• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Demo The unknown castle - Puzzle platformer

G

Guest User

News: Game is Released!
Currently making: Marketing? - Also trying to get it to other platforms too

A mysterious puzzle platformer

This is a puzzle platformer where you control 2 characters and solve puzzles in a castle.

In this game you control 2 characters, Halli-Valli (the purple thing) and Huuma-Tuuma (the white thing). You have to solve puzzles. The game has also local multiplayer option.

The idea is to lead the two characters to their own doors to exit the room.

That sentence was so good that I wanted to highlight it. :p

Some screenshots:
ss1.png
ss2.png
ss3.png
ss4.png
ss6.png

The game is now published on itch.io!
Go to the game page:
https://pikku-a.itch.io/the-unknown-castle-demo

Controls:

Controls:

In single player mode:

Move the current character with arrow keys.

Press tab to change the controlled character.

Press space to interact.

In multiplayer mode:

Move Halli-Valli with arrow keys.
Move Huuma-Tuuma with WASD.
And press space to interact (both).

Change the mode with ctrl.

You can follow the games progress on twitter: https://twitter.com/Flyinglegends_

Last edited by a moderator:
S

swonqi

Played it for a little bit. You asked for feedback so here are some thoughts:

- In general the game felt slow
- Sometimes it was confusing to control both of the characters - Have you tried using same movement controls for both of them, with a button to switch the controllable character?
- The physics seem very floaty, this could make sense since the character is a ghost.. But gameplay wise i'd try a faster falling speed : )
- There could be a tiny delay before an elevator starts moving, it feels very instant
- The stairs feel a bit awkward to walk on, i'd prefer if you'd have to hold movement keys to move on them
- The character's starting position in the level select room should be based on the level you just completed
- The zoomed-in levels are a bit annoying to play, i'm not sure what's the purpose of them
- The crystals don't reset on room restart, not sure if this is intended

- Mixed pixel sizes looks off-putting
- Also the outlines in the background are a bit too visible and it's hard on the eye to look at it. maybe change the outline color from solid black to something brighter.
- The colors are a bit boring and basic

- Dialogue texts scroll very slow
- Some of the dialogue could be fit into 1 message instead of 2
- Some grammar mistakes : )
- Font has antialiasing, and/or it's set to high quality (gms 1.4)

- The rain ambient has car sounds in the background, which feels out of place
- The death sound multiplies sometimes when taking hit (from arrows)

G

Guest User

Played it for a little bit. You asked for feedback so here are some thoughts:

- In general the game felt slow
- Sometimes it was confusing to control both of the characters - Have you tried using same movement controls for both of them, with a button to switch the controllable character?
- The physics seem very floaty, this could make sense since the character is a ghost.. But gameplay wise i'd try a faster falling speed : )
- There could be a tiny delay before an elevator starts moving, it feels very instant
- The stairs feel a bit awkward to walk on, i'd prefer if you'd have to hold movement keys to move on them
- The character's starting position in the level select room should be based on the level you just completed
- The zoomed-in levels are a bit annoying to play, i'm not sure what's the purpose of them
- The crystals don't reset on room restart, not sure if this is intended

- Mixed pixel sizes looks off-putting
- Also the outlines in the background are a bit too visible and it's hard on the eye to look at it. maybe change the outline color from solid black to something brighter.
- The colors are a bit boring and basic

- Dialogue texts scroll very slow
- Some of the dialogue could be fit into 1 message instead of 2
- Some grammar mistakes : )
- Font has antialiasing, and/or it's set to high quality (gms 1.4)

- The death sound multiplies sometimes when taking hit (from arrows)
This is just the kind of feedback that I wanted. :)

That's a good idea. It was originally intended for 2 players, but I might make a single player mode with that kind of controls. :D

:eek: I didn't even notice that! I should have listened it a bit more closely... :p

Thanks for this feedback, I will take a look to all of those things. ;)

S

swonqi

Ah right, my bad.. I didn't notice this was intended to be a 2-player game. Also I'm not 100% sure if they're cars, but they sure sound like it for me lol

G

Guest User

Hey, one thing more. About these zoomed-in levels. Do you think I should remove them completely or just make less of them? I added them just to make more "mysterious atmosphere" to some levels.

S

swonqi

I'd remove them myself, but only you know the right answer to that question. :D I didn't really get a mysterious feeling from them. You could play with the lighting system more. Maybe having dark levels could be a better way to achieve the mysterious atmosphere.

