Alpha Elusive Resident Evil Clone

rIKmAN

cool...my previous one was Icecream Screen Stuff Recorder which only recorded to *.v8b which nothing could read. Thank you for that
GifCam is also pretty handy if you want to record some gifs rather than videos - create an account on Imgur or similar to upload them and post round forums etc.

K

Kobold

GifCam is also pretty handy if you want to record some gifs rather than videos - create an account on Imgur or similar to upload them and post round forums etc.
I was wondering about that. Before they started popping up I thought GIF was from back in the days when the iNet started to become more household-common. I am so out-dated that I didn't realize that everyone went back. This is certainly a cool software, which I won't be able to get around... because recording videos is not my thing, haha.

rIKmAN

I was wondering about that. Before they started popping up I thought GIF was from back in the days when the iNet started to become more household-common. I am so out-dated that I didn't realize that everyone went back. This is certainly a cool software, which I won't be able to get around... because recording videos is not my thing, haha.
Yep, gone full circle - I'm sat here browsing in a pair of flares with a teddy boy haircut! :D

Gifcam is pretty simple - resize the window, select your settings and hit record - then save it!
It's one of many free gif recording programs, but I had best results with it from the few I tried.

K

Kobold

...I even figured it out.
Gifcam does not seem to let me do editing really... so I took the video recorder which Geoff recommended ...recorded it down and used the Gifcam to record the MediaPlayer window, haha... what a breeze :) Thank you guys for the links. It even works on my crappy facebook page.

Last edited:
O

orSQUADstra

I don't know about you guys but..
..It kinda looks like she's giving the zombies a hardcore blowjob...

K

Kobold

Thought I throw some content into the GM world.

I thought having a pre-rendered background and just superimpose a character over it would be all I need to do, haha..
So it happened, I created the worst case scenario of making a test room with quite a bit of structure which requires multiple depth checks along X and Y axis to activate Foreground layers in a sequence that goes hand in hand with the camera's focus.
Cool stuff! Now I know what Capcom ran into when pioneering this (back in the days when Fidget-Spinners would have been considered unreasonable) ...

Here my new Test Room checking foreground-layer-depth
(the black lids on the floor are orientation marks to match up focus settings which are according to Blender 3D)

K

Kobold

Some new stuff on my end, this time.

Here you can see Robin walking through the Switch-Room... there are still a few overlay-mechanics that don't work very well... but it has come quite a long way... lots of content . The actual physical "paperwork"-Binder (yes that exists too) holding licenses , receipts and legal documents is getting fatter every week.

Last edited:
T

Thunder Lion

After seeing the lousy graphics i have to say this game is a horrible remake of TETRIS!!! SHAME

K

Kobold

After seeing the lousy graphics i have to say this game is a horrible remake of TETRIS!!! SHAME
haha! Wait until you see Doctor Mario slamming through one of the doors... transforming into a Tetris block of course after you hit him with an Ice-Cream-Cone :)

K

Kobold

it's me again... who else spams this community more than I do?! (I know there is plenty of others... but I am certainly up there, right?)

I have got something cool for anyone that likes my crappy attempt on a resident evil clone... a "making of" of Room09 - The Ground level kitchen:

before I introduce the image stuff, I would like to point out that I am on a schedule and I pay for most of the assets which are being used within my project.... and why not, I support the market, so the artists can focus on making more cool stuff which supports their living.
Anyway... anything I import from my source has a different "attitude" towards the workflow... if one thinks: "append and off to the project file" and then it's done... nope. I have nuked over 137 assets so far and EVERY single 3d model has given me some sort of conversion-work... may it be decimating an over-subsurfaced ship-door in wrong object format or simply importing one object which is split into a LOT of different mesh objects... or even de-parenting a set of 85 different models which all have totally different offsets, transformation relations and what not.... (the worst was a modifier-based bezier curve data mesh object which had to be re-meshed from ground up ...Room65 -Generator Room... I hated this Room more than any other room until I met the following...) there is always something that separates the workflow from one model to the next...

