• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Vertex Point Size limit

hamdrax24

When rendering a 3d model as a pointlist the size of the points are limited to a maximum of 250. Is there a way i could remove this limit?

Simon Gust

I remember mike saying that primitives are deprecated.
I assume that you are using the d3d_primitive_begin() and d3d_primitive_end() method.

You should use a vertex buffer in that case.

Simon Gust

vertex buffers do have a size limit. What do you mean by Vertex Point Size limit?
The amount of vertices? Or the size of data you put into it?
The more bloated your vertex format is, the less points you will be able to store,
but 250 does seem unreasonable.

hamdrax24

I don't mean the vertex buffer size. If you draw a vertex buffer but set the primitive type to pr_pointlist the individual vertex appear as point though they are very hard to see. It is possible to scale the size using a shader but the largest it would go is 250

E

elementbound

Last time I checked, the maximum point size was tied to a hardware limit.
Alternatively, you could try expanding your points to rectangles and putting some texture on them.

Simon Gust

You can try changing the matrix before submitting the vertex buffer instead of using a shader though I doubt it would make a difference.

lolslayer

I know your problem, there are hardware limits to this. You'll Always hit a limit here that you can't bypass, you'll have to live with this sadly

hamdrax24

I was just reading the directx9 article and i found out that the maximum size is actually set in the directxAPI.