it on ebay.

G

Guest User

some more suggestions:

- basic organization skills, since a lot of schools are using computers for homework now. like learning how to group things together in folders, put things in their respective libraries (Documents, Pictures, etc.), and so on. easy to lose assignments otherwise.

- how to put in a USB and safely remove it. they're most likely going to be using them a lot, so it's worth mentioning.

- i agree that it may be too advanced as well, but honestly slojanko's suggestion of learning the basics of anti-virus, ad-block, and firewall stuff somehow would be really good. i think even just a very basic explanation that it keeps the computer safe from getting sick may prevent some serious issues later on if they never really learn elsewhere? idk.

- how to install/uninstall software from the internet safely, perhaps. as in, how to download things, maybe some pointers on avoiding those shifty download sites, how to get them to install by clicking the .exe, and how to get to the "uninstall program" list in Windows (idk how it is for other OS).
im not sure how to make this not-complicated, but its a useful skill for anyone who is going to be using a computer like...at all. this way they won't need to ask for help every time like my dad does, or download from shady sites like my brother (who got a virus once b/c he just assumed all minecraft downloads were the same and it was ok to re-download it from any link that popped up on google). though this last one kind of falls into internet safety already mentioned.

K12gamer

@hipstercapitalist

Great ideas!
I do see a lot of people just pulling their USB pins out of computers...without clicking remove first.
Yes...organizing files and even changing Folder icons are very useful things to know.

I'll survey them to see if they know what anti-virus they or their parents use at home.
We could visit various virus / anti malware websites like Windows Defender, PANDA etc...and read what advantages some might have over others.

Last edited:

Gamebot

Nice job!

About third grade is when they teach kids the basics here. For instance, for loops and repeat statements.

Last edited: