• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

OFFICIAL GMS2 Version 2.1.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for fixing the Shift + Ctrl + Home/End stuff! Feels great!

Btw is there any particular reason why the event names now have a dash at the end?
If you go to your Preferences and the Object Editor you can un-check the Description box and it'll get rid of the dash, that's just there for if you put in a description

H

henshin1

I'm experiencing problems as well. After downloading the new patch, each time i shoot an enemy I get a fatal error when the bullet collides with the enemy object

G

I'm seeing white-screen hanging on startup. I'm having random crashes as well.

I'm also seeing intense resource-gobbling. GMS2 will take 90% of CPU. I think that using GMS2 in online rather than offline mode causes chugging, although I'll need to properly test it more. I had this issue with the previous version---and it began in the last few weeks---but not to such a bad degree (50% of CPU rather than 90%). When this happens, it's causing lag that makes GMS2 very difficult to use. It's intermittent, not a constant problem.

I know that YYG indulges in modifying our local files even between updates, for example with their advertisement carousel. YYG's silent use of network connections (which are established connections, not just a quick connectivity check) shows that YYG is doing something unnecessary, without consent. I wonder if anything like that has been done in the last few weeks to cause the performance decrease.

Finally, I can't be the only one with an autocompletion bug for global variables? Make a new project, add an object, add a line to the create event creating a global variable, save the project, then hit enter a few times and start typing the global variable name; for me, autocompletion pops up suggesting global.myvariable but, on selection, fills in global.global.myvariable. Anyone else?

@rmanthorp This global autocompletion thing is unusable for me. I can use @YellowAfterlife's code editor, and all praise to him for providing an alternative. But is there a way to roll back the IDE?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bentley

Just a heads up about collisions post-patch, I noticed some of my collision masks inside of the sprite window got shifted, this might be what is causing some of your guy's issues. I was pulling my hair out wondering why after this update I couldn't hit/collide with my enemies only to realise the mask had moved up-left by about 64 pixels.
WOW, thanks for posting this. I was wondering why the collision wasn't working. I checked the sprite and the collision mask got shifted as you said.

Last edited:

hdarren

I have had the resource hogging bug in the previous version. Sometimes after compiling the CPU stays high, between 50% and 90%. I then have to close GM and restart GM to fix it until it happens again. I have noticed that with GM open my CPU is usually around at a constant 10%-20% despite me not doing anything. If I minimise GM then it falls to around 2%-4%. What is GM still doing even when I'm not doing anything???

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
(snip)
The physics collision issues will be investigated soon. Sorry about those.
Glad to hear this. Although it's hard to imagine how this was missed during your regression testing. Collisions aren't an "obscure feature". (Just a friendly jab... ;) )

Note: Collisions with physics groups still work fine. Use physics_fixture_set_collision_group(fixture, group), rather than collision events.

G

Here's a .gif showing the autocomplete bug; I'll submit a bug report linking to this.

gms2 autocomplete bug.gif

Ruimm

everything seems to be working fine here (I'm on a 13"MBP running High Sierra).
Just tested with my project and got collisions working as expected. Also I'm really happy about the Resource Tree improvements and that show_debug_message is working again!! :D

G

One more bug: I know GMS2 creates a Z: when running a program, but now the Z: does not disappear. This is new for me.

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
WOW, thanks for posting this. I was wondering why the collision wasn't working. I checked the sprite and the collision mask got shifted as you said.

Edit: when you check "precise per frame", are you also able to give each frame a manual bounding box? I thought that's how I had it before. Now it won't let me. But maybe I'm wrong, and you could never do it that way?

It's not make or break for me, I'm just curious. Being able to have a manual collision mask for each frame was nice.
We identified, and are working on fixing the collision issue - it was due to odd behaviour with fast collisions and physics collisions interacting... In terms of the collision mask shifting - That's not something we are aware of... If you could submit and issue for this and we can take a look https://accounts.yoyogames.com/report-bug Thanks.

bsabiston

I only installed GMS 2 yesterday so I don't know if it is a "new" thing, but I have trouble starting it from Windows. I click the icon and it just doesn't do anything. It doesn't launch, doesn't show errors. Eventually, after trying six or seven times, for some reason it starts right up. It's done that both yesterday and today when I go to launch it.

T

Thijmen Langendam

Not sure if this is the proper place to ask things like these, but is there a way to edit keybinds? Currently commenting code is CTRL+K, and uncommenting is CTRL+SHIFT+K but i'm used to the CTRL+/ for both the comment and uncomment. Is this possible?