I don't even know how would you even play the zoomed in levels in multiplayer? :b

G

Guest User

New version of the demo is released!
Things that have been fixed:
- Changed the room speed from 30 to 60, so the game doesn't feel too slow anymore.
- Now it's easier to play alone, because the controls have been changed. (Different controls in single player and multiplayer).
Controls:

In single player mode:

Move the current character with arrow keys.

Press tab to change the controlled character.

Press space to interact.

In multiplayer mode:

Move Halli-Valli with arrow keys.
Move Huuma-Tuuma with WASD.
And press space to interact (both).

Change the mode with ctrl.
- Aumented gravity.
- Now the elevators wait a little bit before starting to move.
- Moving in stairs is now better.
- After completing a level the player appears in front of the level and not in the start of the room.
- Text scrolls now faster in the dialogue.
- Fixed some grammar mistakes.
- Changed the rain sound to another rain sound (The current is much better I think).

Also now it can be downloaded from gamejolt too.

G

Guest User

I have done now 18 levels in total to The Unknown Castle. Still need to do many more...

S

swonqi

Nice changes, feels much better for me now.

I quickly played some of the starting levels. There should be some feedback when you change the character imo. Also Tab was a little hard to use for me. :b

G

Guest User

Nice changes, feels much better for me now.

I quickly played some of the starting levels. There should be some feedback when you change the character imo. Also Tab was a little hard to use for me. :b
Yeah, I'm going to make some kind of lightning effect when changing the character. I noticed that tab is not very good too. I will probably change it in the next updates.

G

Guest User

Updated the demo! Things that have changed:

- Improved the dialogue system. Now it looks much better.
- Changed two odd levels to normal levels. (Found some weird bugs after doing this, they will be fixed later).
- An arrow shows what character is controlled.
- Some other small improvements.

G

Guest User

Updated the first post:
- Added a trailer! Tell your thoughts about it and if you like it, push the like button on youtube. And if you don't like it, tell me how I can improve it. (Because I will be doing many versions).
- Added new screenshots!
- Modified the text a little bit.

Also the demo has been updated:
- Modified the colors and some sprites.
- Other small fixes.

G

Guest User

The progress of the look of my game. The first image is from 2015 and the second is from now. I think my art skills have improved...
:cool:Level up! :cool:

before2.png after2.png

G

Guest User

Updated the demo! New things:
  • Mouse control in the menu. (It has some cons, so I'm not sure if I'll fix it or remove it).
  • Added backgrounds for the menu, settings and credits.
  • Updated the credits.
  • Other small improvements.

More traps!

I like this screenshot as indicated by my like, but I enjoy the movement. Makes it all seem more alive than other similar games. You're on the right track. Here's a question... can you hop on top of the spike traps and ride them up? With the shaking walls its obvious they're breakable or something. What about making it more subtle like when the player is near them, then they shake or they shake every once a second?

B

Better Nature

I just played the demo. I like the concept. switching between characters is quick and seamless, and I had no complaints about the controls while I was playing.

One thing that I noticed is that the difficulty curve is almost completely flat. The puzzles start simple (which is good), but never ramp up in difficulty. Yes, the number of steps you have to take to finish a room increases, but I never got stumped even for a moment. I was kind of bored after the first few rooms. I'd suggest focusing more on ensuring that each room presents a novel challenge. Add more mechanics that require the two characters to work together. You've got a good concept, but you'll lose the player very quickly if the puzzles aren't challenging and engaging.

One more thing. On the first level that has the projectiles that shoot out of the wall, I think it's a bad idea to have the player characters spawn in the line of fire. I'd change that. As a general rule the player should never start a level in immediate jeopardy, before they have a chance to process what's going on.

I look forward to seeing how this develops.

(Edit: fixed a typo)

G

Guest User

I like this screenshot as indicated by my like, but I enjoy the movement. Makes it all seem more alive than other similar games. You're on the right track.
Thanks! Glad to hear that. :)
Here's a question... can you hop on top of the spike traps and ride them up?
No. But that sounds like something that I could add to the game.
With the shaking walls its obvious they're breakable or something. What about making it more subtle like when the player is near them, then they shake or they shake every once a second?
Good idea! I will make that.