So yesterday I was importing a massive 2.5mio vertices heavy kitchen set (it says 1.296 on the bar... but at this point I have already de-clustered most of the ENTIRE kitchen... so you can not see the other heavy-weight models that came with it)... and it looked like that:

You see that nasty strand of interrupted/dotted lines searching for the origin controller/marker? Right! Exactly that made my life super interesting.... that was a FIRST for me to see someone delivering a model like that... I do understand that this was intended because it is a already set-up scene... but the room where it hat to fit in was not shaped like that.... so I had to dismantle the whole thing... then finally turning it into this:

The house (or castle ... a hollow high-poly 3d model) which I have mapped out at the beginning of the story-writing to the game, goes carefully hand in hand... 1:1 aspect ratio, you could say....
And some of you will notice by the windows it has a victorian style to it.... I am in for a big... looooong... development. But... luckily 20% of the game is done (77 rooms in total... with an average of 3 renders/views). In my screenshot examples of the tech-demo you can see a quarter of the Basement.

Thought it might be worth telling you what I am up against...
...learn from me: DON'T take on mammoth projects... it'll consume your life
Edit: Just kidding... you definitely don't want to take me as a reference for anything, haha

Last edited:

CMAllen

What were you trying to fix? Getting origin points logically located for the objects in question? Or breaking apart the scene hierarchy to get rid of all that nonsense entirely?

rIKmAN

it's me again... who else spams this community more than I do?! (I know there is plenty of others... but I am certainly up there, right?)
Dude, this is not even slightly comparable to some of the completely inane questions and posts people make on this forum - please keep the updates coming, it's an interesting read.

Looks like it's coming along really well, I'll be keeping my eye on this - good work so far! :)

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Dude! Take my money while it is still freshly printed and crisp! Seriously!

I almost feel like you pretend to be too hard on yourself for the sake of getting funny reactions.

NONE of your work is "lousy" or "crappy" in the slightest! :D

K

Kobold

Wow! ... I mean ...
What were you trying to fix? Getting origin points logically located for the objects in question? Or breaking apart the scene hierarchy to get rid of all that nonsense entirely?
Basically what happened... I was importing a large Kitchen-Scene in FBX format and the modeller who made it decided to basically sub-section the scene... kinda like: "Wash-Area" "Prep-Area" "Stove-Section" and what not. Which meant that every single mesh-object had one actual origin, then a parent offset and a parent to a section/group ... that is 3 origins... and by single mesh object I mean that the kitchen sink for example was made out of multiple mesh-object... like the handle of the faucet, part of the sink's frame... made out of six cubes (individual objects) .... so you can kinda see the dilemma here.
I ended up taking the sections, separating the units which I could not fit into my 1:1 kitchen room and then joined the left over mesh and cleared all parents... (I would love to talk about the issue with every mesh object having odd sizes... but that would take up a huge chunk of the forum's database....)

You should come join the GMC discord, specifically the 3D channel!
Here's the link:https://discord.gg/By6u9pC
Use !3d to get into the 3D channel.
Cool! thanks... I will go and zoom right into it \m/

Dude, this is not even slightly comparable to some of the completely inane questions and posts people make on this forum - please keep the updates coming, it's an interesting read.

Looks like it's coming along really well, I'll be keeping my eye on this - good work so far! :)
For sure! let me throw a piece of the "like-bomb" at you.

Dude! Take my money while it is still freshly printed and crisp! Seriously!

I almost feel like you pretend to be too hard on yourself for the sake of getting funny reactions.

NONE of your work is "lousy" or "crappy" in the slightest! :D
Wow man! You would like to play an old-fashioned Horror-Survival like this one, and even pay for it? That is a pretty huge compliment (at least I take it as such). Here, have a piece of the "like-bomb".

CMAllen

Basically what happened... I was importing a large Kitchen-Scene in FBX format and the modeller who made it decided to basically sub-section the scene... kinda like: "Wash-Area" "Prep-Area" "Stove-Section" and what not. Which meant that every single mesh-object had one actual origin, then a parent offset and a parent to a section/group ... that is 3 origins... and by single mesh object I mean that the kitchen sink for example was made out of multiple mesh-object... like the handle of the faucet, part of the sink's frame... made out of six cubes (individual objects) .... so you can kinda see the dilemma here.
I ended up taking the sections, separating the units which I could not fit into my 1:1 kitchen room and then joined the left over mesh and cleared all parents... (I would love to talk about the issue with every mesh object having odd sizes... but that would take up a huge chunk of the forum's database....)
Ahh. Yeah. That would take some time to break down and fix, since it would require picking out all the various pieces and joining them all together to reassemble the finished object. Given the density I saw, I do not envy you that kind of work. I'm familiar with the task. One of the reasons I'm curious about the idea Turbosquid has floated about an industry-standard unified model format to make migrating 3d assets between different platforms more seamless.

