• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows Blades(working title)

Niels

I'm proud to announce my first gamedev project that I got in a stage that I dare to show it on this forum ;)

Title: Blades (working title, may change when I come up with a better name)

DESCRIPTION
Inspired by ninja gaiden, (both NES and the xbox/ps versions)and Shinobi games, I bring you a fast paced action/platformer game of ninja's, acrobatics and dismemberment!

STORY:
* in progress *
MEDIA SECTION:
978.png

early_prototype demo:

(level and tiles are placeholder)

ninjagirl2anime.gif
UPDATE 2:

futher working on the movement and combat system.

Demo almost ready

I really like my downward thrust attack :)

UPDATE 1:

Worked on the tileset of the opening/tutorial level:

other changes are less minor tweaks and first steps into creating enemies and hazards (from which 1 is shown on the screen shot for people with a keen eye or ninja vision;) )
DEMO:

*Playable demo coming soon!*

Thanks for showing interest!

Last edited:

CasePortman

Nice! The platforming in that prototype video looks super tight and the wall running looks very fun, very interested in this!

Niels

the pixelart is exactly the style that i like.

btw the video reminds me of Shadow Warriors.
thanks that you like it :) the video was quickly made in youtubes video editor.

I'm planning on replacing it with something that looks better as soon as I have a few more assets in place:) (and less obnoxious loud background music,) )

Just found out that ninja gaiden (NES) was called shadow warriors in Europe :)

Z

zendraw

pardon me, i meant shadow of the ninja, i aways mistake the name with shadow warriors for some reason..

Niels

#UPDATE 2

still working on the project:
Non combat demo is almost ready (enemy AI and models take some time to implent ;)), but I garantee it will be fun!

Also I implented a downward thrust attack which I think looks pretty badass :)

Last edited:

Niels

sorry should really continue with the project :)
It's kinda in limbo because I'm working as pixel artist on a other game project.

But I'm planning on making a playable demo soon

darkfalzx

This looks really nice. Clearly inspired by Ninja Gaiden and the like, but that's a nice and safe thing to be inspired by. I really like the Legend of Kage-style ninja character you got there. Now all you need are those insane Legend of Kage sky-jumps... no scratch that - those were awful: )

Last edited:

Niels

small update:
currenlty working on the tileset for the demo level. after that I will finish some enemies and I can release a demo

M

milch

wowowow oh man those animations <3 this looks super fun!! great job

Niels

Haha thx for the replies! Will continue with it soon after I'm finished doing pixelart for other projects

K

Kaiserness

Looks great! I really enjoy the focus on fluid movements. Those kinds of things are vital in an a good action-platformer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Niels

Are you still working on this project?
At the moment not.. It went in a state of cryosleep when my life got too busy.

But I do want to pick up the game in the future (after I finished my curent smaller project, which i reveal soon) and see if I can get a team together.

Joe Ellis

This game looks nice, and after looking at your portfolio your a very good artist! Hope you get somewhere with this

Niels

update:
Because of the positive feedback I keep getting on this project I am currently setting up a plan to restart the project!

Plan:
The plan will exist out of the following steps.
1. Rework the art into the new style/setting (10%done)
2.search for a programmer to cooperate with.
3. Release a small public demo for feedback.

I will keep you updated on the progress, and thx for the feedback you guys gave me:)