• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows GMS2 opening with white screen for 3 secs then closed.

Luigi1000

Hey, I am having an issue as the title says whee game maker studio 2 opens its window with full white for 3 seconds then closes w/o freezing.
I have no idea what's going on and before anyone asks me, no there is no UI.log file in the programs folder for gms2 and I am running windows 8.1 64-bit system with more than the required specs.
Any help resolving the issue would help greatly.

rIKmAN

Hey, I am having an issue as the title says whee game maker studio 2 opens its window with full white for 3 seconds then closes w/o freezing.
I have no idea what's going on and before anyone asks me, no there is no UI.log file in the programs folder for gms2 and I am running windows 8.1 64-bit system with more than the required specs.
Any help resolving the issue would help greatly.
The ui.log file doesn't live in the GMS2 program / installation folder, it's in ProgramData.
On my Windows 10 machine that is at: C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2

Have a check in there and see if there is one.

Luigi1000

The ui.log file doesn't live in the GMS2 program / installation folder, it's in ProgramData.
On my Windows 10 machine that is at: C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2

Have a check in there and see if there is one.
Windows 8.1 does not have a "C:\ProgramData\" directorry only a "C:\Program Files\" of which in the subdirectory of "C:\Program Files\GameMaker Studio 2" it conains no file called "UI.log" and the only file with log in its name or extension is the file called "log4net.txt".

rIKmAN

Windows 8.1 does not have a "C:\ProgramData\" directorry only a "C:\Program Files\" of which in the subdirectory of "C:\Program Files\GameMaker Studio 2" it conains no file called "UI.log" and the only file with log in its name or extension is the file called "log4net.txt".
it's a hidden folder, so you'll need to enable "Show Hidden Files and Folders" in your explorer options.

Alternatively, click the Start Button and type "C:\ProgramData\" and hit enter and it should open the folder on your desktop.

Z

Zeralith

The better way to do it is to type:

%programdata%

in your Start/Search/Cortana Bar and hit Enter.

What is actually happening here is in the Windows Registry, %programdata% will have a pointer to:

%systemdrive%\ProgramData

%systemdrive% is not always the C:\ drive.

There are a couple of reasons for doing it this way, which I can think of:
  1. Again, it is very possible to install Windows on another drive that is not C:\ (which is very unusual) but is very possible. The drive where Windows is installed on, will also have ProgramData, Users, and Program Files installed on that same drive, by default. It could be "D:\ProgramData\" for example. Some Power Users and OEMs even can change all the linked stuff in the Windows Registry, to change the Windows drive letter, after the installation (this would be done in an offline mode with another OS or tools, side-by-side). Mostly, this would be done in some nutty shops that run Windows Servers and hope it's even one more layer of protection from things like Randomware.

2. If you are applying for an IT Job or taking a Microsoft Certification Exam, and they ask you this question (like in an interview or during the test), this will be the answer they are looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:

rIKmAN

The better way to do it is to type:

%programdata%

in your Start/Search/Cortana Bar and hit Enter.

What is actually happening here is in the Windows Registry, %programdata% will have a pointer to:

%systemdrive%\ProgramData

%systemdrive% is not always the C:\ drive.

There are a couple of reasons for doing it this way, which I can think of:
  1. Again, it is very possible to install Windows on another drive that is not C:\ (which is very unusual) but is very possible. The drive where Windows is installed on, will also have ProgramData, Users, and Program Files installed on that same drive, by default. It could be "D:\ProgramData\" for example. Some Power Users and OEMs even can change all the linked stuff in the Windows Registry, to change the Windows drive letter, after the installation (this would be done in an offline mode with another OS or tools, side-by-side). Mostly, this would be done in some nutty shops that run Windows Servers and hope it's even one more layer of protection from things like Randomware.

2. If you are applying for an IT Job or taking a Microsoft Certification Exam, and they ask you this question (like in an interview or during the test), this will be the answer they are looking for.
While you are 100% correct, he posted information above stating that his system drive was indeed C: so I felt no need to add another layer of confusion to the instructions by using environment variables and gave him his direct path to the folder.

In general use if you aren't sure what letter your system drive is though, yeah use %appdata%, %programdata% etc.