• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker Moar physics questions

JAG

Hi there I am trying to understand how in my game I can use the sweet sweet Box2D physics only for effects (for instance the cosmetic bits of a cool explosion).

What I was is for all my characters and weapons and walls etc to interact with each other as they do now, by running code inside the collision events, but be able to make some physics objects that operate within the physics world.

When I turned on physics in my room I expected my non-physics objects to behave the same as they had been, however all their collision events stopped working completely. Do I need to extract all my collision logic into custom scripts that run based on place_meeting in the Step event? That can't be the right way to do this! When using the physics system how do you even handle something simple like "when the bullet hits the character the character enters the dying state?"

Any info or suggestions would be very welcome!

M

maratae

Hi there I am trying to understand how in my game I can use the sweet sweet Box2D physics only for effects (for instance the cosmetic bits of a cool explosion).

What I was is for all my characters and weapons and walls etc to interact with each other as they do now, by running code inside the collision events, but be able to make some physics objects that operate within the physics world.

When I turned on physics in my room I expected my non-physics objects to behave the same as they had been, however all their collision events stopped working completely. Do I need to extract all my collision logic into custom scripts that run based on place_meeting in the Step event? That can't be the right way to do this! When using the physics system how do you even handle something simple like "when the bullet hits the character the character enters the dying state?"

Any info or suggestions would be very welcome!
Afaik you either use the built it physics or you don't. I don't think you can mix and match.