• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Instance parenting feature request

Any chance of adding an instance parenting feature to the room editor/runner? I know you can do this now via code by spawning child instances from the parent and storing their id's in a data structure but if you're doing all that then whats the point of having a room editor? I suggest managing the parenting under the instance layers properties, parenting instances like parenting objects is handled now.

I'd also like to see transform tools being added so that an child's position, scale and rotation can be locked to it's parent but I could still do that my self in code.

csanyk

What is it you're trying to do, exactly?

The purpose of the room editor is to edit the room, not to establish inheritance relationships between objects. That's what the object editor is for.

hippyman

What is it you're trying to do, exactly?

The purpose of the room editor is to edit the room, not to establish inheritance relationships between objects. That's what the object editor is for.
He's not talking about inheritance. He's asking for something similar to the other engines that are out. I believe Unity, Godot, and UE4 all work this way.

For example

Say you have SomeObject.
Place one instance of SomeObject in the room. We'll call this root.
Place a second instance of SomeObject in the room. We'll call this child.
Then after placing them, you can set child to use root's transform instead of the world transform.

I would love to see this as well but it's highly unlikely.

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
He's not talking about inheritance. He's asking for something similar to the other engines that are out. I believe Unity, Godot, and UE4 all work this way.

For example

Say you have SomeObject.
Place one instance of SomeObject in the room. We'll call this root.
Place a second instance of SomeObject in the room. We'll call this child.
Then after placing them, you can set child to use root's transform instead of the world transform.

I would love to see this as well but it's highly unlikely.
I think someone requested this in a very early post... and unfortunately I don't have good news for you.. it got rejected at the time.
I even think it was mike that said they are not planning to do add kind of "instance attachment".

I that post if I remember correctly the example was to use this in a racing game where the car body was an object and each wheel was also an object attached to the "car-body" transform.