G

Not sure if this is the proper place to ask things like these, but is there a way to edit keybinds? Currently commenting code is CTRL+K, and uncommenting is CTRL+SHIFT+K but i'm used to the CTRL+/ for both the comment and uncomment. Is this possible?
This probably isn't the right place, but the manual's list of shortcuts includes CTRL+SHIFT+K as "Redefine keys." It does not do that; in the code editor, it uncomments, as you say, and outside the code editor, it does nothing. But maybe it's planned for the future.

T

Teilzeitgott

Wow, what a nice update. I had to rename all my helping boolean variables (I called them bool), but the starting time went from 40 sec to 5 sec and my in-game fps went from Avg 900 to Avg 2700.

DukeSoft

Looks like the fix "Fixed issues with startup sequence when launching a Steam game outside of the Steam client" broke the game being able to run without steam alltogether. If I run this binary on a machine that has no Steam, Windows is popping up with a message "You need an app to open this: steam".

I'm guessing you introduced some fancy steam:// protocol method thingie? It doesn't work for clients that don't have steam installed..

Carbon

Yeah. Click the "runtime release notes" link in the OP. I would recommend YYG include a link to the runtime notes at the top of the the IDE notes webpage and vice versa.

Autocomplete now completes global variables incorrectly. Typing out a global variable and hitting enter to accept results in global.global.myvariable rather than global.myvariable.
+++++. Please fix this, it's quite annoying.

S

Siracher

We identified, and are working on fixing the collision issue - it was due to odd behaviour with fast collisions and physics collisions interacting... In terms of the collision mask shifting - That's not something we are aware of... If you could submit and issue for this and we can take a look https://accounts.yoyogames.com/report-bug Thanks.
great to hear that, hope you can fix it soon. currently I can't export anymore to the latest iOS version using the previous runtime, with version 2.1.4.200 it works but with the collission bug the game is not worth uploading to the store :oops:

Kentae

I'm not sure if this shoud go here but it seems to be the best place for it.

I'm having an issue installing GMS 2.1.4. (The trial version that is)
I wanted to test it a bit before deciding whether to get the full version or not but all I get when I try to install is this error.
Error.png

Anyone else have this issue? Or know how to fix it?

I'm running Windows 7, might that be the issue?

Please move this post if it belongs elsewhere ^^

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I strongly dislike being forced to update. Especially when I don't know whether an update will break something important I've been relying on...

Dog Slobber

I'm not sure if this shoud go here but it seems to be the best place for it.

I'm having an issue installing GMS 2.1.4. (The trial version that is)
I wanted to test it a bit before deciding whether to get the full version or not but all I get when I try to install is this error.
View attachment 17502

Anyone else have this issue? Or know how to fix it?

I'm running Windows 7, might that be the issue?

Please move this post if it belongs elsewhere ^^
Try downloading it again.
Try downloading it with a different browser.
Try downloading it from the Release Notes page. (Version 2.1.4.285 Download)

Kentae

Try downloading it again.
Try downloading it with a different browser.
Try downloading it from the Release Notes page. (Version 2.1.4.285 Download)
I tried all of them but to no help, I still get the same error.
Except dor the third option where the downloaded file simply couldn't be run because I don't have the software needed to run it.

BarrowBloke

In this update, I notice a distortion of the sound. Especially audible at high frequencies and on the Android device. In the sounds (especially at high frequencies) there was hoarseness.
This problem was described in the latest update of 1.4 >>>
Now I hear it here.
I also heard audio distortion on the MOD player extension when using the new runtime.
Using runtime version 2.1.3.189 solved the audio problems.

jonjons

my instalation is stoped at ( installing runtime 2.1.4.200 )
Its been like this for about 4 hours, i always end up closing gm and restarting again.
is it a problem of the installer or an internet speed / connection ?

I think if my internet connection fails and then reconnect the updater doesnt resume the instalation ?

TheSpydog

Its been like this for about 4 hours, i always end up closing gm and restarting again.
I had the same issue. I think you do need to be connected to a decent, stable wifi connection for the installation.

jonjons

I had the same issue. I think you do need to be connected to a decent, stable wifi connection for the installation.
yep, ive using a max 350 k/s public net ever since i run away from parents house, it keeps disconnecting.
but installation worked all of the sudden the top right corner progress bar went from about 20% to 100%

T

Tyler

Hi, I currently have version 2.1.3.273 of Game Maker Studio (GMS) 2 on Windows. When I open the software, I am unable to access my project and instead get the window pictured below:

New Version.PNG

Every time I click on the download link, the new version starts downloading for about a minute or two and then this error appears:

Network error.PNG

I have tried doing this four times and each time I get the same error even though I maintained a connection to the internet. Because of this update, I am unable to use GMS 2 at all. Do I have to uninstall GMS 2 just to reinstall it with the update? And if so, will I have to repurchase the software? What will happen to my project? Someone please help.

