• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Allow Disabling YYG's Advertising On Startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

When you start GMS2, it opens with a "recent projects" list and a giant banner ad for YYG's exports (whether or not you already own them).

Can anyone think of any other paid software that shows you aggressive advertising on startup? I can't. At a minimum, I should be able to turn it off. It's also unprofessional, so I'd suggest YYG rethink having it by default.

I too would love the ability to turn the banner off but given YoYo is a company that needs to make money (That thing that keeps the engine in development) from it's services I can't see them ever allowing it. Besides it's not that obtrusive and they have always displayed news on startup. There are much bigger UI fixes and tweaks I'd rather see happen than a banner being removed.

JeffJ

Whether or not someone else may or may not be doing something similar in a more or less annoying way should not really have any sort of determining factor.

The way I see it, in the free version, do whatever you want.

In the paid version - do not advertise. Or at the very least allow it to be disabled.

Personally I don't really care much either way, but on pure principle I completely agree with OP. It's actually a bit in bad taste when we're talking paid versions.

Posh Indie

That Guy
I can see removing the advertisements for exports you already own (Beneficial to YoYoGames as well, as I would obviously not be interested in buying what I already have and they take away visibility from other products), but honestly, the banner has never been a bother to me either way. It is handled tastefully, and it is not like they have AdSense ads up there (I would be on your side, then). If they broadcast deals and things like that up there, I am all for it. It would be easier than trolling the website daily to find time limited deals (Or risk missing them).

Posh Indie

That Guy
That is a feature the entire community has been harassing YoYoGames for non-stop since the inception of the Nintendo Switch, so that banner was entirely expected. It is also a banner for their own product. Note the key word, "Banner". Would you rather full screen video ads for completely unrelated third party products?

Is your screen resolution so small that the banner takes away from your ability to enter the development environment? Do you have a medical disorder that prevents you from progressing beyond the vibrant color scheme? Do you open and close the software so repeatedly that the banner disrupts your ability to use the software?

It is handled tastefully, blame Nintendo for choosing red as their color, but then thank them for letting GameMaker support Nintendo Switch exporting.

Last edited:

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
I don't really see the issue... its' not like you sit on the front page for hours at a time. You load it, you select a project, and then it's gone.
This is how we display important info, and is not something we're looking to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.