Design Make non-game programs in gamemaker?

S

SmashArtist

Hello!
I was just wondering if it's allowed to create non-game programs in gamemaker, such as a tool to organize text or even a more simple platformer game engine, etc.
Thank you for you answers! :)

Joe Ellis

I got in touch with Yoyo about whether I'm allowed to release my program as a stand alone exe, and they said you're not allowed to make a program that can make a working game by itself, cus the program would fall under competition with gamemaker, but most other types of programs are allowed, like an image or text editor, even things related to game making, like an animation tool or a model editor.

J

japreja

What the previous poster said, I believe it has always been that way. I worked on a GPS Parser and Demo several years ago, archived in the "Legacy GMC Archive" at the bottom of the forums main page. However the links are dead to download the code, I also had made a tool that helped users post in the correct location, either the forums or the Site Help and support. Again the links are dead but it is in my old signature linked with the GPS Parser. You may need to make separate API's in C, C++, and/or assembler to create extensions to further enhance Game Maker. The GPS Parser I worked on used an extension to access serial ports and/or virtual serial ports. I don't know if it is still possible but I will be looking through my old disks to find all this.

You are only limited by your imagination! If you think you can do it, then you most likely can with a little effort :), Don't doubt yourself but always consider "Failure is an option" and a learning experiance.

cgPixel

I got in touch with Yoyo about whether I'm allowed to release my program as a stand alone exe, and they said you're not allowed to make a program that can make a working game by itself, cus the program would fall under competition with gamemaker, but most other types of programs are allowed, like an image or text editor, even things related to game making, like an animation tool or a model editor.
I can't find something like that in the official EULA.
There are so many Game Creators based on the GameMaker Engine out there, that even got posted on the GMC a while back.
Silent Walk FPS Creator 1 & 2 & RENAISSANCE for example:
http://www.silentworks.hu/sw/
http://www.silentworks.hu/swr/

T

ThePandaSenpai

I remember when I made a RNG app for my phone with it. Lol. I was still learning how to use GMS. But yea I guess it should be fine as long as you don't make a program to compete with them.

Michael

I can't find something like that in the official EULA.
I can't either. What I can find in the latest license agreement of GMS, is:
4. PROHIBITED ACTIONS
ii. Do not ...create derivative works

The term "derivative work" is well described for example here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivative_work.
In short, you don't create a derivative work, if you create something with, in relation to the original work, substantial new ideas and concepts developed by yourself.

Whether this will be competitive to the original work or not does not matter at all (think of an artist painter, wo derived a substantial new painting from another painters work. Of course the new paintig is in competition to the first work in the arts market).

As "derivative or not" is an undefined legal concept, a judicious layman can build a well founded opinion about the relationship of two works himself, but the final decision in case of a lawsuit then behooves to a judge. At least from german jurisdiction I know that one can get surprises here in both directions.