• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

[SOLVED] Audio for NES clone. Anyone know a safe website?

Bentley

I'm trying to add in the music and sound effects for a Megaman3 clone. It's not really a clone of the game, it's just a clone of one level.

Anyway, I came across The Sounds Resource. I think it has the audio I need but I don't want to get a virus. Does anyone know a safe place to DL NES audio?

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Contrary to popular belief, the only files that can actually be a virus are forms of executables, with the exception being where a corrupted executable grabs "code" from somewhere else. So an audio file can't really be a virus, although technically a corrupted executable file could load "code" from an audio file if things were actually coded that way, which would be pretty complex.

I think as long as you run anti-virus software, and the website you are visiting is not brand new(or suspicious either), then you are fine. That being said, the music may or may not be legal for commercial usage, or any given usage at all. I'd think it much more likely that you find music that you can't legally use than for you to catch a virus from either the website or the music itself.

var

@kburkhart84 is mostly correct, but it's important to note that an executable does not have to be corrupted for it to be an attack vector. Some audio-related programs contain vulnerabilities that allow a malicious audio file to have negative effects. For some examples, CVE-2004-0557, CVE-2005-0611, & CVE-2005-3092 exploited vulnerabilities in reputable programs to allow execution of arbitrary code; and CVE-2014-2671 & CVE-2017-14181 did similar things to have other negative consequences. All of these only needed a "passive" file—such as a .wav—to perform malicious actions, and the first three are essentially executable files themselves (since they allowed arbitrary code execution). However, I would not be too concerned. The devs of modern software are better about eliminating security flaws, and I was unable to find a recent CVE for arbitrary code execution in audio files.

andev

the only files that can actually be a virus are forms of executables,
Microsoft word files can be malicious due to macros, which microsoft has since patched by adding a dialog asking if the user wants to trigger them. But if something as innocent as a text file can be malicious, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of other types of files having similar issues.

Bentley

Dang it, I just don't know. I want to turn this into WIP, but it needs the audio first. I'm probably being overly cautious. Oi vay

A

Agreeable

Contrary to popular belief, the only files that can actually be a virus are forms of executables, with the exception being where a corrupted executable grabs "code" from somewhere else. So an audio file can't really be a virus, although technically a corrupted executable file could load "code" from an audio file if things were actually coded that way, which would be pretty complex.

I think as long as you run anti-virus software, and the website you are visiting is not brand new(or suspicious either), then you are fine. That being said, the music may or may not be legal for commercial usage, or any given usage at all. I'd think it much more likely that you find music that you can't legally use than for you to catch a virus from either the website or the music itself.
You know that websites themselves are one big executable right? JS, Flash, QuickTime, the list goes on.

You don't even have to download anything from a malicious site. Visiting it is enough to get the job done.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
You guys are technically right. Yes, websites are indeed massive executables, and yes an executable could be not corrupted but have a security flaw. I didn't really want to get too specific in all of that, but in any case I'd say my points stand.

Bentley

I just went ahead and downloaded. Everything seems fine. I didn't get the soundtrack for the level though, dang.