• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Audio quality issues after updating to v1.4.1788

T

Threxx

After updating to the most recent beta channel we've noticed audio issues in our game, related to both our Chiptune Player plugin as well as the native Game Maker audio functions.

The overall audio quality seems garbled and noticeable artifacts can be heard in the audio. Sound effects also occasionally seem to start partially into the effect.

The most recent beta build introduces a number of positive bug fixes that will benefit our project, but as it stands these audio issues make the build unusable.

Has anyone else experienced these issues, and is there a solution?

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
We have identified issues on the audio side, they are fixed internally and we are testing a new GM Beta build for release (not sure when it will be out)

Russell

Reactions: jef
J

jef

We have identified issues on the audio side, they are fixed internally and we are testing a new GM Beta build for release (not sure when it will be out)

Russell
If you are at it can you also fix the problem that gm uses less memory on android phones?

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
I think you will need to file a specific issue for you if it has been fixed (but you are not seeing the benefit) as the issue may be completely different to the one you are seeing.

Isolate the issue into a sample project and then submit a bug (Help -> Report a bug) with a link to the project, the simpler the project is the more likely that we can fix it quickly.

EDIT: Actually re reading the bug properly with my head in a better place and I realise you do have a GMZ attached to the issue - I have added a note to the bug with a work around for the issue

Russell

Last edited:
T

Threxx

This issue is still present in 1.4.1804, with no changes. The changelog suggested that the audio issues were corrected, but this does not seem to be the case.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Obviously the bug we fixed has not addressed your issue, can you please file a bug and attach a project that shows the problem and we will take a look

Russell

T

Threxx

I'm did not make another project because this issue is already documented on your Mantis Bug Tracker: https://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=29132

My problems are effectively identical to the issues described in this bug. I am not sure why some people at YYG are aware of this issue and you are not (this suggests massive miscommunication), but it is already documented.

When I attempted to follow up to my bug ticket about the issue, I was told that "nothing can be done" and that I am forced to use the stable build (without the quality of life fixes) or "manage with the audio issues."

There are elements of my project that depend on audio cues, audio quality being damaged or sound effects not playing correctly or fully is a serious problem that we cannot simple "manage" with.

It is rather appalling how paying customers are being treated, and how YYG staff seem to not be consistently aware of issues in GMS. These kinds of runarounds getting serious issues fixed does not exactly encourage me to purchase GMS2 or any future YYG product. There are a number of simple solutions to this, including allowing users to choose which audio engine to use, so we can use the audio system that worked for us and be able to enjoy the quality of life improvements to the IDE. I do not see how "nothing can be done", and it seems as if YYG is apathetic to people with issues in GMS1 entirely.

I do not mean to rant on the subject, but this is extremely frustrating for me, and it is as if no one takes any care in my issue or the issues of others on this board.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
I have tested the project attached to that bug and it works on the available machines I have access to, so you will have to give us more information on what is not working properly as we think that we have fixed that specific issue.

Now it could be that it is choosing the wrong device for playback which is affecting the perceived sound quality, you will need to give us more information on the circumstances and perhaps a recording of what you are hearing.

Russell

Andrey

I'm did not make another project because this issue is already documented on your Mantis Bug Tracker:
Well, maybe there will be changes in the next build, because my problem 0021791 though it is corrected, in the assembly 1.4.1804 is saved.

P.S.: With horror I think that I will find this leak in GMS 2.1.4 :eek:

T

Threxx

See post below - I was unable to edit the necessary videos and images into this post.

I have tested the project attached to that bug and it works on the available machines I have access to, so you will have to give us more information on what is not working properly as we think that we have fixed that specific issue.

Now it could be that it is choosing the wrong device for playback which is affecting the perceived sound quality, you will need to give us more information on the circumstances and perhaps a recording of what you are hearing.

Russell
Like I said:

1. Audio quality is noticeably distorted. This is universal.
2. Sound effects can be cut off early, or begin playing late.

EDIT: I attempted to record my issues, but it seems the audio was not recorded at all in my video recorder:

This seems to suggest that something is going wrong with selecting the audio device, further supported by this image:

The audio engine is searching for a "null" audio device and claims to be defaulting to my normal speakers, but this is clearly not working correctly.

There is no way that this issue can be considered "fixed" when it is clearly still occurring for people.

I was told via e-mail that this issue was being "worked on", and I am being told here that it is considered fixed. What is it? It is also seriously worth noting that the "stable" download on the official YoYo games dashboard on my account has been replaced with 1804 (although it still says 1773) and I had to find the changelog in order to download 1773.

You cannot release an unstable build and then prevent your users from rolling back.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

squarebit

The build that was pushed to stable today (1.4.1804) completely distorts all sound to the point where certain tones in my background music get painful to even hear. What's up?

S

squarebit

I'm not sure how a sample would help here but ok.
Here's a video meanwhile to clarify:

Use headphones for best effect.. the in-game is much more sharp, has a lot of noise to it.. and seem to be slightly higher in pitch. It used to sound like the VLC one with fuller, softer tones.

Update: Submitted a report and used a different track in it where the problem is much more clear.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Threxx

For these audio issues we will need you to file bugs here: https://account.yoyogames.com/report-bug (once the report has been submitted you can then attach samples to the ticket created)
I did submit a ticket, and it was closed because I was told that this issue was being worked on.

Now I am conversely being told that this issue was fixed. Again, which is it?

I will not make a second ticket as the support personnel I conversed with already did what they were able to do. I can provide the number of the ticket I already submitted.

G

GPB

I did submit a ticket, and it was closed because I was told that this issue was being worked on.

Now I am conversely being told that this issue was fixed. Again, which is it?

I will not make a second ticket as the support personnel I conversed with already did what they were able to do. I can provide the number of the ticket I already submitted.
The attempt to fix the issue has now wrecked my sound - 1.4.1804 has caused stutter. I did not suffer this in any previous version.

Just installed the new update for Gamemaker 1.4 (1.4.1804).

I notice that it stated that one of the fixes was to stop sound stuttering in Windows.
I never had that problem... until I updated Gamemaker with the new update.

The "sound fix" has actually added the problem to my set up, not fixed it.

I notice the compile now has this error at end:
Unable to find output device "null" defaulting to "Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio) via DirectSound"

S

squarebit

I've had some help and done some testing on the issue (Thanks Pete!) and it seems that shifting sounds to be stereo and using 48000Hz sample rate improves the sound quality significantly.. works as a workaround until it is solved. For some reason this also works on files which have a lower than 48000 sample rate.

I have updated to v1.4.1804 from v1.4.1773 and found that in the new update sounds are taking about one third of the memory than it used to take. Is there really such a big memory optimization done by yoyogames for sounds or the debugger is showing the wrong info?

E

EEH

Sorry for reviving this old thread, I was actually having the same poor audio quality problem with 1804. Seems I had to get the beta .9999 to get this issue resolved with 44100.