• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Legacy GM Making full-screen with black bars

Hello. :)
In GameMaker 8.1, if you have an application that is smaller than the display size and put it to full-screen, the rest of the screen will be made up by black bars.
In GameMaker Studio 1.4, if you have an application that is smaller than the display size and put it to full-screen, the application will be scaled up to fit the screen, making it blur.
I followed RangerX's tutorial to remake the old behaviour, using the first method described in his post.
There's one issue, however: the mouse still behaves like the game works the second way.
Some else described the problem as well, but I couldn't find an answer in the thread.
Hello, i have some problems with the "pixel perfect", the screen is scaled, but just the visual, here is a photo to show better what is happening: View attachment 1455

The-any-Key

Set it to keep-ratio in the graphics settings in properties to get the black bars.
Set it to stretch in the graphics settings in properties to stretch the game to fit the screen.

Set it to keep-ratio in the graphics settings in properties to get the black bars.
Set it to stretch in the graphics settings in properties to stretch the game to fit the screen.
That doesn't work, it only keeps the aspect ratio then, not the actual resolution. So if for example my game is 4:3, and I play it on a larger, 16:9 monitor, it will still scale up, and there will only be black bars on the sides, not at the top and bottom.

I've gotten two rough ideas for potential solutions, one from pudarida and one from matharoo. Both might be possible to get to work, but both also seem quite intimidating, and surely too complex to program in time.

The-any-Key

What version of GM do you have?

And you made the settings on the platform you export to?
You need to set Windows>Graphics>Full scale for windows, Linux>Graphics>Full scale for Ubuntu...

What version of GM do you have?

And you made the settings on the platform you export to?
You need to set Windows>Graphics>Full scale for windows, Linux>Graphics>Full scale for Ubuntu...
GM:S 1.4, as said in the OP. The exact version doesn't matter, as this works this way in all of GameMaker: Studio.
Uh, no. Quite opposite to what I'm trying to achieve, that removes all black bars.

Windows>Graphics>Keep aspect ratio for windows, Linux>Graphics>Keep aspect ratio for Ubuntu...
That doesn't work, it only keeps the aspect ratio then, not the actual resolution. So if for example my game is 4:3, and I play it on a larger, 16:9 monitor, it will still scale up, and there will only be black bars on the sides, not at the top and bottom.

Yes. :) Black borders all around, as long as you're playing on a monitor of a greater width and height than the game.

Electros

Yes. :) Black borders all around, as long as you're playing on a monitor of a greater width and height than the game.
Out of curiosity, doesn't that mean if you played it on a 4K monitor, it would potentially be taking up a very small area in the centre of the screen?

One comment on this bit:
In GameMaker Studio 1.4, if you have an application that is smaller than the display size and put it to full-screen, the application will be scaled up to fit the screen, making it blur.
Do you have "Interpolate colours between pixels" checked under the graphics settings, or anti-aliasing turned on elsewhere? Could be contributing to the blurring referred to.

The-any-Key

Out of curiosity, doesn't that mean if you played it on a 4K monitor, it would potentially be taking up a very small area in the centre of the screen?
I think he want the game to change the resolution to whatever the view port has. Doesn't i already do that if you run in fullscreen mode?

That is indeed what I wanted, although I'm not sure if it was a good idea. :p

GMWolf

aka fel666
One Option would be to scale it up by integer factors such that it matches the target screen % best.
For instance, you might want it to match 1/3 of the screen. So keep increasing the scale of the viewport size until you get there.

This will keep nice square, pixel arty goodness, and give a nice frame around your game. Should scale well to all monitors, even big outdoor ones.

I'm sure a 320 x 200 viewport will look awesome on a 4K screen.
I think I was intending on 1024x768, actually, so that's not that bad. :p
One Option would be to scale it up by integer factors such that it matches the target screen % best.
For instance, you might want it to match 1/3 of the screen. So keep increasing the scale of the viewport size until you get there.

This will keep nice square, pixel arty goodness, and give a nice frame around your game. Should scale well to all monitors, even big outdoor ones.
I think I tried that, but anyway, I don't think I'll ever try to do this again. I just commented for fun, on this old thread. ;) But thanks for your post!