K

Kobold

...One of the reasons I'm curious about the idea Turbosquid has floated about an industry-standard unified model format to make migrating 3d assets between different platforms more seamless.
....I think Autodesk is probably going to get stabby over this... seeing that they would rather go and have the entire world use their highly over-secured and non supportive *.max format and forcing everyone to use their overpriced array of pointless-single-solution-"modules".
I mean I would be all in for that... no question (edit: the idea of the new global-format).

But to be honest that would not change too much in terms of modellers/3d-designers having different ways of making things cryptic... I am afraid, haha.
I am very happy that lots of people make their assets available to different software (I mean that only makes sense, since the more people you reach and can sell your stuff to, the better, right?)... I rarely come across a resource which Blender couldn't import.

But yeah... I will be all ears and eyes open for that global-format or whatever... that would make things certainly a lot more hassle-free

CMAllen

The issue with .max files has always been that for another program to 'import' them, you basically have to open-source the entire modifier hierarchy system and all its functionality. In other words...they'd have to give away what makes Studio Max, well, Studio Max. Strange thing is, now that I'm familiar and comfortable with Blender, I don't miss working with Studio Max under most circumstances (rare exception being procedural 4d noise functions that I've not found an adequate substitute for within Blender). Modeling, rigging, UV mapping, etc. Blender's tools are consistently quicker and easier to work with. In fact, I loathed doing any sort of serious UV unwrapping or rigging in Max. Both system in Max were a god-awful, convoluted mess of legacy crap and half-baked ideas.

K

Kobold

...well... we all (or a few) knew it was coming...

I went out and about... and while doing so I have decided to just go for it and see what happens.
So the following scenario went down... I stepped into London Drugs and pointed fingers... and afterwards walked out with a đź’©đź’©đź’©đź’©ty LCD (19" dirt cheap) and an XBox One (never had one, never wanted one). I got home and turned my dev-room into a junk-yard (boxes and wrappers everywhere... cables winding around my neck and legs). Opened my YoYo Account and said: "You want some?! here... take it!" (UWP).

4 HOURS (of downloading, updating, setting-up, registering, swearing) and a smashed-up wallet that looked like an Elephant went over it later:

My "lousy resident evil clone" plus previously introduced kitchen room09 in action.

Everything works... from extensions to shaders to loading cryptic model files.
I was a bit skeptical to be honest in regards to the console related matter... hence why I went and got the UWP to get an idea... and sure enough, YYG is not screwing around.

GMS2 forking rules!

Thought I share this little personal "breakthrough"... of my kitchen-room-project going XBox , haha

Last edited:
K

Kobold

...once more... another week, another bump (or whatever)

this time around ... since we know that GMVideo does a beautiful job on playing cut-scenes on XBox One (as long as you keep the size somewhat reasonable, and the resolution between "tiny" and "recognizable"... on PC or Mac it's a different story) ...there is even more work to be done in Blender 3D.
So having a pretty beefy GPU and Cycles cranked into high heavens, a Cut-Scene seemed reasonable.
...I have a model of a Mansion which is pretty detailed.... from far away ... but not so much when you come in closer with the camera. Sadly there is no entrance to the low-poly Mansion Model, so there has been another artist who got rewarded with money who provided a rather detailed model... with an even more detailed texture... I mean you can see the sand-grains of the cement in that texture... THAT detailed
anyway my point here is that sometimes you have to include detail into low-structure and this is what it looks like:

the mansion's structure is good for far away (as established) but the Door... not so much. This worked out great.
Sadly I set it up with no camera panning or anything so I could have just rendered a Background and super-imposed (which I kinda became pretty good at) Robin over top of it... oh well... the GPU took this like: "pffff... is that all?"

So here we have a cut... of the cut-scene (7MB Gif...):

...so yeah! The project comes along quite nicely... I've even found a Composer (or he found me) who has begun doing work on the music... which I have no idea of at all.

So this time I can say:
Greetings, the Code Evergreen Coder and his Musician

L

Lonewolff

Solid man! Looking awesome!

I bought an XBox One a year ago to do the same thing. Still haven't played any games on it. My kid's loved the impulse buy though.

K

Kobold

...it's me again...

...my project is still around, cool.

