• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Does GMS2 have better and smoother game optimization than 1.4, when exporting a finished product?

E

elsi11

Hey guys !
I don't really know how stuff works, but maybe GMS2 has some better way to translate code into assembly (or whatever the magic export wizard does), and it makes your game 20% less resource intensive and faster than 1.4. Maybe both are basically the same. Maybe 2 is 50% better than 1.4... I don't know.
I know GMS2 has a fancy drag GUI with lots of buttons to fiddle with and multiple active windows and those fancy connection lines like in Unreal Engine, and also that it has some changes regarding animation speeds and some tools to draw faster and make collision vectors, and also that you can write arrays and variables in a fancier and more intuitive way.
But What I want to know the most is whether the finished product is better.
Knowing that there is no or little difference will make me feel better for not having $$$$$$$ to get GMS 2 :p

Tnx! :)

The-any-Key

Tested to export same game on GMS2 and GMS1.4 and GMS2 exported game is slower than GMS1.4 exported games. This is often the general rule when you add new features to a language. But with time we also get faster computers so the loss is not that bad. Also, you could always find better and smarter ways to code to make it go faster.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
If your game was imported to GMS2 from 1.4 then it has the added overhead of using compatibility scripts and it will not take advantage of the new features like optimised tile maps and proper layers for instances and things. GMS2 performance if superior to 1.4 as long as you use the GMS2 features correctly and don't expect straight 1.4 import to work "as is". That said, I get the same FPS for my game Skein in GMS2 (imported, no fixes) as I do on 1.4 including all the compatibility scripts. Comparing things in this way isn't really very helpful, as it's all VERY subjective and will depend on how you've coded the project, PC specs, etc...

L

Lonewolff

From my experience, anything I have built for GMS 2 is slightly slower than its GMS 1.4 counterpart (even without using compatibility scripts).

The render pipeline is near identical between the two, even though GMS 1.4 uses DirectX 9.0c and GMS 2 uses DirectX 11.

E

elsi11

Guess I'll wait a few years for GMS2 to get better, and maybe pick it up on some sale.
DirectX 9.0c is from the GTA San Andreas era. I'm sure Microsoft will find some way to break it on future Windowses.
Just ~~one~~ a few last things:
1. Have any scripts been changed or deprecated, and if so, where can I find a list so I can avoid using them in my 1.4 project, so I can theoretically just copy paste all the code in GMS2 one day?
2. Also, what do you personally think about GMS2? I know the floating windows and the epic debugger are really nifty, but what about the general feel?
3. Do other coding languages support the new array making system -> array = [ [1,2,5], [banana,5,2,6,8], [2,3] ]. (Just slapping numbers (and even whole sub-arrays) in brackets, and have them be interpreted as array[0,0], array[0,1]...). I think that's pretty cool, but I wouldn't use it if other coders would be: "wtf is this". I actualyl had a dream last night how to make this in 1.4, maybe I'll remember it xD

Tnx!

The-any-Key

can theoretically just copy paste all the code in GMS2 one day?
Nope. But you can import a gms1.4 project to gms2. But there are some differences so you may need to fix things.

general feel?
Dont like the floating windows. But i sitt on a laptop so the screen is not that big. This makes it harder to work when you have 7 code windows opened at the same time. But you can use yellow after lifes tabet code extension.

Comparing things in this way isn't really very helpful, as it's all VERY subjective and will depend on how you've coded the project, PC specs, etc...
True. I will create a small benchmark project with gms1.4 code and gms2 code that show the diff. I tested some in gms2 and notice that instanses and draw functions was slower. But this was in a earlier version of gms2 so it may just have been a bug.

You can do a simple check by start the exported versions from both gms and compare cpu and memory usage.

Last edited:

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
1. Have any scripts been changed or deprecated, and if so, where can I find a list so I can avoid using them in my 1.4 project, so I can theoretically just copy paste all the code in GMS2 one day?
https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/231738328-GameMaker-Studio-2-Obsolete-Function-List
Don't copypaste code, though. There's an import function specifically designed to import 1.x projects and "fix" most of the compatibility issues that may arise automatically (read: get the game to a running state, not necessarily fixing problems but creating temporary compatibility scripts that mimic old functionality to not get obsolete flags).

2. Also, what do you personally think about GMS2? I know the floating windows and the epic debugger are really nifty, but what about the general feel?
I find GM:S 2 a lot easier to work with than 1.x (or any prior version, for that matter). It seems much easier to organize my workspace (no pun intended) and retain an overview over everything I need to focus on at any given moment. The user interface updates to the various editors make a lot of things easier to manage (though some require you to get used to them first, like the sprite editor, which is quite different from the one in previous versions).

3. Do other coding languages support the new array making system -> array = [ [1,2,5], [banana,5,2,6,8], [2,3] ]. (Just slapping numbers (and even whole sub-arrays) in brackets, and have them be interpreted as array[0,0], array[0,1]...). I think that's pretty cool, but I wouldn't use it if other coders would be: "wtf is this". I actualyl had a dream last night how to make this in 1.4, maybe I'll remember it xD
Many do. GML used to be the odd one out for not supporting it up until now, not the other way.

rIKmAN

Guess I'll wait a few years for GMS2 to get better, and maybe pick it up on some sale.
DirectX 9.0c is from the GTA San Andreas era. I'm sure Microsoft will find some way to break it on future Windowses.
Just ~~one~~ a few last things:

Tnx!
Rather than asking all these questions which are going to be answered very subjectively by each individual person, why not download the full version that is available until the 28th using the GDC Jam Licence and use it yourself for 5 full days?

https://www.yoyogames.com/blog/463/desktop-licence-for-everyone-during-gdc-game-jams

Then you will know exactly how you feel about it - what features you like, what features you dislike, you can import your 1.4 projects and see how they run, do speed tests, try exporting etc.