One thing that I noticed is that the difficulty curve is almost completely flat. The puzzles start simple (which is good), but never ramp up in difficulty. Yes, the number of steps you have to take to finish a room increases, but I never got stumped even for a moment. I was kind of board after the first few rooms. I'd suggest focusing more on ensuring that each room presents a novel challenge. Add more mechanics that require the two characters to work together. You've got a good concept, but you'll lose the player very quickly if the puzzles aren't challenging and engaging.
That's what I have feared... I have struggled with that problem. For me it's difficult to design the levels.
One more thing. On the first level that has the projectiles that shoot out of the wall, I think it's a bad idea to have the player characters spawn in the line of fire. I'd change that. As a general rule the player should never start a level in immediate jeopardy, before they have a chance to process what's going on.
Yeah, I'll do something to this.

Thanks for the feedback!

B

Better Nature

There's a lot of great content on YouTube about puzzle/level design. One example that you could check out is Mark Brown's "Game Maker's Toolkit." I recommend you start with the episode titled "What Makes a Good Puzzle?" His work and others has really helped me wrap my head around game design in general (not to imply that I'm an expert or anything, just pointing out things that I've found helpful).

G

Guest User

There's a lot of great content on YouTube about puzzle/level design. One example that you could check out is Mark Brown's "Game Maker's Toolkit." I recommend you start with the episode titled "What Makes a Good Puzzle?" His work and others has really helped me wrap my head around game design in general (not to imply that I'm an expert or anything, just pointing out things that I've found helpful).
Thanks for the suggestion, I will check it out.

G

Guest User

Now the destroyable walls shake only when the player is near them. I will update the demo when I have improved some of the first puzzles.

G

Guest User

I updated some of the first puzzles of the game, especially levels 6 and 8. They were too easy, so I tried to make them harder. Did I succeed? Try the demo and tell your opinion!

Also fixed this:

B

Better Nature

I think the level design has improved. The puzzles still feel a little too procedural. There's never any point where the solution isn't obvious, or where it doesn't becomes obvious simply by flipping all the switches in the room. As a result, I still feel like I'm just going through the motions to get to the next level.

A couple of things that might help:
- Keep the two player characters separated more often so that there are parts of the level that only one or the other can reach.
- Give each character unique abilities so that each one can't do everything that the other can.
- Add more elements that require both characters to work together to overcome. For example: maybe a door requires two switches in two different locations to be pressed at the same time. Or maybe there's a switch that will raise a platform, but if the player walks away from the switch, the platform lowers.
- Make flipping the switches do positive and negative things at the same time. What I mean by this is that maybe the switch will open a door that will allow the player to get something they need, but at the same time it also blocks the player off from something else. The puzzle then becomes figuring out how to position the characters so that they can get both things.

So that's just a bit of a brain storm. Keep it up!

G

Guest User

I think the level design has improved. The puzzles still feel a little too procedural. There's never any point where the solution isn't obvious, or where it doesn't becomes obvious simply by flipping all the switches in the room. As a result, I still feel like I'm just going through the motions to get to the next level.

A couple of things that might help:
- Keep the two player characters separated more often so that there are parts of the level that only one or the other can reach.
- Give each character unique abilities so that each one can't do everything that the other can.
- Add more elements that require both characters to work together to overcome. For example: maybe a door requires two switches in two different locations to be pressed at the same time. Or maybe there's a switch that will raise a platform, but if the player walks away from the switch, the platform lowers.
- Make flipping the switches do positive and negative things at the same time. What I mean by this is that maybe the switch will open a door that will allow the player to get something they need, but at the same time it also blocks the player off from something else. The puzzle then becomes figuring out how to position the characters so that they can get both things.

So that's just a bit of a brain storm. Keep it up!
Thanks. Those are some really good tips. ;) I'll try to redesign some puzzles with the help of those. If I still can't make them good, I'll just ask someone other to do the level design for me.

G

Guest User

I think I made some levels much better. I will update the demo on monday (probably).

B

Better Nature

This was a big improvement. I look forward to seeing more.

I noticed a bug. If you take an elevator up to a door that is blocking your path, you'll teleport up to the top of the door, meaning you can bypass that element of the puzzle.

G

Guest User

Demo has received an update.

There was this bug: "If you take an elevator up to a door that is blocking your path, you'll teleport up to the top of the door, meaning you can bypass that element of the puzzle."

It's now fixed. And it was easier to fix than I thought.

G

Guest User

It's been a long time since I updated this. The game has been ready for a long time, I just haven't published it. I had problems deciding how and where to publish it. But now I decided I will just publish it on itch.io and gamejolt for now... and then think about other possibilities. I'll publish it... let's say... next week... on friday? Ok.

Also, updated the itch.io game page. I think that was a big improvement: https://pikku-a.itch.io/the-unknown-castle-demo