• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Gamemaker for Mac questions

E

edenbook85

Hi everyone, i would like to know:

1. are there any major differences with gamemaker for mac (version 7) vs regular game maker (version 8) in turms of functionality and features?

2. also what type of licensing does gamemaker for mac offer?...it cost 20 dollars does that mean i can publish my games license free?...am i limited on the platforms i can export too?

any insight would be welcome. thanks.

N

NPT

1. Yes. In my opinion one of the biggest differences is how graphic transparncy is handled. gm4mac (7) uses the bottom left pixel for transparancy and GM 8 and higher use PNG alpha channels. Less functions. and gm4mac can't open gm8 or higher source files.

2. The are no licencing restrictions in the legal sense, your games are your own to sell or give away. The only platform you can export to is Mac (intel) and I'm not sure how compatible it is with the later versions of OS X.

I haven't run GM4Mac in years it's just not stable enough, nor feature full.

I much prefer to run Studio in Windows under bootcamp/VMs and create executables for all platforms.

D

Drewster

Hi everyone, i would like to know:

1. are there any major differences with gamemaker for mac (version 7) vs regular game maker (version 8) in turms of functionality and features?

2. also what type of licensing does gamemaker for mac offer?...it cost 20 dollars does that mean i can publish my games license free?...am i limited on the platforms i can export too?

any insight would be welcome. thanks.
Not the question you asked, but get GameMaker Studio: Professional instead. Run it in Parallels instead if you have to.