• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Asset - Extension Heyzap Mediation Ads Extension (UnityAds, Chartboost, Adcolony, Applovin, Vungle, Admob, Tapjoy etc)

There is one more issue with rewarded video ads. When i load them, it badly lags the gameplay. For example there is a room in my game where people can earn money by watching rewarded video ads and i start loading rewarded video ads when that room starts. But when we exit that room it still keeps loading the rewarded video ads automatically again and again as if the Load button has been pressed forever and thus disturbs the game play experience by lagging. Is there any way to stop them from loading automatically and hanging the gameplay? This gets worse when the internet connection is poor.

silengames

Unfortunately this is the problem of all networks witch load a video or HTML5 ads. It affect mostly on old devices. Your device is pretty old.

I just can advice to load rewarded ads after game over or in main menu or switch it off for super old devices (Android < 4.4). I know that HeyZap works on methods to forsly stop loading of ads, But it is still in Beta status and not worked well (it is even not documented in official docs). I will add those methods to extension when it will be officially released.

Just for info: most people with old devices are not a paying audience for advertiser and networks show cheapest ads only, so you do earn almost nothing with such kind of players.

Last edited:

RyanC

I think I maybe experiencing an issue with this extension! One of my testers has reported the game size expanding every session. The game started at 175MB and now it is 750MB.

After running a few tests I found that the cache only increases when the device is connected to the internet.

Does Heyzap continue caching ads without limit?

edit: I've just found the folder that's increasing by around 4MB per game-session, it's UnityAdsCache.

Last edited:

silengames

You are right, the cache is not cleaned by HeyZap SDK. If you load new ad - it placed to cache and exist here till manually deleting. There is no solution from SDK side. You can try to contact [email protected] , but we have already done it before, but without success. Actually as far as I know separate UnityAds SDK do not clean cache too.

silengames

NEW UPDATE v3.1 RELEASED. All SDK was updated.
Two new functions was added:
  • HeyZap_PauseExpensiveWork() - you can pause HeyZap service to prevent lags on old devices during active gameplay phase. Ads can not be loaded from internet after this. On iOS ads even can not be showed. This function is in BETA status, so use it on you own risk.
  • HeyZap_ResumeExpensiveWork() - resume HeyZap service after stop.
Please share your experience of using this functions.

RyanC

NEW UPDATE v3.1 RELEASED. All SDK was updated.
  • HeyZap_PauseExpensiveWork() - you can pause HeyZap service to prevent lags on old devices during active gameplay phase. Ads can not be loaded from internet after this. On iOS ads even can not be showed. This function is in BETA status, so use it on you own risk.
Please share your experience of using this functions.
I was just considering what to do about this. I had an idea of only loading static interstitial ads instead of videos if android version is <= 4.4.4 KitKat. Maybe it will reduce the lag?

silengames

Good idea. You also should forbid to show blended video in interstitials (HeyZap dashboard -> Select an App -> Publisher Settings).

RyanC

Good idea. You also should forbid to show blended video in interstitials (HeyZap dashboard -> Select an App -> Publisher Settings).
I'm not sure I understand this very well. HeyZap mentions turning off blended video will disable certain ad networks altogether, is there anyway of disabling video just for KitKat?

Just out of interest, does anyone know why these devices are lagging, would it be RAM or CPU?

Last edited:

silengames

HeyZap_ShowInterstitial can display videos. If you disable "blended video" - this function will show static (image) ads only.

Perhaps lagging occurs during writing ad in phone storage. I can see the same behaviour while update apps on old phones on high internet speed. Maybe it is depends on memory writing speed.

A

Alex-DevArt

Hi I have a question ^^ does it work with gamemaker studio 2 ?

RizbIT

is it possible to use heyzap without admob integration/sync ? Also has anyone whos uses heyzap got screenshots to show cpc and ecpm or can you give figures here.

silengames

Admob is not required. But all ad networks for Android require Google Play Services.

ecpm totally depends on geography and traffic quality. It is also unique for each network, it is not clear what information you are trying to get.

sman

Hi, I'm about to buy this extension and I already have a question:
"HeyZap is selecting most expensive offers from all available networks"
=> so it's best to select all networks or should I avoid some of them?

