• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Simulate console limitations?

B

basement ape

Something I've been wondering about: Is it possible/feasible to implement a feature in GMS2 that simulates the CPU, GPU, RAM etc-limitations of a given console?

This could be a great help for people who aim to try and release on consoles eventually. That way we'd be able to optimize and cut down on unnecessary fluff early on in-development.

andev

I feel like this is one of those situations where you just have to bite the bullet and buy a console. There's nothing more accurate than the thing itself

B

basement ape

Don't you need devkits to be able to test on consoles though?

Last edited by a moderator:

csanyk

If you're talking about the modern console build targets, the best thing will be to own that console and put your builds on it. (I have no experience with this, but there's no substitute for testing on actual hardware).

If you're talking about doing a retro game that simulates the limitations of some old-school console, then you can read up on them and implement whatever technical limitations you think are important to your game in your project. For example, you can use only the colors that were available in the system's palette. Or you can limit yourself to drawing only the number of sprites the original system was capable of drawing on the screen at once. Or you can define your screen resolution to be whatever the old console supported.

This is pretty technical stuff, but not hard to implement, and the information is out there. Read homebrewing and rom hacking web sites and do your research.

L

Lonewolff

This could be a great help for people who aim to try and release on consoles eventually.
All this talk of VM's and old school consoles, I would have thought that this statement in the OP would have made it clear he is talking about modern consoles.

GMWolf

aka fel666
Nah, just run it on a pc with simmilar specs.
Even then it's only a rough approximation, these things are complicated.

Best thing you can do is have quality settings you can change, so that when you do release on console you don't need a full rewtire.