You'll get much more information doing that than asking open ended questions on here as everyone feels differently about GMS2 and it's all personal opinions.

Nothing better than experiencing it yourself and making your own mind up.

E

elsi11

Nothing better than experiencing it yourself and making your own mind up.
Hmmm. I don't usually put trials on my computer because they make poo on the C disc that you can't delete (unless you use regedit ;) ). Also, the desktop version is 20% off on steam, and it isn't THAT expensive. 99$ is a reasonable price. That's like 3 semi-new games. Interesting how they have PS4 and XBOX modules now.
What I find really objectionable is the "only 3 computer limit and 3rd Party YoYo DRM". That implies that you would have to have internet connection so the central YoYo server can check your credentials or whatever. Dunno if they shortcircuited it somehow with Steam because it is in itself DRM.
Well, I don't use my Steam version because of that god-awful amateurish extra window that forces you to pick whether you want to go to the program or the game marketplace. So, I guess I'm concerned about the normal version. I know I can use 1.4 without internet because the authentification cookie (or whatever) was downloaded when I signed in the first time with my special yoyo code.

Can you tell me how GMS2 works in that regard, because I don't like to be internet limited or having a central system keeping logs of my activity.
Tnx!

rIKmAN

Hmmm. I don't usually put trials on my computer because they make poo on the C disc that you can't delete (unless you use regedit ;) ).
Well it isn't a trial, it's the full version of GMS2 that will be be valid until the 28th March, and will then revert to being the trial version.
It will let you use it for 5 full days to try out all of the things you are asking about, and and as I said there is no better way to answer your questions about GMS2 than to use it yourself.

Also not sure what you mean about "poo on the C: drive" unless you are installing ad-infested bloatware - which GMS2 isn't.
You can use programs like CCleaner to keep your system and registry clean of any rubbish, but it's always down to what things you install as to whether your PC gets full of crap or not.
Also, the desktop version is 20% off on steam, and it isn't THAT expensive. 99$ is a reasonable price. That's like 3 semi-new games.
I agree with everything you said, but your first post in this thread was saying you didn't have the money to purchase it, so I posted you the link to try out the full version for free for 5 days.
Can you tell me how GMS2 works in that regard, because I don't like to be internet limited or having a central system keeping logs of my activity.
Tnx!
You need to be online the first time you use GMS2 to login, and after that you can use the software "offline" for upto 30 days.
After this 30 day period you will need to login again whilst online to renew your credentials, which will then allow upto another 30 days of offline use.

Basically you have to sign in once every 30 days online to renew your credentials and allow offline use for that month.

Hyomoto

If you are skittish about installing GM2 then you'll have to take off your tin foil hat for this one. Every program treats your hard drive and OS with little regard. Don't believe me? Pick five random games and see where they store your save files. As for having to sign in however, yeah. That's annoying. I miss buy-once-use-forever software as much, or more, than the average person born in the eighties. Steam managed to solve this issue a number of years ago, but GM2's "offline" mode has never worked for me. If I try to fire it up without a internet connect it doesn't work. So, yeah, that's a valid point and my experience is you'll have to put up with it if you want to use GM2. GM:S may work better in this regard, but I haven't used that since the GM2 beta so someone else will have to chime in there.

rIKmAN

but GM2's "offline" mode has never worked for me. If I try to fire it up without a internet connect it doesn't work.
Have you tried either unplugging your ethernet cable (desktop) or disabling wireless completely (laptop) or both?
Disabling your ethernet connection in settings would also work instead of unplugging it.

Even though my router was offline I had to unplug my ethernet cable for it to work as even having it plugged in made GMS2 think I had a connection of some sort and it kept trying to connect and failing rather than realising I was offline and just letting me use it.

Once I disconnected the cable I logged in fine in offline mode so might be worth a try.

Hyomoto

@rIKmAN Hmm, it's worth checking. I use wireless entirely, but you'd think if it isn't connected to a router that would be sufficient. I'll keep this in mind in the future since I don't really want to troubleshoot GM2 right now, but I still stand by my original remarks. Even if that does fix it, the offline mode for GM2 isn't exactly top notch. It's like Steam was about seven years ago. If there's one thing they did get right with Steam, the offline mode is pretty reliable now.

T

TGHoly

only reason I get it just because it save and compile project faster. GMS 1.4 take like 5 min just to save/compile project and even freeze my pc entirely make me lost my progression several time if only GMS1.4 save/compile fast as GMS2 I could save my time like 3 month while also get more polish game.

DeScruff

@rIKmAN Even if that does fix it, the offline mode for GM2 isn't exactly top notch.
Agreed as well... I swear I gotta relogin and go online all the time with my laptop. Which is always annoying since I only use that thing when I'm not home, and I don't have access to the internet.
I end up just writing dialog, or making sprites because they can be done in other offline programs, which while productive, wasn't what I needed to get done.