F

Flappy Dappy Games

@silengames I've purchased the HeyZap extension and have a question for you. I've set up a HeyZap account and admob for testing and have gone through all the basic steps of setting things up. I can export the apk and upload it to google play and when I do the test feedback pops up in the beginning of the game. This leads me to my current problem which I will use three photos to demonstrate.

You can see that HeyZap seems to be working fine but the Admob connection is off with an issue of Network Not Enabled. Do you know why this is and why the network is enabled for HeyZap but not Admob?

Thanks for your time.

sman

Thanks.
I've tried to configure AdColony and I don't know
- if I should "Enable Ad Skipping After X Seconds" (nor what value to choose for X),
- what ad types allow in my app.
Do you now where I can find advice for this? Is there a guide for noobs like me?

Last edited:

silengames

@silengames I've purchased the HeyZap extension and have a question for you. I've set up a HeyZap account and admob for testing and have gone through all the basic steps of setting things up. I can export the apk and upload it to google play and when I do the test feedback pops up in the beginning of the game. This leads me to my current problem which I will use three photos to demonstrate.

You can see that HeyZap seems to be working fine but the Admob connection is off with an issue of Network Not Enabled. Do you know why this is and why the network is enabled for HeyZap but not Admob?

Thanks for your time.
This can happen if you do not enable Admob in HeyZap Dashboard.
Also HeyZap ads always enabled by default.

silengames

Thanks.
I've tried to configure AdColony and I don't know
- if I should "Enable Ad Skipping After X Seconds" (nor what value to choose for X),
You can set any value you want.

- what ad types allow in my app.
In "Test Mediation Suite" mode you can select AdColony and see what ad types allow from this network.

-Do you now where I can find advice for this? Is there a guide for noobs like me?
Try to check heyzap.com perhaps you will find something helpful.

F

Flappy Dappy Games

This can happen if you do not enable Admob in HeyZap Dashboard.
Also HeyZap ads always enabled by default.
Okay, well I've gone through the integration wizard a couple of times and added admob, how else do I "enable Admob" do I need to create a campaign? My apologies for my confusion.

Edit: In the mediation settings I've found the option for toggling the status to on, however when I try to do this it doesn't toggle to on it just says pending for a split second and then says off again.

Double Edit: So it looks like it won't toggle over because it is saying that I need to "Please provide all required information in order to enable this network.".
I've provided everything except for a Native Ad Unit Id, are those required? My Admob doesn't have those and I toggled it off in the options for admod anyhow.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Flappy Dappy Games

@silengames Thanks for your help. It turns out the publisher id was wrong and when I replaced that I was able to toggle the admob status to on. Now the game loads admob ads :)

sman

That's it ! I bought the extension.
I would now like to test it. For that, do I absolutely have to use the test mode? If so, what is a Mediation Test Suite, and how do I use it?

U

Ulcius

Bought the extension cause i saw 'Tapjoy' in a thread's title, but appearently it's not supported anymore?
@silengames Is there still a way to integrate Tapjoy SDK with this extension or did I just wasted quite a lot of money? (Well I guess it may be of use in future, but right now Tapjoy SDK i the only thing I needed)

sman

Oh, I've finally understood the demo can be launched with room_start(room0).
I would have understood it earlier if all demo associated files of the extension had the prefix "demo_" and if the way to launch the demo was explained in the documentation.

silengames

Ulcius, Tapjoy is not supported by HeyZap SDK anymore. This thread was created long time ago. It is better to check info in Marketplace ;)

sman, ;)

RyanC

Think I've finally found an answer to prevent caching so many ads. I've spoken with Unity Ads, and the issue is definitely the old unity ads SDK that's integrated with this extension. (unity ads SDK V2.1.1)
The new one can be downloaded here
I know this is going to save users wondering why the cache grows to gigabytes in a matter of weeks, and giving bad reviews.

If anyone can tell me how to update this in my project, I'll be most grateful?

