• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker Question: converting from Windows to Other...

G

Gigaus

I wanted to know, how difficult is it to take a finished game you've made, and port it between platforms? I'm primarily developing for Windows PC, but I do have an interest in Mobile and Console gaming. Past experiences with porting however have left me a bit wary to porting.

To that end, is there a major difference in how the GMS 2 handles platforms beyond controls? More specifically, If a game is totally finished for one platform, can it be exported to another universally or will major changes need to be made?

The-any-Key

More specifically, If a game is totally finished for one platform, can it be exported to another universally or will major changes need to be made?
Depends in the platform.
Windows > mobile : Make sure you got mobile controls and the game scale to the screen.
Windows > HTML5: Calculations and numbers can cause problems with scrolling background and positions.
Windows > Console: No experience. But I guess you need to have gamepad support.

G

Gigaus

Depends in the platform.
Windows > mobile : Make sure you got mobile controls and the game scale to the screen.
Windows > HTML5: Calculations and numbers can cause problems with scrolling background and positions.
Windows > Console: No experience. But I guess you need to have gamepad support.
Okay, that's what I expected, but I'm guessing by that then it's not the nightmare that old unity could be. Thanks.