• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows "Layer system integrity compromised"

A

AlexMdle

After porting our game to GMS2 we've had a bizarre issue popping up everynow and then. Some objects would draw in wrong order, disappear, change their animation speeds, then the game would begin to lag and eventually freeze.

The only thing the compiler would give us would be a column of cryptic error messages in format of "Layer system integrity compromised, instance 101984 not on layer 286". (Whereby the instance and layer numbers vary)

What do we do about it?

DeScruff

Ported a game? I can imagine there might be problems. Just in my experience porting from GMS1.4, to GMS2, isn't always 100%, and I doubt it ever could be with an automated system. Specially if you were doing things that conflict with how GMS2 works.
Personally first I'd start looking for where compatibility scripts were used, and seeing If it be easy enough to adapt them to the new functions. (Things like the old instance_create() should be very easy to replace).
Also check up on some of the new built in variables, I had a buddy who in GMS1.4 actually did have a variable called "layer" in one of his scripts, and that caused a weird issue. - Since then hes gotten in the habit of not having 1 word variables, and using prefixes like "tmp" for var variables.

A

AlexMdle

Compatibility scripts have been automaticaly generated and they seem to work fine. The layer error happens whenever it pleases, it's not limited to a single group of objects and doesn't seem to be tied to any local variable.

A

AlexMdle

I've rifled through the code and this is almost definitely the cause. Thanks!