• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Classic remake of 1981 Popcorn game

J

japreja

This is a remake of a game I used to play for hours as a kid. The game was originally made by "Steve Bjork" and was released on the "Tandy TRS-80 Color Computer". 5 rows of 16 popcorn pieces fall randomly from the upper area of the screen that you must catch on the paddles you control with the mouse_x movement. The game starts with 6 paddles stacked above each other, if you fail to catch a popcorn and it goes off the screen, you lose a paddle. If you catch a complete row, the game increases speed ever so gradually. As you complete the 5 rows of popcorn catching, the board is redrawn and the game speed if further increased. There is no end to the game, it just get so fast that its nearly impossible to play.

I only have the game setup and it is currently not playable yet. I have the layout and the movement of the paddles. The paddles are centered to the mouse location.

I am not familiar with the new studio version of game maker so this is a learning experience, I had originally bought a GM7 license way back in 2008 :eek: and I see a ton has changed.

My current project file Popcorn.yyz

Here is a video of the original game from 1981 (Edit: this is not my video)

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks cool! I don't think I've ever played this one, but I loved Kaboom! on Atari when I was a kid, which probably borrowed its gameplay from this. Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing your version! =)

I think you should be able to post links after posting a bit on the forums.

J

japreja

I updated the original post with a screenshot and link to the project file :)