• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Android game_end() does not work any more !

M

mootaz azaiez

Hi , the game_end() does not work anymore on android ( game_end event too ) after the new gamemaker 1.4 update ! please help !

RangerX

But you made a thread about the function "game_end()" and not the Game End event. No Wonder why people are telling you about the function...

And since the function doesn't work in mobile, I wouldn't be surprised the event doesn't either. If the function is not allowed, how would you want the event to happe? It can't!

M

mootaz azaiez

But you made a thread about the function "game_end()" and not the Game End event. No Wonder why people are telling you about the function...

And since the function doesn't work in mobile, I wouldn't be surprised the event doesn't either. If the function is not allowed, how would you want the event to happe? It can't!
do you have any solutions so i can delete the unnecessary files when closing the game ?

I

icuurd12b42

Use the room end event, that's what I did for level saving. It worked on android last I tried 2 years ago.

You can also use the game start and see if the old files are there from the previous run... and delte them... or you could reuse the same files all the time... overwrite them.

M

mootaz azaiez

Use the room end event, that's what I did for level saving. It worked on android last I tried 2 years ago.

You can also use the game start and see if the old files are there from the previous run... and delte them... or you could reuse the same files all the time... overwrite them.
thanks mr icuurd for the idea but I need to delete those files only when the user completly finish playing the game ! so it cant be on room_end event ..

I

icuurd12b42

well you cant use the game end event. and it's always been the case this only works in windows. I found out the hard way 2.5 years ago. In my case it was for saving progress so the room end event worked for me... though right now I'm trying to figure out if it really did, because if the reason for the game end event not working is true, then how would I got a room end event, because in theory, for the reason given, that event also should not trigger either

M

mootaz azaiez

well you cant use the game end event. and it's always been the case this only works in windows. I found out the hard way 2.5 years ago. In my case it was for saving progress so the room end event worked for me... though right now I'm trying to figure out if it really did, because if the reason for the game end event not working is true, then how would I got a room end event, because in theory, for the reason given, that event also should not trigger either
i found a solution ! i can use the Game_paused function to delete the uncesecery files in the steps event !

zbox

GMC Elder
i found a solution ! i can use the Game_paused function to delete the uncesecery files in the steps event !
Don't want to presume but I sense this may be a form of micromanaging files that the user does not care about anyway, can't you just delete them by the app as required and if the app is closed, get them next time? Rather than freeing them once the game finishes, look at it the other way around - is there a reason to free them post-close?

That is unless your product generates gigabytes of temporary files, obviously, etc.

M

mootaz azaiez

Don't want to presume but I sense this may be a form of micromanaging files that the user does not care about anyway, can't you just delete them by the app as required and if the app is closed, get them next time? Rather than freeing them once the game finishes, look at it the other way around - is there a reason to free them post-close?

That is unless your product generates gigabytes of temporary files, obviously, etc.
my app uses .ogg files to play sounds , it extracts them from a .zip file at the start of the game , and it has to delete them at the end of the game so the user will not found the .ogg sounds in hi music library !

zbox

GMC Elder
But couldn't they just find the zip file and extract that anyway :p?

If someone was really wanting to get your music anyway, they could just read it from the memory while your game is loaded. I personally would suggest not worrying about it :) Up to you

M

mootaz azaiez

But couldn't they just find the zip file and extract that anyway :p?

If someone was really wanting to get your music anyway, they could just read it from the memory while your game is loaded. I personally would suggest not worrying about it :) Up to you
i dont care if they find the sounds or not , but it will bother them if they dont want to find this sounds in the music apps and librarys with their musics

zbox

GMC Elder
Afaik they won't? When you compile the game the save directory is not easily accessible to the end user. When using the runner it is but that is so you can test it easily