Team Request Hoping for some help with a game

C

Christian.bo

Hi

My name is Christian, i'm new to this site (and to the the world on working with videogames) so i'm sorry if i step over any of the guidelines.

Anyways i'm hoping to make a little 2D side-scrolling game.... But after playing around in Gamemaker for awhile i came to the conclusion that i simply do not have that kind of skills.

I'm here because i was hoping to find someone who'd be willing to help me out on it.

I have no idea how many people are needed for this kind of task, as i'm (like i said) very new to this.

I'm have the story worked out, it's a sort of gothic tale of a priest in a small village who's haunted by his past. It mostly takes place in a forest.

I'm hoping for it to have an oldschool kinda feel, like the old Super Mario games or that game Claire.

I don't know if this would be of any interest to anyone in here, but i'm hoping...

I've worked on a few comic books as a writer, so i'm used to coordinating with artists, via e-mail of Facebook. I live in Denmark

Anyway, i hope someone might have an interest in helping me out here, i know the workload will probably be worst on whoever works with me, and i know pretty much nothing, so please be patient with all the stupid questions i'm sure i'll be asking.

Hope to hear from someone

A

Aaron Kendrick

Hey there! My names Aaron Kendrick and I've been programming for quite a while (10~ years)

I would be interested in checking out your project and helping out if possible. I have huge responsibilities atm, so I could not become a dedicated member at this time, but I could help out here and there.

You can find me on my discord: https://discord.gg/0oJUqy2aF6lHm1Sv or friend me with Aaron#9816

C

Christian.bo

Hi Aron!

So cool, that would be awesome. Again i'm not 100% sure on what the first step will be, towards making this game (other then what i've already come up with, which is only story elements)

Originally i came up with this idea, when i was planning on making a short film... I ended up getting a fulltime job around the time i was hoping to shoot the film, and i simply didn't have to time to do it. So now i'm hoping to make it into a little game.

I'll find you on Discord!

Christian

C

Christian.bo

Hi Rob!

Yeah, i tried those tutorial videos after messing around in GameMaker and getting absolutely nowhere.... I still find it very difficult to do anything... But the tutorial did help.. A little. Still think it would take the rest of my life if i had to do a game like this on my own.

StormGamez

Hi there, i would love to help out with the project, just depends on what version of game maker your using, other than that i hope i can help out with making this game of yours!

I'm good with programing although i can't say i know everything (2 years experience with GML) and im decent at getting up prototypes of games.

Also just a suggestion, but you should try look for pixel artist, sound designers and musicians as they seem to be the smaller of the community here.

Best regards - SG

Alexx

If you have any specific requests for movement, effects, saving, loading, state control, debugging, enemy ai, feel free to send me a message. I can quickly let you know if it is something that I can assist with.

C

Christian.bo

Hi there, i would love to help out with the project, just depends on what version of game maker your using, other than that i hope i can help out with making this game of yours!

I'm good with programing although i can't say i know everything (2 years experience with GML) and im decent at getting up prototypes of games.

Also just a suggestion, but you should try look for pixel artist, sound designers and musicians as they seem to be the smaller of the community here.

Best regards - SG
Hi SG

Sounds great!

I'm just using the free basic version of GameMaker, figured it best to try it out before spending a lot of money on it.

Yeah, i'm starting to realize that i'll be needing a few people to get this off the ground.

C

Christian.bo

If you have any specific requests for movement, effects, saving, loading, state control, debugging, enemy ai, feel free to send me a message. I can quickly let you know if it is something that I can assist with.
Hi Alexx

Will do, right now i'm pretty much at 0% with this game, but if any specific requests comes up, i'll be sure to drop you a line.

V

Vallee

if you are an absolute beginner and just want some code you can copy and paste for an extremely simple platformer

(Note this code was not Programmed by me it was created by Shaun Spalding)

Create 2 objects O_Wall or obj_Wall (or whatever naming conventions you want to use)
and obj_Player

at obj_Player

Create
///Initialize Variables
grav = 0.2;
hsp = 0;
vsp = 0;
jumpspeed = 7;
movespeed = 4;

Step
//Get the player's input
key_right = keyboard_check(vk_right);
key_left = -keyboard_check(vk_left);
key_jump = keyboard_check_pressed(vk_space);

//React to inputs
move = key_left + key_right;
hsp = move * movespeed;
if (vsp < 10) vsp += grav;

if (place_meeting(x,y+1,obj_wall))
{
vsp = key_jump * -jumpspeed
}

//Horizontal Collision
if (place_meeting(x+hsp,y,obj_wall))
{
while(!place_meeting(x+sign(hsp),y,obj_wall))
{
x += sign(hsp);
}
hsp = 0;
}
x += hsp;

//Vertical Collision
if (place_meeting(x,y+vsp,obj_wall))
{
while(!place_meeting(x,y+sign(vsp),obj_wall))
{
y += sign(vsp);
}
vsp = 0;
}
y += vsp;

I Don't recommend simply copying and pasting code but hopefully this gives you something to jump off to create a game I would recommend learning basic functions such as place_meeting(), instance_create_depth(), or
instance_create_layer() if you are an absolute maverick as well as basic universal programming statements if {}, with (Object), repeat, while etc...

GML is a relatively forgiving language compared to C# or Java or even Python to an extent. It does not require you to define a bool, string an int or a float it does it automatically (in most languages typing c = true needs to be defined as bool I = true or boolean I = true or int c = 1) and does not require you to put semi colonies at the end of lines of code any way hopefully this helps you!

StormGamez

Hi SG

Sounds great!

I'm just using the free basic version of GameMaker, figured it best to try it out before spending a lot of money on it.

Yeah, i'm starting to realize that i'll be needing a few people to get this off the ground.
Alright ill be looking forward to helping with working on this project.

Im also guessing your using the free version of GMS2, which im still trying to get used to the interface (of GMS2 in general) as im more used to the 1.4 interface, anyways best of luck

- SG