• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Multiple developers on same project

J

JonkkuSa

I want to start a new project with my friend. Is there a way to have multiple developers on the same project? I am mostly looking for real-time editing.

I tried to look for other posts / tutorials but could't find any... :/

I think I could have the project files on Dropbox and edit it when nobody else is not.
Thanks for helping :)

M

MarceloP

I really recommend that you guys learn how to use Version Control.

I, personally, like to use Git. I also recommend you to read all about git, because as a first experience it can be a bit tricky. In addition, you can either use Git through command line (on Linux or Windows using Git-Bash) or even use any nice GUI for Git (in this case I recommend GitKraken).

To finish this non-ending link post, I also recommend you to use GitHub (for open source projects) and GitLab (for private projects) as repositories.

Explaining a bit why not using Dropbox or any other workaround: Coding and working with code almost always leads to code collisions, which is, you and your friend may edit the same script or object and Dropbox or any other "sharing program" will not try to avoid collisions in any case. Therefore, you do need to ensure code consistency and changes. Version Control also updates only the changes that happened, lowing the data transferred.

I really hope I have given you the right track with all this links and information. This will probably be useful forever for you when programming any other thing :)

J

JonkkuSa

I really recommend that you guys learn how to use Version Control.

I, personally, like to use Git. I also recommend you to read all about git, because as a first experience it can be a bit tricky. In addition, you can either use Git through command line (on Linux or Windows using Git-Bash) or even use any nice GUI for Git (in this case I recommend GitKraken).

To finish this non-ending link post, I also recommend you to use GitHub (for open source projects) and GitLab (for private projects) as repositories.

Explaining a bit why not using Dropbox or any other workaround: Coding and working with code almost always leads to code collisions, which is, you and your friend may edit the same script or object and Dropbox or any other "sharing program" will not try to avoid collisions in any case. Therefore, you do need to ensure code consistency and changes. Version Control also updates only the changes that happened, lowing the data transferred.

I really hope I have given you the right track with all this links and information. This will probably be useful forever for you when programming any other thing :)
Thank you for the fast answer! I'll look into that.

Dog Slobber

More people really need to take advantage of Version Control.

Even if they are not on a team.

I'm not on a team, here are some of the benefits:
  • Automatically gives cloud backups
  • Allows for easy roll-backs
  • Documents changes
  • Allows for easy compiling and running on my Mac and PC

O

Outseidr

anyone got a tutorial to set up a github or gitlab available?

hogwater

Are there any problems with GMS2 and using source control as a solo developer? From what I've read in these threads only teams of 2 and above need to be concerned, but you guys are still freaking me out about using it.

Mick

Are there any problems with GMS2 and using source control as a solo developer? From what I've read in these threads only teams of 2 and above need to be concerned, but you guys are still freaking me out about using it.
As long as you don't create branches, you should be ok. You can't branch directly from the IDE anyway if you are using the built in version control. The resources in room files are stored on one text line each in later versions of GMS2, this removes the main source of conflicts when using version control solo.

The-any-Key

I would recommend use bitbucket and sourcetree. And not use the built in source control in GM itself if you plan to work in a team.
You need to be able to rebase and branch when you are on a team.