Legacy GM does it cost more memory / GPU when placing an object far out of the room?

jobjorgos

I have rooms of mostly around 2000x2000. Object that are for a period of time not longer needed gets placed at
x = 12000;
y = 12000;
so the player of the game cant see it anymore.

Now I wonder, placing the object at
x = 3000;
y = 3000;
for example would cost less RAM / GPU than doing this?
x = 30000;
y = 30000;
Or does it make no sense?

You're simply changing the value of a variable, no different than changing x=10 to x=11.
However it should be noted that (at least in GM1.4, not sure about 2.0) even though your object is off-screen, it is still being drawn and therefore using the GPU. You need to deactivate objects that are off-screen to fully optimize a game's performance, but it is not always necessary.

jobjorgos

ah oke good to know that. I was worried that maybe when placing an object at x = 12000 y = 12000, a non visable room would be created in the empty surface out of the room or something crazy like that :p but very small influence on CPU / memory is no problem

Who knows what is going on with the fast collision system. I hear it uses some kind of space partitioning. So it stands to reason, that something goofy might happen if you have collisions or things that can have collisions at extreme distances. Obviously, I don't know what I'm talking about, but that is because we need to know more about what is going on under the hood. This is just something to wonder about, and until there is evidence that extreme distances affect collision performance, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Last edited: