Exporting to a CD

E

Electrimatics

I am very new to making games - in fact, this is my first one!

I have looked through a couple sources and still am unsure about how I can export my game to run on a stand-alone CDROM. The requirements of the competition state the judges must be able to run the game (on Windows) from a CD without having to install any additional software. Would I export the game as a .exe file, or is there another format?

Thanks!

J

Jack Matthew

If you export the game as an .exe, you could create an autorun file and place it on the CDROM such that your game automatically starts when the CD is read.

W

Wayfarer

Yeah, just make an exe / installer and place that on the disc. Installer might be better because then it can be installed locally instead of from the CD.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Since the judges don't want to "install additional software" it kinda sounds like you'd just make an EXE and then burn that to a CD (just to make sure they don't disqualify the game for being an installer) - you might wanna get that clarified with the competition staff.

There's a bunch of format caveats with GMS1's .exe export format (it uses some windows compression component that is incompatible between 32bit and 64bit platforms, I think... I don't remember the details) so lots of people recommends exporting it as .zip instead. You could always unzip it yourself if you're worried that could be "relying on external software" (and then put ALL the files from the zip archive on the CD, and include instructions to run the .exe)

W

Wayfarer

Since the judges don't want to "install additional software" it kinda sounds like you'd just make an EXE and then burn that to a CD (just to make sure they don't disqualify the game for being an installer) - you might wanna get that clarified with the competition staff.
Actually that's a good point. It'd be a frustrating way to get disqualified.

E

Electrimatics

Also, if I export my game, a new file will be created, correct? I can still edit my game and re-export if needed?