It's getting harder to show "relevant" stuff... so what you're looking at is me trying to figure basic math... z-elevation-calculation or whatever.
I suck at math... it's been one of my most hated subjects at school... but somehow I managed it to come up with a formula... now Robin (that 3D model walking around) knows how to tackle stairs....

...that's it for now.

K

Kobold

...me ...once more.

This time around why not making something more interesting (hopefully).
Let me give anyone who is interested an insight on how moi is coming up with content.. and other related nonsense.

Kobold creates a room:

1. Step - let's look at the structure...

Before I started to turn Code Evergreen into a 3D Hybrid I needed an idea.. and the idea was to get an object where the story revolves around.. THIS model represents a mansion which is modelled by Emmerson Rosa and is used under Royalty Free License (again, I do buy assets in order to get things done as fast as possible... I only gave myself until 2019 and after that I want to move on to the next game.. so why invest 10 years modelling everything myself? (don't let this fool you, I do a massive portion of modelling and texturing myself, not to mention animating and all that stuff)... besides all that paying other modellers makes them wanna pursue their dreams of turning their hobby into their dream-job one day, right? We support the industry.)... and this model is inspired by Canada's Casa Loma.

2) Looking at the floor lay-out which I have carefully planned out level by level...

So what happened here is pretty simple... before I went and just started doing room-design I needed to strip the Mansion-Model down and cut it into levels... After that I rendered a map for the game's 4 levels... the one we are looking at here is the Ground-Level and we're after "Room 11 - Dining Room". And yes everything in that game project is ridiculously carefully planned out and filed. Nothing here is random ... everything follows a plan... sort of.... most of the time. Btw I have no idea how Casa Loma looks from the inside and I am not basing anything on the original inside/interior... I have chosen the model just because it looked cool until I found out that it actually exists, afterwards

3) ...let's see how the ground floor kinda looks like...

...cool, we get the idea, let's take room 11 (to the east) ...

4) Now I have to separate the room to build a 1:1 structure

...so I have the exact shape and size which I need. Next thing is me inverting the windows and build my walls , ceiling and what not...

5) The shell...

like I have mentioned the shell basically keeps everything 1:1 to the original mansion structure. Notice how the windows are the exact same location.

6) ...the inside

the biggest pain is structuring the inside. I always have to start with the Doors (keeping the neighbouring rooms in consideration.. meaning we are using the same door at the very same position) and then goo and do some basic boolean modifier meshing, add some cool items, add some materials + lighting and here we go:

Room 11 View 2 - The Dining Room

so... basically when I implement such a room the workflow is like following:
a) Render the Room in different angles
b) Merge all view-renders as a PNG strip
c) Create a 3D low-poly Mask (This is what Capcom started doing with the Resident Evil Remake series... advantage is possible future ray casting shadows and stuff... as soon as I get my hand on an open GL shadow shader that supports GMS's 8 lights)
d) Save down the 3D Mask in a proprietary model format (basically a mesh data without UV's and Colour data)
c) Render a over-head collision mask (I don't use 3D collision as the game doesn't require this additional process).

the engine loads room textures and 3D masks on the fly...
...overhead collision mask can not be loaded on the fly because of their actual GM collision mask settings which have to be pre-determined within the resource tree.

...holy cow

Last edited:
K

Kobold

...hello folks

a little update here on my end...
first congratulations to all of us being able to finally tackle the three cornerstones of popular console gaming.... YYG's is rocking and rolling.

now here is a pretty dumb thing I need to rant about:
as I mentioned before I purchase pre-made 3D assets to get this project to the desired release date in time. In previous topics fellow developers seem to think of that as a lame thing todo... very sad.... I feel like what I am working on is being pretty much degraded (despite the fact that it is still a lot of work to get the assets to work).
Now here is one thing that keeps popping up which also puts a bad light onto the situation...
..the Catalogue where I purchase the assets from is called TurboSquid (probably known by most of you).
I am waiting since 3 months on 3 legal clearances where I have no handle on at all and I am under the mercy of Companies such as Glock, Polair and Dodge. Check this out:
https://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/1154547
this asset is described to be under "Royalty Free License - All extended Uses" (edit: they have changed it now to "Editorial Uses allowed" since I've put in a complaint. They are quick with refunding... but that doesn't cover the time it took for the paperwork stuff... and now I am stuck looking for something else to replace the asset with... oh man)
of course Dodge does NOT agree with this at all... same to POLAIR:
https://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/766305
both licensed under Royalty Free ...all extended uses.