TheSpydog

Do I have to uninstall GMS 2 just to reinstall it with the update? And if so, will I have to repurchase the software? What will happen to my project? Someone please help.
You shouldn't have to uninstall it to install the update, but there's no harm in doing so. You definitely do not have to repurchase the software, but you may have to put in your license key again. And all of your projects should remain where they are, undisturbed. ;) (But you can always back them up or move them to another place on your computer to be safe!)

All that said, it seems like the issue isn't with your installation of GameMaker but rather something to do with your internet connection or possibly YYG's servers.

Andrey

I also heard audio distortion on the MOD player extension when using the new runtime.
Using runtime version 2.1.3.189 solved the audio problems.
Yes, but I was waiting for this assembly, because of the redesigned function game_end()
Now there is a distortion of sound. One thing was done, the other was broken.

breakmt

I think if my internet connection fails and then reconnect the updater doesnt resume the instalation ?
I had the same issue. And I have good internet speed and connection, so I don't think it can be the reason.
After 5-6 minutes of first IDE launch I realized that "runtime installation" is stuck, I restarted IDE and waited about 3-4 minutes and than it was ok.

Smiter

The IDE is crashing on startup. It crashed every time during checking RSS... or installing runtime 2.1.4.200. Tried fresh install after updating window 10. All other drivers are up to date.

update: Still crashing for me. I re-downloaded v2.1.4.285 (04 Apr 2018) from YoYo. On startup, it still said 2.1.4.200. Not sure if there is a newer version somewhere I don't know.

Last edited:

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
We are aware of the startup crash and working to fix ASAP. Sorry for anyone experiencing this.

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
Can confirm on both Windows 10 1803 and macOS El Capitan(latest patch)
Both freezing on rss feeds.
The application closes on Windows after a few seconds, but on macOS it just sits there and has to be force closed.

M

Mathew Palm

After installing the update, I ran into an issue where changing persistent rooms would result in the game acting as if instances from the previous room were still there, despite having changed rooms, despite the objects themselves not being persistent, and despite the instances not actually being shown on screen. It's as if the ghost of the previous room was still in my game. The problem was solved when I turned persistence for the rooms off, but it wasn't an issue until I installed the update. Is anyone else having this problem?

M

Mathew Palm

After installing the update, I ran into an issue where changing persistent rooms would result in the game acting as if instances from the previous room were still there, despite having changed rooms, despite the objects themselves not being persistent, and despite the instances not actually being shown on screen. It's as if the ghost of the previous room was still in my game. The problem was solved when I turned persistence for the rooms off, but it wasn't an issue until I installed the update. Is anyone else having this problem?
P.S. Yes, I will be reporting this as a bug.

T

Tyler

You shouldn't have to uninstall it to install the update, but there's no harm in doing so. You definitely do not have to repurchase the software, but you may have to put in your license key again. And all of your projects should remain where they are, undisturbed. ;) (But you can always back them up or move them to another place on your computer to be safe!)

All that said, it seems like the issue isn't with your installation of GameMaker but rather something to do with your internet connection or possibly YYG's servers.
Thank you for the kind reply. I mostly needed someone to reassure me that I wouldn't lose my license or my project.

Since my last post, I tried uninstalling GMS 2 and then re-downloading it. I got the same problem. Tried doing that again - same problem (I thought this method would be promising since I have used it to fix a printer connection).

The last step I took was to power cycle my wireless router (making sure to unplug it AND to take out the battery). This was actually a huge pain because the wireless did not turn back on until I called my service provider. However, now that my router is reset and back to normal, I didn't experience any difficulty reinstalling GMS 2, and it even downloaded at a MUCH faster rate. I also didn't need to reenter my license key.

I was able to reopen my project, and it works perfectly. I did not experience any issues with crashing or collision detection.

I hope this post can help anyone experiencing the same problem. Thanks again.

clee2005

I cannot build the iOS export any longer even after reverting back to 2.1.3.189 runtime. I get the following error in the build output :

PlatformOptions
Options: Y:\WordWowBig_DDA208A2_E7D78BC6\PlatformOptions.json
The given key (option_ios_splashscreen_iphone_landscape) was not present in the dictionary.
Igor complete.

I ran the Generate Project Images tool for all the Splash screens thinking that would do it, but it did not fix anything. Obviously cleared the cache, but still get the same error.

EDIT : Ok got it to build with the 2.1.4 runtime. iOS will not build for me when rolled back to 2.1.3.189 which is what I need because the HTML5 export has changed...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.