Last edited:

silengames

I have never see such issue. If you use portrait orientation but ads in landscape mode it is ok.
What platform? What kind of orientation do you use?

sman

I have never see such issue. If you use portrait orientation but ads in landscape mode it is ok.
What platform? What kind of orientation do you use?
Landscape, Android.
It's not only the ad that is upside down: it's the whole operating system. And just during the ad.
Oh! And sometimes, after an ad in portrait mode, my game stays in portrait and it's impossible to come back in landscape, yet it's an only landscape game :(

silengames

what's new in version: 3.1.0 ?
All SDK was updated.
Landscape, Android.
It's not only the ad that is upside down: it's the whole operating system. And just during the ad.
Oh! And sometimes, after an ad in portrait mode, my game stays in portrait and it's impossible to come back in landscape, yet it's an only landscape game :(
Unfortunately I haven't any experience in landscape games. All my games in portrait orientation.
What can you try to do:
1. Use HeyZap_GMBugFix (read docs for more info)
2. If you use both landscape modes (flipped and non-flipped), try to use only one. But if you use only one - try to use both.

sman

HeyZap_GMBugFix seems to change nothing.

In GM, my game orientation is landscape + flipped landscape.
I realize my tests were in flipped landscape. When I test in landscape I don't have upside down ads, but I have 16/9 video ads showing in portrait mode (with big black bars above and under). The same videos were played in landscape before.
What can I do to play ads in landscape orientation?

silengames

GMS 1.4 or 2?
Have you tried to check landscape orientation only in GGS? Check "landscape" and uncheck "landscape flipped".

>>I have 16/9 video ads showing in portrait mode (with big black bars above and under). The same videos were played in landscape before.
It is absolutelly okay. Sometimes I can see landscape ads in portrait mode. If you do not like it you can disable networks which shown portrait ads in landscape mode.

sman

GMS 2.
Yes, I tried to check landscape orientation only in GMS. But the result is the same as checking also "landscape flipped" and not using it.

silengames

So, currently the problem is that after an ad in portrait mode, you game stays in portrait and it's impossible to come back in landscape, correct? Try to check which network has such ad and disable it (or update lib with this network, perhaps this bug was fixed in new lib). Unfortunatelly I can not control how ad is showing up from extension side. I just call method to show ads from HeyZap SDK.

Hello, @silengames I'm Trying to Add AdMob Reward Ad on my game Via your provided HeyZap Extension! In Test Mode When I Fetch Video It shows "Rejected by Segmentation"! Please Guide to remove this problem! Thanks

D

djrain

"Warning! Some ads return "*_shown" callback after the closure of ads. Do not use this callback for important events."

Can you elaborate on this? I need to determine if an ad was shown or not.

D

djrain

Also, I'm having an issue... when an interstitial ad is loaded, but then internet connection is lost, trying to show the ad then results in the ad_shown callback being triggered, but the ad doesn't actually show (which sounds like a bug to me). Right when the callback happens, Heyzap_InterstitialStatus() returns false very briefly but then goes right back to true.

My game is setup so that gameplay won't proceed until either it knows an ad can't be shown, or until the ad has been closed. But in this situation, it doesn't seem possible to detect either case.

silengames

"Warning! Some ads return "*_shown" callback after the closure of ads. Do not use this callback for important events."

Can you elaborate on this? I need to determine if an ad was shown or not.
It can be on Android. When ad is shown the Gamemaker runner is stopped. So if event was triggered before ad shown - you will receive "_shown" callback. if not, you will receive this callback after closure of ad. Different networks work different, so it is better to check this callback with networks you use.

Also, I'm having an issue... when an interstitial ad is loaded, but then internet connection is lost, trying to show the ad then results in the ad_shown callback being triggered, but the ad doesn't actually show (which sounds like a bug to me). Right when the callback happens, Heyzap_InterstitialStatus() returns false very briefly but then goes right back to true.
Before showing ad try to check internet connection. Some ads are fully loaded to device memory, some ads (video) are streamed from internet.
"ad_shown" callback has 2 values: 1 - shown and 0 - not shown. You can use "not shown" event to continue gameplay.

My game is setup so that gameplay won't proceed until either it knows an ad can't be shown, or until the ad has been closed. But in this situation, it doesn't seem possible to detect either case.
It is bad experience. For Android you do not need to stop gameplay and even music, coz Gamemaker runner stops automatically. On iOS you just need to stop music.