I am stuck on 3 legal clearances where I wasted money and time on.
I bought the assets under the impression that legals have been cleared already... but I always double check then after purchase anyway by contacting the companies that are associated with the models in one way or another, just to make sure that I will NOT have anything interfering with the release.

So just to support what you folks say about "buying assets" ... don't do it. Make your own .... takes longer but nothing can pause your progress.

Last edited:

CMAllen

...hello folks

a little update here on my end...
first congratulations to all of us being able to finally tackle the three cornerstones of popular console gaming.... YYG's is rocking and rolling.

now here is a pretty dumb thing I need to rant about:
as I mentioned before I purchase pre-made 3D assets to get this project to the desired release date in time. In previous topics fellow developers seem to think of that as a lame thing todo... very sad.... I feel like what I am working on is being pretty much degraded (despite the fact that it is still a lot of work to get the assets to work).
Now here is one thing that keeps popping up which also puts a bad light onto the situation...
..the Catalogue where I purchase the assets from is called TurboSquid (probably known by most of you).
I am waiting since 3 months on 3 legal clearances where I have no handle on at all and I am under the mercy of Companies such as Glock, Polair and Dodge. Check this out:
https://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/1154547
this asset is described to be under "Royalty Free License - All extended Uses" (edit: they have changed it now to "Editorial Uses allowed" since I've put in a complaint. They are quick with refunding... but that doesn't cover the time it took for the paperwork stuff... and now I am stuck looking for something else to replace the asset with... oh man)
of course Dodge does NOT agree with this at all... same to POLAIR:
https://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/766305
both licensed under Royalty Free ...all extended uses.

I am stuck on 3 legal clearances where I wasted money and time on.
I bought the assets under the impression that legals have been cleared already... but I always double check then after purchase anyway by contacting the companies that are associated with the models in one way or another, just to make sure that I will NOT have anything interfering with the release.

So just to support what you folks say about "buying assets" ... don't do it. Make your own .... takes longer but nothing can pause your progress.
Or get a freelancer to create stuff for you. Or, well, that's an idea, I guess. And I'm not sure I get why the licensing issue should be hanging you up. You're not using or distributing the asset itself. You're using and distributing a render created from it. According to all IP and copyright laws I know, that should belong to you -- just like taking a photo of something belongs to the photographer, not the owner of whatever the photo is of. Those licensing clauses are about using the actual models in another product -- ie, the fridge model itself in a 3d game.

rIKmAN

Sorry to hear about your licensing troubles, but just wanted to show some support and tell you not to get too discouraged.

This project is really unique and I look forward to seeing it evolve. :)

K

Kobold

Or get a freelancer to create stuff for you. Or, well, that's an idea, I guess. And I'm not sure I get why the licensing issue should be hanging you up. You're not using or distributing the asset itself. You're using and distributing a render created from it. According to all IP and copyright laws I know, that should belong to you -- just like taking a photo of something belongs to the photographer, not the owner of whatever the photo is of. Those licensing clauses are about using the actual models in another product -- ie, the fridge model itself in a 3d game.
...that is what I was not quite sure about... so I went and passed it along to a friend of mine who does basic real estate law... he said that TS's terms and conditions and licensing disclaimers/agreements are worthless and that they intentionally leave themselves room to push the responsibilities away from them in case something happens.
So whatever I have purchased and used from their catalogue is NOT legally cleared in a real sense of protecting the end-user (me) from stepping into a big pile of shoot.
He explained it like that:
Even if I went and messed with the image and edited the heck out of it, if some company sees their logo or patented shape ripped off I would have to go and show to them where it came from... kinda like you take a photograph of a tree and in the background is one guy wearing a "northface" branded Jacked, a pair of Joop glasses and a pair of Nikes, maybe walking to his mercedes... I would be in for a heck of a lot of explaining when one of them hates the platform where it got published on/to/wahtever and with the documents that I have from TS I wouldn't be safe.
I have 85 purchased assets, 3 of them show actual company logos ...and I have to directly get these sorted as TS is not checking their assets and rely on the fact that one day someone finds that they are mis advertised ...and by then someone who doesn't know and published their content a long time ago making a lot of money with their creation, it could have added up.

...so... anyway... that is what I am doing right now and it feels better to take the time and properly get it sorted out since I want to publish it and get some investment back, haha