Alpha Windows: Turn Based Stratedgy (with NUCS!)

TheWaffle

Currently you can play 5 out of 6 tutorials and tinker with the map editor. Not sure if multiplayer hot-seat is working. (Alpha Release). The tutorials should only take you about 15 minutes to run through. The objective
is to demonstrate HOW to play, not how to win ;) so, the tutorials are very easy and have no AI. The AI is what I am working on at this time. Single player does not work at this time except for TUT 1-5. TUT6 will be for testing AI.

link is
http://archonrpg.com/gmstudio/hextbs102.zip

This game is based on ...
http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Kriegspiel_(1970)

with my own ideas added for making the game easier/friendlier; and vassal does not support single player games.

I have been distracted by my 3D printer (fixed it, got it working again), maybe I have too many projects.
Currently going over my design docs to refresh myself with this project.

htbs.jpg

Last edited:

Morendral

I like the concept, I'm working on something similar myself but not exactly.

I would check your symbology though. The icons you have dont match the nato symbols that the kriegspiel uses, as well as most other games. Unless you are going for something different, but i would caution against that as most gamers in this genre are familiar with them already and come to expect that standardization.

TheWaffle

I like the concept, I'm working on something similar myself but not exactly.

I would check your symbology though. The icons you have dont match the nato symbols that the kriegspiel uses, as well as most other games. Unless you are going for something different, but i would caution against that as most gamers in this genre are familiar with them already and come to expect that standardization.
Which ones are different? I tried to make them the same. Due to resolution issues, the paratrooper icon has some minor differences, and my color scheme is different ... KS uses Red VS Black while mine uses Red VS Blue (Yellow is neutral and does not attack). Although the attack/move/defend values are the same, I chose not add them to the icon for visibility issues. Attack and Defensive postures are my own and are representing by numbers instead of names. The Icons shown are Special Forces (crossed flags), Infantry (X), Paratroopers (X with shrouds under it, looks like a funny m) and Armor (funny O for the tracks). Due to resolution problems, the (O) looks like it has wings.

Morendral

Well some of the ones you just mentioned aren't correct.

The paratroopers are airborne and the modifier is what looks like a curvy "m" in the middle bottom. From the screen it looks like a dot with a chevron on top of it.

Special forces isn't crossed flags, it's "SF" alone centered and large. I'm not sure why that game used them, it might be old and obsolete but it's not what's used right now.

The rest of what you listed is correct to the nato standard. I wouldn't use that game for a guide anymore for symbols though, as I said previously it is probably outdated.

TheWaffle

Ah OK, KS is dated at 1970 and I based my drawings on that. My icons are small at 32x32 and shrunken by 50% (scaled down the map) for rendering. KS did not win any awards when released because it was a last minute game created solely to meet a deadline for Avalon Hill Games. Many players called it "The Checkers of War Games". Maybe I will change the SF symbol or simply make it optional for players to decide.

changed for next release, not uploaded yet. Can be changed in the .ini file (not fully documented yet)
but there is a note in the design doc (change history version 2.01) Having a hard time finding time to work on AI, daughter's dental checkups this week, may be time for braces... fun times ahead.

Last edited:

TheWaffle

This thread posted for deletion.
I do not have time to continue this project at this time, probably need a major redesign anyway.
I have made progress on the AI, but it is not implemented at this time. If someone wants source, just email me or PM.
waffle.

TheWaffle

Think of it as a time limit to ask for source. If nobody asks before it is deleted, then I feel nobody was interested. O'couse, someone that is still interested, even after deletion, can still PM me by looking at my profile :bash:

24aug, removed the "Please Delete" request. Maybe someone (a mod?) wants me to finish this. I have reduced my overtime at work, so maybe when my current "smallish" project is playable, I'll return to this one and see what I can do. Currently working on an RTS game (that i wanted to be based on this one, my original plan, but since not finished, it's its own thing). AI for an RTS is, in some ways, much easier. To make things interesting, I have already added in enough AI that ships
will try and dodge attacks or run away if overwhelmed. Base AI will mostly be just a simple priority que for maintaining a proper fleet... nothing too fancy (i hope).

Last edited: